Doug Kanter

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:28:11 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

news
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:53:55 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

He was bitching loudly that this was not physics, this was
math, and even though he got a 99 in AP math this past spring, he was
finding this a bit challenging. I calmed him down with a strawberry
smoothie, and suggested that his physics teacher assigned this stuff to
blow
the summer cobwebs out of their brains, and evaluate who was going to be
challenged when the real physics began, like..next week. His response:
"Nice
slam, dad. You think we don't use our brains all summer?"

Tell him this - he is about to enter the realm of pure mathematics and
if he thinks this is not "physics", he's about to learn a very
interesting lesson. Yes there are experiments, yes there is hands
one, yes you observe. But you have to describe these things and the
only way you can do that is mathematically.

Has he taken pre-calculus yet?

He's taking pre-calc this year. And, AP English (so he doesn't become
president), social studies, French (after a 2 year hiatus during which he
forgot everything), swim team, track team, working one job. Out of his
mind,
but he enjoys it.

Ah - over achiever like mine were. Well done.

Yeah....except for when he was supposed to get the wallpaper glue residue
off his bedroom walls this weekend. "Impossible", he said. "It can't be
done". :-)

PocoLoco

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:54:38 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I wish more people had sons like yours!

Me too. He's one of the few kids his age who understand that if you're a
cashier at a grocery store, you do not under ANY circumstances give a
customer a bag for a package of gum.

At our local Safeway, the cashiers ask, "Will you require assistance outside
with that, sir?" Their rule is that they must do this if the customer has two or
more bags.

So one of these days I'll buy a loaf of bread (one bag) and a half-gallon of ice
cream (another bag), and say 'yes' to their question, I just want to see what
happens.

BTW, have you noticed that what we used to call 'half-gallon' size ice cream
containers now hold, for most brands, 1.75 quarts? Safeway had Breyers on sale,
and the little sign said "Breyers Half Gallon". The manager was very surprised
when I took her little sign to her and explained that the advertising was false.

Not sure when this change was made, in ice cream containers, but it definitely
****ed me off. I don't think the exterior dimensions of the containers have
changed, they're just not filled!

--
John H

Doug Kanter

"PocoLoco" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:54:38 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

It changed a couple three four five six maybe seven years ago.

NOYB

wrote:

[...]

So that would make it half-dozen years ago...give or take a couple of
ounces?

PocoLoco

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:35:50 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Oh. Well, perhaps I just wasn't looking very close. I'm surprised it didn't make
the liberal press big time! Hell, that would have been a worthy cause. There's a
lot of people still think they're getting a half-gallon of ice cream.
--
John H

PocoLoco

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:50:24 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:28:04 -0400, PocoLoco
wrote:

Not sure when this change was made, in ice cream containers, but it definitely
****ed me off. I don't think the exterior dimensions of the containers have
changed, they're just not filled!

Think coffee. There has been a "pound" of coffee since the early
'90s.

Have you noticed that the Dems are purposely asking Roberts questions they know
won't be answered just to run up the 'unanswered questions' tally.

It's getting downright funny!
--
John H

Doug Kanter

"PocoLoco" wrote in message

It changed a couple three four five six maybe seven years ago.

Oh. Well, perhaps I just wasn't looking very close. I'm surprised it
didn't make
the liberal press big time! Hell, that would have been a worthy cause.
There's a
lot of people still think they're getting a half-gallon of ice cream.

Actually, some people think the change was deceptive. In your case, it was,
because the store put up a sign calling it a half gallon. But, a friend of
mine thinks manufacturers should pay to have signs all over the stores to
inform customers of what's printed right on the damned package.

Breyers shrank their containers for perfectly good business reasons.

Crimes Against Nature-- RFK, Jr. Interview W. Watson General 0 November 14th 04 10:05 PM
The Real Reason Bush went to War Harry Krause General 18 August 5th 04 12:12 PM
Bwahaha! Bye Bye Bushy! Bobsprit ASA 1 June 18th 04 10:37 PM
What a Great Day! Capt.American ASA 16 July 24th 03 11:54 PM