BoatBanter.com

-   -   A little bit bent prop ... like a little pregnant? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/5368-little-bit-bent-prop-like-little-pregnant.html)

Mark July 4th 04 08:36 AM

A little bit bent prop ... like a little pregnant?

I backed into a sandbar and bent my prop tips a little. Is that like
being a little bit pregnant? They're bent and the prop needs to be
replaced?

bomar July 4th 04 12:08 PM

A little bit bent prop ... like a little pregnant?

If you want to ruin your lower unit, it's fine.
Take it to a prop shop and have it rebuilt.
Avoid any ideas of taking it off and beating it back yourself.
It needs to be balanced.

om...

JamesgangNC July 4th 04 02:08 PM

A little bit bent prop ... like a little pregnant?

Depends on how bent and if it's ss or aluminum. I've straightened small
dents in the edge of ss props. But if it's much more that than then take it
to a prop shop.

om...

Capt. Matt July 6th 04 12:29 AM

A little bit bent prop ... like a little pregnant?

damn hard sand... go with stainless. If you feel a wobble you are stressing
the unit, maybe even if you don't! efficiency is absolutely affected.

om...

Matt Lang July 6th 04 06:11 AM

(Mark) wrote in message . com...
I backed into a sandbar and bent my prop tips a little. Is that like
being a little bit pregnant? They're bent and the prop needs to be
replaced?

You are lucky! I hit ground at Flank speed yesterday :(
... luckily was very soft ... lower unit and prop look like they were
sandblasted now..

But as others said, get it balanced and straightned professionally
otheriwse it will be hard on your lower unit...

Matt

Camilo July 6th 04 09:47 PM

A little bit bent prop ... like a little pregnant?

"Matt Lang" wrote in message
om...
(Mark) wrote in message

. com...
I backed into a sandbar and bent my prop tips a little. Is that like
being a little bit pregnant? They're bent and the prop needs to be
replaced?

You are lucky! I hit ground at Flank speed yesterday :(
.. luckily was very soft ... lower unit and prop look like they were
sandblasted now..

But as others said, get it balanced and straightned professionally
otheriwse it will be hard on your lower unit...

Matt

I agree with the above. Unless it's VERY minor, touch-up type damage, have
a pro fix it and spare your drive.

And having been there done that, the next thing I think of is that you are
thinking to yourself: "I wish I could do it myself and just get back on the
water. A prop shop delay is going to cost me a couple of weeks of boating."

So if you don't already have one, get a second prop to get yourself back in
business right away while you're waiting for the repair to the old one.
Three reasons: first, the above delay factor. Second, it's always good to
have a spare prop - you will encounter this situation again, and worst
case is the spare will get you home. Best case is that it will prevent
out-of-service frustration. If your original prop is aluminum, and if you
can afford it, you might consider using it as an opportunity to check into a
suitable stainless steel prop (search this forum for + and - of SS vs
aluminum) - and work with a shop that will let you experiment to get the
right one. If your original is SS, buy a cheaper, but properly fitted,
aluminum prop as a spare. Again work with a good shop to get the right one.
If you don't know it already, the specs for an al. vs. SS prop for similar
performance will be different - because of the differing metals used.
Third: Whether you decide on SS or AL, you might also use it as an
opportunity to make your spare prop serve a different purpose as the
original - one shaded toward speed duty, one toward power duty.

Just see this as an opportunity to spend money! er, I mean, better equip
your boat.

Cam

Rod McInnis July 6th 04 11:39 PM

A little bit bent prop ... like a little pregnant?

"Mark" wrote in message
om...

I backed into a sandbar and bent my prop tips a little. Is that like
being a little bit pregnant? They're bent and the prop needs to be
replaced?

Well, not exactly.

If it is just a little bit bent then it can probably be fixed, which is
often a lot cheaper than replacing.

Rod