BigJohn

Default '99 40hp Johnson System Check Gauge Wiring

I have a 1999 40hp 2 stroke Johnson motor, the model is J40TPLEEA. It
was originally a tiller steer with electronic start that I have now
converted to remote control. All went well till I took it for it's
first test run on the water...After a few minutes running the "NO OIL"
light and warning buzzer on the System Check Gauge came on. Now I
thought this was strange as this motor uses pre-mix 2-stroke fuel,
there is no oil tank on it! The original (tiller)set up had a System
Check Gauge connected but when I upgraded I installed a Tacho/System
Check Gauge and a new wiring harness. Unfortunatelly I didn't notice if
the old wiring harness was "modified" before discarding it...lesson
learnt too late! I am assuming that the "NO OIL" (and possibly "LOW
OIL") circuit(s) needs to be isolated or looped somehow to eliminate
the "false alarm"?!? Any help would be appreciated.

Billgran

"BigJohn" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 1999 40hp 2 stroke Johnson motor, the model is J40TPLEEA. It
was originally a tiller steer with electronic start that I have now
converted to remote control. All went well till I took it for it's
first test run on the water...After a few minutes running the "NO OIL"
light and warning buzzer on the System Check Gauge came on. Now I
thought this was strange as this motor uses pre-mix 2-stroke fuel,
there is no oil tank on it! The original (tiller)set up had a System
Check Gauge connected but when I upgraded I installed a Tacho/System
Check Gauge and a new wiring harness. Unfortunatelly I didn't notice if
the old wiring harness was "modified" before discarding it...lesson
learnt too late! I am assuming that the "NO OIL" (and possibly "LOW
OIL") circuit(s) needs to be isolated or looped somehow to eliminate
the "false alarm"?!? Any help would be appreciated.

Here's the pin configuration (looking at the back-side of the gauge, holding
it upright):

1-2-3-4
8-7-6-5

Purple wire goes to pin 1- 12V
Black wire goes to pin 2- grnd
Gray wire goes to pin 3 - tach

Grounding these pins, will activate the following:

Pin 4, turn on no oil lite
Pin 5, turn on low oil lite
Pin 7, turn on check engine lite
Pin 6, turn on hot lite

Pin 8, is used to activate the warning horn, it supplies a ground to the
horn circuit when any other warning circuit (pins 4 thru 7) is grounded

Bill Grannis
service manager

Let there be heat! Gould 0738 General 4 November 29th 04 01:41 AM
Trim sender help YazFan General 5 May 11th 04 12:58 AM
Hardin Volt Gauge wiring problem fiddler Cruising 6 February 13th 04 02:55 AM
Fishfinder??? Bobsprit ASA 31 January 26th 04 09:06 PM
OT - Boot Magic Simple Simon ASA 6 November 3rd 03 08:35 PM