jim--

Default Tying docklines to piling - best way , esp. with a very long line

"Greg" wrote in message
"Pile Hitch" is just the ticket - thanks!

I can't seem to find the link that describes this.

http://www.scoutingresources.org.uk/..._pilehitch.pdf

Werlax

jim-- wrote:
"Greg" wrote in message
"Pile Hitch" is just the ticket - thanks!

I can't seem to find the link that describes this.

http://www.scoutingresources.org.uk/..._pilehitch.pdf

The one I found was at http://www.layhands.com/knots/Knots_Hitches.htm

DSK

Great links, thanks for posting them.

Werlax wrote:
The one I found was at http://www.layhands.com/knots/Knots_Hitches.htm

But the original question was what to do with a dockline when you can't
get to the top of the piling (or it's inconveniently too high).

Here's the only link I can find to the tugboat hitch
http://www.scoutxing.com/knots/light...mans_hitch.htm
but it can be finished with a half hitch (on a bight, technically)
around the standing part (the part that takes the strain) instead of
putting the loop over the top.

Another knot that accomplishes the same purpose, at the link above, is
the Highwayman's Hitch (I wonder how that got it's name). But with the
light line I tried it on, it was difficult to get the line to take up
properly under strain. Will try again this weekend with real dockline.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Mitchell Gossman

Go to google.com and type in "pile hitch" and there are lots of links.
This is a great hitch... I am surprised it's not out there more.
Reminiscent of the anchor bend but don't need the end.

"Pile Hitch" is just the ticket - thanks!

I can't seem to find the link that describes this.

Garth Almgren

Around 6/14/2004 10:30 AM, Mitchell Gossman wrote:

I'm a boating newbie. When tying docklines to a pier with pilings,
what's the best way when you have a significant excess length to the
line, i.e. without having to use the end?

I just use a round turn and two half hitches with the line bighted. It
can be tied very quickly and seems to hold well.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing