Clams Canino

Default Karen will love this one.... LOL

Customer boat - on a budget.

Merc 1500 - water jacket rotted to **** and clogged - overheated top 3.

Dome erosion on top three.

#3 had the top locating pin come loose and put a pretty mean gouge in the
cylinder.

All 6 sleeves worn .003 over spec.

Sooo.........................

Ordered a .030 oversizepison.

Machine shop took #3 .032 over - gouge gone and it's still .001 under the
rest of them as far as wear goes. things that make you go Hmmmmm)

Dome erosion on #1 and #2 matched almost perfectly. A little cleaning,
filing, and balancing and they are a perfectly matched pair somewhere
between a new factory hi-dome and a new factory low-dome. LOL sigh

New #3 and old #4 were easily balanced.

#5 and #6 were unnafected by anything.

New rings all around. (of course)

(Of interest was the considerable carbon buildup OVER the erosion and
splatter, including #3. Looks like whatever happened was well in the past
and the motor stayed in service at least a season or two since. Surprising
since the water-clogging was so severe - they must have gone easy on it and
used decent fuel.)

Lower crank bearing was DOA - seals shot - lower crank a bit pitted but not
bad. Polished it up a bit and used the 3 seal method with lotsa
grease between them. The new lower crank bearing should be water free for a
long time to come.

Replaced both outer jacket plates. Innermost plate was OK, lotsa carbon.
Left it
alone.

All journals and needles were in spec. (thank God for small favors)

The reeds were unremarkable.

Cleaned the carbs.

So......... I kept my promise.

I got the thing back up and running, in decent condition for under $1000 all
everything included.

The motor is used about 10 times a year for fishing. It drives the boat
about 10 miles out and then the trolling motor takes over. Then it drives
the boat and the fishes back to dock.

It can do that now - for years to come no doubt.
Hell, it was doing it *before* I cracked it open.

Am I "thrilled"? Not particularly. shrug

Am I satisfied? Yeah, it'll live on to do what it does.

-W

Ðon ßailey

You're not charging enough.

db~what the hell is wrong with you?

"Clams Canino" wrote in message
Customer boat - on a budget.

Merc 1500 - water jacket rotted to **** and clogged - overheated top 3.

Dome erosion on top three.

Rural Knight

"Clams Canino" wrote in message
Customer boat - on a budget.

~~ snippage of repair ~~

Gee - maybe we ought to have a "Trading Boats" program instead
of "Trading Spaces". ;)

It can do that now - for years to come no doubt.
Hell, it was doing it *before* I cracked it open.

The reason he cracked it open? Because it was there. ;)

Am I "thrilled"? Not particularly. shrug

Am I satisfied? Yeah, it'll live on to do what it does.

When I did my '50 International L-110 a few years ago, the main
question as to why I was restoring this old rust bucket of a pickup
truck.

My answer was - "So it will live on".

I've done a couple of tractors, two trucks, a Corvette and a
bunch of boats - all were worth the effort because they all
live on.

You 'da man Clams - you 'da man...

Later,

Tom

Clams Canino

Heh - funny update. As I was assembling it - he called with a change of
heart on #1 and #2.
(caught me JUST in time)

He bought a pair of good used ones at 50% of new. Was willing to go new -
but since I had the used ones on hand cheaper.... Let me keep the old 2
for my trouble.

Soo... in go a more "correct" 1 and 2 - and I'll machine down the two old
Hi-domes right down to Low-dome specs for the next post 1980 that comes
along to need them.

-W sigh

And ya - I get a flat $500 plus parts, plus machining, plus stud work. -
thats fair for an overhaul of a 30 year old powerhead. It does not include
remove and replace powerhead labor either. And don't forget I sell the parts
at list -10%. Think I pay anywhere near that??

This was supposed to be a hobby........ sigh