uncle k

Default Inventing a moorage "shoe" for tideflats

We live near the mouth of a river, on a sal****er bay. When the tide is in,
the average depth is about 13' and comes right up to the bulkhead. At a 0'
or minus tide, the mudflats are exposed. On our side, the flats go out
about 1/2 mile, then there is a sudden drop off to 35 fathoms. Needless to
say, this presents a challenge, trying to time it right when we come and go
in a boat.

That challenge aside, the next hurdle is where and how to moor the boat.
Much of our tidelands are covered with oysters, which can do serious damage
to the hull. I have a fixed mooring buoy, where the boat can rest on a
harmless, muddy area, at low tide. But, even that doesn't always do the
trick, depending on the pattern of tides for the different seasons... i.e.
summer and winter tides are extreme - spring and fall tides are more
mundane.

My idea is to build a boat-shoe. Something I can drive the boat into, then
move it in or out to suit the tides, so we aren't left high and dry. The
other benefit is that it would include a sling, keeping the boat off the
bottom, regardless of the tide. Generally, it would look like a simple boat
slip, using pressure-treated lumber and styrofoam logs. I'm thinking maybe
a few lengths of firehose would work for a sling that the hull could rest
on, when the tide is out.

So far, this is just an idea. I'm curious as to whether anyone has actually
used such a contraption and has any info to share. Or, maybe someone has a
better idea. I'm all ears. Thanks in advance for any constructive
thoughts.

Unc

PS Not that it matters (as far as concept goes), but I will be using this
for a 14' glass runabout and a 16' wood cuddy cabin, both with outboards.

uncle k

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Holy smokes! I thought *I* had problems trying to cobble together

something
to hold outriggers on my too-small boat. Where is this place you live???

Olympic Peninsula, western WA. Bays which empty completely at low tide are
not uncommon throughout the southern Puget Sound area. Living here is a
matter of balancing trade-offs. While we don't have deep water moorage, we
also don't have a lot of people, and all the problems associated with same.
We do have an awesome view of the Olympic Mountains, clean air, crystal
clear water, abundant seafood at our door and daily wildlife shows. We
wouldn't trade it for anything, especially the rat race on the other side of
the Sound.

Unc

Doug Kanter

"uncle k" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

Sounds spectacular, especially the seafood. Can you liquidate jet ski people
without anyone hearing the shots? :-)

uncle k

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

Sounds spectacular, especially the seafood. Can you liquidate jet ski

people
without anyone hearing the shots? :-)

Now that you mention it, piano wire stretched between buoys would be the
"quiet" solution. If you look at a chart, this bay is not considered
navigable, so it's not heavily traveled. The few that do jet ski by only
add to the entertainment.

Unc

Doug Kanter

"uncle k" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

Sounds spectacular, especially the seafood. Can you liquidate jet ski

people
without anyone hearing the shots? :-)

Now that you mention it, piano wire stretched between buoys would be the
"quiet" solution. If you look at a chart, this bay is not considered
navigable, so it's not heavily traveled. The few that do jet ski by only
add to the entertainment.

Unc

I'm picturing jet skiiers face down in the mud, and you winning the top
prize at America's Funniest Home Videos!

Calif Bill

Buy an old boat trailer and put tall side guides on it. Then you could tie
off the boat and as the water fell, the boat would land on the bunks and be
just like trailered. You may have to add more plates on the bottom to
prevent the trailer from sinking in to the ooze.

"uncle k" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

uncle k

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
Buy an old boat trailer and put tall side guides on it. Then you could

tie
off the boat and as the water fell, the boat would land on the bunks and

be
just like trailered. You may have to add more plates on the bottom to
prevent the trailer from sinking in to the ooze.

I appreciate the idea, but can't visualize it working... The trailer would
need to be submerged when the tide is in. The salt would eat a steel
trailer in short order. Tying it off at the bow and both sides would keep
it from banging the sides, but keeping it centered, precisely, would be next
to impossible, at times when the wind kicks up (thus, the firehose sling
idea). Also, the additional weight of a trailer would require much more
flotation than I had in mind.

I could just trailer the boat, but the whole idea is to have it readily
available for use at any time... assuming there is water in the bay, of
course.

Thanks,

Unc