louis

Default Mounting Outboard to Aluminum Hull

Is there any precaution I should know about when mounting an outboard
to an aluminum hull? Do I need to put something between the two metals
or does it matter?

Also, does the bolts needs to be coated with anything special prior to
insertion? Lastly, what do I do with the old holes? I can't keep the
old bolts in the hole as the bolt head will contact the mounting plates
of the new outboard. Would 5200 be sufficient to fill the holes?
Thanks!

Doug Kanter

"louis" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is there any precaution I should know about when mounting an outboard
to an aluminum hull? Do I need to put something between the two metals
or does it matter?

Also, does the bolts needs to be coated with anything special prior to
insertion? Lastly, what do I do with the old holes? I can't keep the
old bolts in the hole as the bolt head will contact the mounting plates
of the new outboard. Would 5200 be sufficient to fill the holes?
Thanks!

"between the two metals" - are you saying that there's a double layer of
aluminum and there appears to be nothing inside? Hollow? That doesn't sound
right.

Bill McKee

"louis" wrote in message
oups.com...
No, I was referring to the outboard motor metal contacting the aluminum
hull. I'm thinking more in terms of electrolysis.

Doug Kanter wrote:
"louis" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is there any precaution I should know about when mounting an outboard
to an aluminum hull? Do I need to put something between the two metals
or does it matter?

Also, does the bolts needs to be coated with anything special prior to
insertion? Lastly, what do I do with the old holes? I can't keep the
old bolts in the hole as the bolt head will contact the mounting plates
of the new outboard. Would 5200 be sufficient to fill the holes?
Thanks!

"between the two metals" - are you saying that there's a double layer of
aluminum and there appears to be nothing inside? Hollow? That doesn't
sound
right.

Never had a problem with electrolosis on either of my aluminim boats. The
Kicker on my Jetboat is bolted on and the motor on my 14' Valco was clamped
on. One the Valco, I added a thicker piece of aluminum on the outside and
the inside to help protect from wear, on the thin aluminum outside and the
wood inside.