Argo

Default add a rudder to a kayak?

Has anyone ever retro-fitted a rudder to a plastic kayak? I've been
plotting how that might be done with the small, plastic kayak I got on
points. It doesn't track at all (which makes it great in a tight slalom
run, but gives my girlfriend fits when she's trying to paddle across
flat water).

I'm not worried about the aesthetics of wires running along the top of
the kayak, if that would make it simpler. Is it possible? Is it a LOT
of work?

Argo
http://greenrealm.blogspot.com

Its work.
The manufacturer may have a kit , otherwise you are in for work.
I would look at making a skeg.
Check out some of the slip over skegs tat are available for the R5 or
Pelanski Spirit and copy them.

minicooper

i have a necky looksha lv sport that came without a rudder. i used it for
about three months with my friend with a rudder. for my birthday present
that year, my friend bought a rudder kit, and had the kayak shop install it
for me. worth every penny (whatever it cost ... i don't know amount because
it was a gift) ... it makes such a difference! check with your kayak dealer
and see if they can help you.
"Argo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone ever retro-fitted a rudder to a plastic kayak? I've been
plotting how that might be done with the small, plastic kayak I got on
points. It doesn't track at all (which makes it great in a tight slalom
run, but gives my girlfriend fits when she's trying to paddle across
flat water).

I'm not worried about the aesthetics of wires running along the top of
the kayak, if that would make it simpler. Is it possible? Is it a LOT
of work?

Argo
http://greenrealm.blogspot.com

minicooper

i hope i'm replying to group: of course in retrospect i would have enjoyed
a kayak with a rudder from the beginning. but it cost more, was my first
boat, the kayak dealer said i wouldn't need a rudder in morro bay. my
friend bought his with the rudder. i couldn't keep up. i was more tired
than he. it was more fun when i had a rudder too.
"KMAN" wrote in message
in article , minicooper at
wrote on 9/13/05 8:43 PM:

i have a necky looksha lv sport that came without a rudder. i used it
for
about three months with my friend with a rudder. for my birthday present
that year, my friend bought a rudder kit, and had the kayak shop install
it
for me. worth every penny (whatever it cost ... i don't know amount
because
it was a gift) ... it makes such a difference! check with your kayak
dealer
and see if they can help you.

Seems a better idea to try your kayak before you buy and not purchase one
that needs a rudder to track properly.

"Argo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone ever retro-fitted a rudder to a plastic kayak? I've been
plotting how that might be done with the small, plastic kayak I got on
points. It doesn't track at all (which makes it great in a tight slalom
run, but gives my girlfriend fits when she's trying to paddle across
flat water).

I'm not worried about the aesthetics of wires running along the top of
the kayak, if that would make it simpler. Is it possible? Is it a LOT
of work?

Argo
http://greenrealm.blogspot.com

Grip

I mostly teach White Water yakin' but I started out with a touring boat. I
was discouraged from buying a rudder for the first few months, and it made
me a MUCH better paddler, as I would have at first ( as most do ) thought of
it as a "sterring wheel". Once you learned to paddle properly, ANY boat
tracks. The hardest thing to teach a noobie in WW boat is to make it go
straight. And yes, I understand that a rudder can help in windy or cross
current conditions. Guess it depends upon one's sense of instant
gratification and willingness to put time into given activity. Paddle on!
"minicooper" wrote in message
i hope i'm replying to group: of course in retrospect i would have

enjoyed
a kayak with a rudder from the beginning. but it cost more, was my first
boat, the kayak dealer said i wouldn't need a rudder in morro bay. my
friend bought his with the rudder. i couldn't keep up. i was more tired
than he. it was more fun when i had a rudder too.
"KMAN" wrote in message
in article , minicooper at
wrote on 9/13/05 8:43 PM:

i have a necky looksha lv sport that came without a rudder. i used it
for
about three months with my friend with a rudder. for my birthday

present
that year, my friend bought a rudder kit, and had the kayak shop

install
it
for me. worth every penny (whatever it cost ... i don't know amount
because
it was a gift) ... it makes such a difference! check with your kayak
dealer
and see if they can help you.

Seems a better idea to try your kayak before you buy and not purchase

one
that needs a rudder to track properly.

"Argo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone ever retro-fitted a rudder to a plastic kayak? I've been
plotting how that might be done with the small, plastic kayak I got on
points. It doesn't track at all (which makes it great in a tight

slalom
run, but gives my girlfriend fits when she's trying to paddle across
flat water).

I'm not worried about the aesthetics of wires running along the top of
the kayak, if that would make it simpler. Is it possible? Is it a LOT
of work?

