akheel

Default To the A-Hole at Lake Mojave Who Stole My Stuff

I had a great time at Lake Mojave this 4th of July weekend, but it ended on
a sour note. We "camp" on the lake during the day and pull the boat each
night and stay in a nice air conditioned hotel in nearby Laughlin.
Thousands of others do the same. As is the custom, we left our gear at our
site overnight, covered with the tarps from our awnings. We've never had a
problem before, and felt relatively safe, since the site is only accessible
by boat.

We left about 7pm on the 4th to see the fireworks over the river outside of
the hotel. We got back late the next day at around 1pm. Well, for the
first time in 10 years, someone had ripped us off. A few hundred dollars
worth, but that's not the point. The kids had looked forward to playing on
the floating island we had. We looked forward to sitting on the beach on
chairs. The took everything and obviously spent some time. The only thing
left were our awnings (thank G-d, at least we had shade) and oddly enough,
our barbeque. This was odd, because believe it our not, they took the
half-bag of charcoal we had left. They took my daughter's water shoes (what
the hell are they gonna do with that?) and my favorite land anchor with the
built in slide hammer. They took my buddy's jet ski anchor, which is just a
bag full of rocks and a rope.

Anyway, when I see boat sales are up 21% I don't necessaryily think that's
a good thing. Obviously, based on my experience, any jerk can buy a boat.
Just another carefree activity that is less so now. Thanks to whomever.
Tom

"akheel" wrote in message
[...]

Yep, back in the early '50's when we first moved to our house on the Rock
River in Illinois, we left our boats tied to the bank with "rope" and never
took our fishing poles and gas tanks out of the boats. But about 1958, when
dependable larger boat motors, electric start and people with the money to
buy them came along, the boating population really jumped up. Had to start
locking everything up. Even the boat gas (at 25 cents per gallon) would
disappear overnight.
Tom G.

Gary Warner

That sucks. But it's also not very smart to leave
your valuables unsecured. That's just the way it is.

Ookie Wonderslug

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 03:22:27 GMT, akheel
wrote:

[...]

Let's see, you left your stuff out in the open in the middle of the
lake for almost 16 hours on 4th of July weekend and now you're mad it
got stolen. Well, WTF did you think was going to happen? I don't know
of any place in the nation you can leave anything of any value for 16
hours and expect it to still be there when you get back. This ain't
the 70's anymore. Even then you couldn't count on people being honest.
After all, they DID make locks back then for a reason. I worry about
leaving my worn-out and beat-up POS truck at the launch while I'm
fishing, or leaving my lawn service equipment outside the Lowe's
whilst I purchase a bale of pine straw. It only takes a second for
people to steal from you. Chalk this up to a lesson in common sense
and move on. Those who put their trust in the integrity of others are
invariably disappointed.

akheel

Ookie Wonderslug wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

First, it doesn't make it right. Second, I live in a big city, have locks
and alarms on everything, have been burglarized, had my car stolen from my
driveway, so I'm fully aware of the perils of modern society. I'm no rube
and have lots of common sense, not withstanding your arrogant,
condescending, didactic post. Nevertheless, it had always been a little
different with the situation at the lake I described. Hundreds, if not
more, do exactly as I described every day, if for no other reason than to
save the spot for the next day, as most people don't want to sleep out in
100+ heat and the hotels are real cheap and full of food and fun. The
social order on that lake anyway sort of depends on an unwritten code of
hands off the other guy's stuff. You can't get to the spot except by a
power boat launched from one of three ramps within a National recreation
area and there are no homes, roads, or any other access. That means you
have to have invested in a tow vehicle and a motor boat. One would think
that would weed out a substantial number of derelicts right there, but
obviously not all. The stuff stolen had no resale value to speak of, even
at a swap meet (wanna buy some used water shoes?) so the thieves must have
been either stupid or wanted the stuff for themselves. I believe the later,
and that's why I posted. Cause even if this incident is a fact of modern
life now, they're still jerks, I can complain if I want to, and who knows,
maybe they read this newsgroup and will realize how pathetic their lives
have become when they stoop to stealing children's toys.

Ookie Wonderslug

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 09:45:44 GMT, akheel
wrote:

[...]

I never wrote that the thieves weren't wrong. In my book there is
little lower than a thief. I work too hard for what I have for people
to think they can go and steal what they want. We both agree that
whoever did the stealing were inconsiderate assholes who need a
serious beating.

But really, in every group of people there will be someone who is sick
enough to steal just to be stealing. Doesn't matter where you are.
One cannot go around believing that any place is safe from those types
anymore. I wish it wasn't so, but it is. It was naive of you to
leave your stuff there. Everyone else who leaves their stuff there
should be willing to come back and find it gone. Not be happy about
it by any means, that would be absurd. However the suprise should be
in returning to find your possesions where you left them. Camping in
a 100 degree desert doesn't sound real smart. I would find a hotel
too. I just wouldn't take anything with me that couldn't fit easily
back on the boat for the night at the hotel. A good spot is nice to
have, but then again, so it your stuff.