Ockmel

Default Anyone knows if it's relatively easy to purchase US boat (or engine) and bring to Canada?

My engine seized and it looks like I must either purchase a new or old
engine or simply replace the boat altogether (could probably only
afford a used one).

I am looking on the Net and find that there is much more options,
choices (and better prices!) in Washington State. I live in Canada
but near the Canada-US border so it would be easy to purchase
something in WA. But I don't know if there are legal, custom or other
issues if I purchase an American boat or engine (the engine I need to
replace is a OMC Cobra 4cyl 2.3L).

Andre

Ockmel wrote:
My engine seized and it looks like I must either purchase a new or old
engine or simply replace the boat altogether (could probably only
afford a used one).

I am looking on the Net and find that there is much more options,
choices (and better prices!) in Washington State. I live in Canada
but near the Canada-US border so it would be easy to purchase
something in WA. But I don't know if there are legal, custom or other
issues if I purchase an American boat or engine (the engine I need to
replace is a OMC Cobra 4cyl 2.3L).

Andre

Under the NAFTA treaty, there is no duty on a new or used boat taken
across the US/Canadian border- provided the boat was originally built
in the US or Canada. Example: Glasply, Sea Ray, Tollycraft, Bayliner,
Canoe Cove, etc......no duty. Grand Banks, Cheoy Lee, Princess,
etc...pay a duty.

Not sure if that applies to engines, or just to boats. Engines may fall
into the "personal expenditure" category that allows a few hundred
dollars duty free purchase after a couple of days in the neighboring
country, but can't say for sure.

You may have to pay GST and/or something else after getting your
purchase to Canada, my comment only addresses duty on a new or used US
or Canadian built boat.

Denis Roy

I imported a Sea Ray last year and I just showed up at the border with it.
I had to pay GST and PST on the boat, and GST only on the trailer. The PST
was owing on the trailer when I went to register it. Had the trailer been
younger than 15yrs it would have been subject to the Registrar of Motor
Vehicles and a $189 fee would be payable. In addition, it would have to be
safety inspected at a Canadian Tire within a certain time period. Older
than 15 years, it is exempt. This makes no sense as the older trailer is
the one that should be safety inspected!

It helps if the boat & trailer are on separate bills of sale.

--
Denis Roy
D. Roy Woodcraft
wrote in message
ups.com...

Ockmel wrote:
[...]

THIS WORKS, EASY CASH [email protected] General 0 April 3rd 05 07:07 PM
easy money in 30 days trip General 0 March 11th 05 03:40 AM
easy money in 30 days trip General 0 March 11th 05 03:39 AM
FREE EASY MONEY CLICK HERE Kellyluvsaac3 UK Power Boats 0 February 19th 04 01:45 AM