Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Doug Kanter

Default Does rafting cause brain damage?

Disclaimer: The behavior I'm about to describe does not bother me at all,
since I never anchor close enough for it to matter. No comments from the
peanut gallery, Dave.

Onward: There's a cove where I fish frequently. At the mouth of the cove on
any nice weekend, there'll be 5-10 boats rafted. I usually row in from that
point to avoid collecting weeds in my prop. Since my motor's off, it's easy
to notice that pretty much every one of those rafted boats has a different
song playing from its stereo system. I'm curious: Why would anyone go
through the trouble of owning a boat, fueling it, and tying it onto others,
just to spend an afternoon in the equivalent of an audio showroom gone mad?
:-)

The rafters had an interesting afternoon yesterday. I was anchored about
1000 feet away, deeper into the cover. The lying scum weather man said we'd
have 10-15 mph breezes. They were more like 30-35 mph. 6 rafted boats, 30-35
ft each, cut loose from their anchor(s), and came drifting into the cove en
masse at about 5 mph. While rafted, they were about 1 boat skinnier than the
widest part of the cove, and the water on either edge is about a foot deep.
There are low overhanging trees on either edge, too. It was quite the comedy
watching these folks try to disconnect quickly.

spark plug broke! any damage running 3 cylinders? jim General 4 April 20th 04 08:38 PM
Cold temps and possible engine damage? [email protected] General 6 November 5th 03 05:07 AM
Stainless Prop Damage M.E. General 15 September 25th 03 02:39 AM
Hull Damage Jim General 3 July 21st 03 07:15 AM
Hull Damage Tony Thomas General 3 July 12th 03 03:41 AM