Charlie Brown

Default Is this too much motor for this boat?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I see the rating inside the cockpit of this boat is for a max of 140
hp. What would be the ill effects of having a 150 hp motor on this
boat?

Charlie Brown wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I see the rating inside the cockpit of this boat is for a max of 140
hp. What would be the ill effects of having a 150 hp motor on this
boat?

Probably none that are too serious, if you're even moderately lucky.

A few considerations;

Older boats were typically rated with the *weight* of a two stroke in
mind. Now that most outboards seem to be four stroke, and somewhat
heavier, one has to wonder what the builder would rate the boats for
today. From a weight perspective, it could be a bit less HP than
before.

Make sure the transom is sound in any boat, of course, but it is even
more critical if you are going to be exerting the weight and pressure
on the transom associated with a max HP installation.

Marine insurance: One would want to be confident that in the event of a
really messy or major insurance claim the underwriter didn't send out
an investigator who might conclude, "The policyholder knowingly and
deliberately equipped the boat beyond it's rated HP capacity, and this
unsafe, non-conforming usage demonstrates reckless behavior not covered
by the policy." Watch for this excuse if you have a property claim for
your boat due to a failed transom or a liability issue where you
accidentally ran somebody down while operating at a high speed.

akheel

wrote in
oups.com:

Charlie Brown wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&item=45757160
14&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

[...]

Every marine policy I've obtained had the underwriter asking me the HP of
the engine. Assuming the OP is truthful and the insurance company accepts
the application, there shouldn't be a problem later of them claiming too
much HP.
PocoLoco

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 15:39:51 GMT, Charlie Brown wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I see the rating inside the cockpit of this boat is for a max of 140
hp. What would be the ill effects of having a 150 hp motor on this
boat?

Getting caught?
--
John H