Argo
http://greenrealm.blogspot.com

KMAN

in article , minicooper at
wrote on 9/15/05 10:58 PM:

i hope i'm replying to group: of course in retrospect i would have enjoyed
a kayak with a rudder from the beginning. but it cost more, was my first
boat, the kayak dealer said i wouldn't need a rudder in morro bay. my
friend bought his with the rudder. i couldn't keep up. i was more tired
than he. it was more fun when i had a rudder too.

I was actually suggesting buying a kayak that doesn't need a rudder to be
paddled...or as someone else said, maybe it is more about learning to paddle
so that a rudder is not required. My kayak came with a rudder on it but I
have never used it nor understood why I would want to.

"KMAN" wrote in message
in article , minicooper at
wrote on 9/13/05 8:43 PM:

i have a necky looksha lv sport that came without a rudder. i used it
for
about three months with my friend with a rudder. for my birthday present
that year, my friend bought a rudder kit, and had the kayak shop install
it
for me. worth every penny (whatever it cost ... i don't know amount
because
it was a gift) ... it makes such a difference! check with your kayak
dealer
and see if they can help you.

Seems a better idea to try your kayak before you buy and not purchase one
that needs a rudder to track properly.

"Argo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone ever retro-fitted a rudder to a plastic kayak? I've been
plotting how that might be done with the small, plastic kayak I got on
points. It doesn't track at all (which makes it great in a tight slalom
run, but gives my girlfriend fits when she's trying to paddle across
flat water).

I'm not worried about the aesthetics of wires running along the top of
the kayak, if that would make it simpler. Is it possible? Is it a LOT
of work?

Argo
http://greenrealm.blogspot.com

Suds

"KMAN" wrote in message

I was actually suggesting buying a kayak that doesn't need a rudder to be
paddled...or as someone else said, maybe it is more about learning to
paddle
so that a rudder is not required. My kayak came with a rudder on it but I
have never used it nor understood why I would want to.

"KMAN" or "caveman?"

These folks who scream against rudders remind me of the "driving
enthusiasts" who said the world would end with the introduction of anti-lock
brakes.

Rudder or not? It depends on what type of kayaking you're doing. I kayak
on the open ocean around the Hawaiian Islands. For the first year that I
had my kayak, I did not have a rudder. I can do just fine w/o the rudder.
I'm a big, strong, physically fit guy. But out here, on the open ocean, I
deal with currents, tides, large swells, and very strong winds. While I
have yet to meet a situation I can't paddle out of (and hope/plan never to)
I can't say the same for those I paddle with. I frequently have to tow
other paddlers out of bad situations. My rudder makes such emergencies much
easier to deal with. Using my rudder I can turn on a dime, easily position
myself next to a needy paddle, and correct my path while towing another boat
(or two.) My rudder was the best investment into kayaking I have made.

I would recommend getting a rudder. If you paddle enough that it's a
question, and your boat won't support a rudder, than maybe it's time to look
into a new boat.

Just my 2 cents.

suds

Cheryl Cato

I read through the thread that started with this post with great
interest as I am a newbie dealing with the same issue. I assumed
my problem was one of incorrect technique (or more correctly, lack
of technique). I'm looking for pointers to books/DVD's/videos -
anything that will help a beginner develop the proper paddling
techniques. Flat water is what I'm interested in primarily. I've
looked at some sites offering instructional materials, but it's
difficult for me to tell from the descriptions whether they would
help me with the basics of paddling or not.

I appreciate any advice/pointers.

Thanks,

Cheryl
Lyons, TX

Argo wrote:
Has anyone ever retro-fitted a rudder to a plastic kayak? I've been
plotting how that might be done with the small, plastic kayak I got on
points. It doesn't track at all (which makes it great in a tight slalom
run, but gives my girlfriend fits when she's trying to paddle across
flat water).

I'm not worried about the aesthetics of wires running along the top of
the kayak, if that would make it simpler. Is it possible? Is it a LOT
of work?

Argo
http://greenrealm.blogspot.com

KMAN

"Cheryl Cato" wrote in message

I read through the thread that started with this post with great interest
as I am a newbie dealing with the same issue. I assumed
my problem was one of incorrect technique (or more correctly, lack
of technique). I'm looking for pointers to books/DVD's/videos -
anything that will help a beginner develop the proper paddling
techniques. Flat water is what I'm interested in primarily. I've
looked at some sites offering instructional materials, but it's
difficult for me to tell from the descriptions whether they would
help me with the basics of paddling or not.

I appreciate any advice/pointers.

Thanks,

Cheryl
Lyons, TX

Hey Cheryl, what is it that happens that makes you think there is something
wrong with your technique?

Cheers