Jon.boston

Default Mercury 225Hp Optimax, 2000.. Burns too much oil?

The boat I just bought has a Merc 2000, optimax 225 engine, it seems
to burn too much oil. It seems to use about 3 gallons of oil for
every 80 gallons of gas.. Is there an adjustment or some likely
thing to check.

Thanks,
Jon
Tony Thomas

That is definetly excessive. How are you normally running the boat. Do
you do a lot of idling or almost all top end running?

To my knowledge there is no adjustment. Check for line leaks also.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Jon.boston" wrote in message
om...
The boat I just bought has a Merc 2000, optimax 225 engine, it seems
to burn too much oil. It seems to use about 3 gallons of oil for
every 80 gallons of gas.. Is there an adjustment or some likely
thing to check.

Thanks,
Jon

Clams Canino

Yes, I think it's burning too much oil. I'd expect 2 per 100 - or less.

NO you don't wanna screw with it. A 225 Opti is *far* too expensive a motor
to repair to risk "fiddling" with such a critical system as the oil
injection.

That's one problem to take to a competant mechanic and have checked out.

Change your own plugs, do your own waterpump and lower unit lube, but don't
go sticking the "golden screwdriver" into an Opti.

-W

"Jon.boston" wrote in message
om...
The boat I just bought has a Merc 2000, optimax 225 engine, it seems
to burn too much oil. It seems to use about 3 gallons of oil for
every 80 gallons of gas.. Is there an adjustment or some likely
thing to check.

Thanks,
Jon

Harry Krause

Clams Canino wrote:
Yes, I think it's burning too much oil. I'd expect 2 per 100 - or less.

NO you don't wanna screw with it. A 225 Opti is *far* too expensive a motor
to repair to risk "fiddling" with such a critical system as the oil
injection.

That's one problem to take to a competant mechanic and have checked out.

Change your own plugs, do your own waterpump and lower unit lube, but don't
go sticking the "golden screwdriver" into an Opti.

-W

I would guess the on-board computer has the hiccups. Nothing a backyard
mechanic can fix.
Clams Canino

Yep.

-W

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

I would guess the on-board computer has the hiccups. Nothing a backyard
mechanic can fix.

Woodchuck

Not usually having a little too much oil ain't bad. Doing the math 80gal of
gas and 3 gal relates to a fuel oil ratio of about 26 to 1. This assumes
your gas & oil usage is correct. What I would do is keep accurate(measure
don't estimate) record of how much oil and gas you are adding and then when
it goes in for service you will have some information for the shop to work
with. Keep a log book.

"Jon.boston" wrote in message
om...
Can burning too much oil hurt anything? It's hard to get anyone to
look at anything in the summer.

Jon

"Clams Canino" wrote in message

thlink.net...
Yes, I think it's burning too much oil. I'd expect 2 per 100 - or less.

NO you don't wanna screw with it. A 225 Opti is *far* too expensive a

motor
to repair to risk "fiddling" with such a critical system as the oil
injection.

That's one problem to take to a competant mechanic and have checked out.

Change your own plugs, do your own waterpump and lower unit lube, but

don't
go sticking the "golden screwdriver" into an Opti.

-W

"Jon.boston" wrote in message
om...
The boat I just bought has a Merc 2000, optimax 225 engine, it seems
to burn too much oil. It seems to use about 3 gallons of oil for
every 80 gallons of gas.. Is there an adjustment or some likely
thing to check.

Thanks,
Jon

Tony Thomas

Too much oil will foul the plugs and will not give you optimum burn rate
which provides optimum performance. It can also cause excess carbon buildup
in the engine and over time can cause heat buildup and detonation to occur.

I never saw a response to my other question - how do you use the engine.
Lots of top end running, lots of idling?

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Jon.boston" wrote in message
om...
Can burning too much oil hurt anything? It's hard to get anyone to
look at anything in the summer.

Jon

"Clams Canino" wrote in message

thlink.net...
Yes, I think it's burning too much oil. I'd expect 2 per 100 - or less.

NO you don't wanna screw with it. A 225 Opti is *far* too expensive a

motor
to repair to risk "fiddling" with such a critical system as the oil
injection.

That's one problem to take to a competant mechanic and have checked out.

Change your own plugs, do your own waterpump and lower unit lube, but

don't
go sticking the "golden screwdriver" into an Opti.

-W

"Jon.boston" wrote in message
om...
The boat I just bought has a Merc 2000, optimax 225 engine, it seems
to burn too much oil. It seems to use about 3 gallons of oil for
every 80 gallons of gas.. Is there an adjustment or some likely
thing to check.

Thanks,
Jon

PInc972390

The boat I just bought has a Merc 2000, optimax 225 engine, it seems
to burn too much oil. It seems to use about 3 gallons of oil for
every 80 gallons of gas..

My pair of 200 HP HPDI Yamahas burn about that much oil if you run them hard.
Kind of depressing.
Ron White

When you get these engine the computer is set to double oil during
break-in.Your comsumption figures seen to fall into the double oil range. As
I understand, break-in is not a set number of hours but depends on how many
hours at what speed. But for a rule of thumb, 100 hours should be plenty to
satisfy the computer. Also after service work anybody with a Mercury DDT
(scan tool with Merc programs) can reset the double oiling. This would be
the case if a new powerhead was installed or an overhaul was done by someone
with the proper shop equipment. The Merc SmartCraft gages can tell you the
hours or you can have someone plug it into a DDT to get the hours and
break-in status.
Bottom line, if you don't know the break-in status you can just put some
hours on it and see if that "fixes" it. Don't worry, be happy.

--
Ron White
Boat building web address is

2000 OptiMax Oil System Scott General 6 March 10th 04 12:46 PM
Mercury outboard carburetors Rod McInnis General 5 March 6th 04 03:00 AM
Mercury optimax outboards Mark Stirn General 1 February 25th 04 04:51 AM
Mercury Optimax Problems Scott General 10 December 11th 03 04:04 PM