Paul Schilter

Default Deisels using vegtable oil

There was a story in the Detroit News about car diesels using vegetable oil
obtained from local restaurants. You have to start the engine with diesel
fuel but when the vegetable oil gets heated to where it's thin enough you
switch over to the vegetable oil. The story said that the restaurants are
glad to give it away for free so they don't have to pay to have it hauled
away. The first image I got was a piece of French Fry getting into the
injector. The story didn't mention any filtering of the vegetable oil. I
think I'd have to hear a lot of favorable first hand reports before I'd
think of trying this. Exhaust fumes would be different though.
Paul

Gould 0738

The bio-diesel really needs to be mixed with dead-dino-diesel. Pure McDonald's
diesel reacts badly with the synthetic materials in the fuel system, (hoses,
etc).

I burn an 80/20 mix. 80% dead dinosaurs, 20% artery clogger. They sell it at
the fuel dock. It's about 25 cents a gallon more than straight dino-diesel, but
it makes a small contribution toward a better environment.

Jim

Gould 0738 wrote:

removed
... 20% artery clogger.

LOL, thanks!

-Jim

Paul Schilter

Chuck,
You'd think they'd give it to you for 25 cents a gallon cheaper. But
hats off to you for spending extra for the environment.
Paul

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
The bio-diesel really needs to be mixed with dead-dino-diesel. Pure

McDonald's
diesel reacts badly with the synthetic materials in the fuel system,

(hoses,
etc).

I burn an 80/20 mix. 80% dead dinosaurs, 20% artery clogger. They sell it

at
the fuel dock. It's about 25 cents a gallon more than straight

dino-diesel, but
it makes a small contribution toward a better environment.

Gould 0738

Chuck,
You'd think they'd give it to you for 25 cents a gallon cheaper. But
hats off to you for spending extra for the environment.
Paul

It's probably a lot more labor intensive to produce the french fry fuel than
the dead dino diesel.

My theory is that if I can afford a boat, and I'm going to burn fuel, I can
afford to burn fuel that is at least partially renewable or recycled.

Did you know that Rudoph Diesel originally designed his engine to run on peanut
oil, rather than petroleum?

JR North

Run it in my Diesel Rabbit all the time. Not straight, but
mixed in with diesel. No problems.
JR

--
Remove X to reply

The technology you are talking about is SVO, or Straight Vegetable
Oil. Involved starting as you said using Diesel, then switching over
to thinned vegetable oil (by heating the oil with an heat exchanger).
Need to switch back before stopping though to purge the system of Veg
Oil. As I understand it, injector pumps which use fuel oil for
lubrication will not work for this, while those which use a different
source (e.g. an oil sump) might.

There is also a conversion process to make Bio Diesel. This involved
Ethel, and hence the issues with some rubber seals and such. It is
possible to purchase this from 100% Bio diesel, or is some mix
(80/20% seems common) with regular diesel.

Have not used either process myself.
-al-

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 21:17:47 -0400, "Paul Schilter"
[...]

http://www.bio-power.co.uk/links.htm
http://www.dieselveg.com/links.htm
http://www.sovereignty.org.uk/featur.../biofuel2.html
http://www.greasecar.com/
http://www.kelseyville.com/biodsl/
http://www.veggiepower.org.uk/main.htm

All the above are related. Hope this helps

Andy