Bryan

Default Motor sounds like marbles and "diesels" after stopping

I just had my 20 hour service on my new motor. I'm no mechanic, so I had it
done by the Sea Ray dealer. I mentioned to them that it had a difficult
first start once. Also it has been continuing to run ("dieseling") after
turning off the ignition. They said everything checked out, but they went
ahead and "advanced the timing a little." I should have kept my mouth shut,
but ...

Could be my imagination, the boat seems to run well, but it sure doesn't
seem to sound like it did before the 20 hour service. Instead of a nice
tight sounding motor it sounds like it's full of marbles. And I still had a
couple of episodes of "dieseling."

Why the "dieseling" before and after the service?

Does advancing the timing "a little" alter the sound of a motor?

Sea Ray 185
6 Cylinder carbureted 4.3L Alpha1 Mercruiser

JR North

Dieseling on shutdown indicates:
1.idle speed too high
2.engine temp too high
3.spark plug heat range too high
4.carbon hot spots in combustion chamber
5. very poor fuel quality

timing doesn't count.
JR

Bryan wrote:
I just had my 20 hour service on my new motor. I'm no mechanic, so I had it
done by the Sea Ray dealer. I mentioned to them that it had a difficult
first start once. Also it has been continuing to run ("dieseling") after
turning off the ignition. They said everything checked out, but they went
ahead and "advanced the timing a little." I should have kept my mouth shut,
but ...

Could be my imagination, the boat seems to run well, but it sure doesn't
seem to sound like it did before the 20 hour service. Instead of a nice
tight sounding motor it sounds like it's full of marbles. And I still had a
couple of episodes of "dieseling."

Why the "dieseling" before and after the service?

Does advancing the timing "a little" alter the sound of a motor?

Sea Ray 185
6 Cylinder carbureted 4.3L Alpha1 Mercruiser

Bryan

I thought timing was everything! Well, that's what my wife tells me.

# 2, the engine operators booklet says to idle for a bit before shutting
down after running hard. I noticed that the dieseling didn't occur if I did
just that.
My fuel quality should be okay. I'll have to take notice of the idle speed
next time I'm out, but if it's high I didn't notice. Spark plugs are
"fresh" from the factory.

Thanks

Bryan wrote:
I just had my 20 hour service on my new motor. I'm no mechanic, so I had
it done by the Sea Ray dealer. I mentioned to them that it had a
difficult first start once. Also it has been continuing to run
("dieseling") after turning off the ignition. They said everything
checked out, but they went ahead and "advanced the timing a little." I
should have kept my mouth shut, but ...

Could be my imagination, the boat seems to run well, but it sure doesn't
seem to sound like it did before the 20 hour service. Instead of a nice
tight sounding motor it sounds like it's full of marbles. And I still
had a couple of episodes of "dieseling."

Why the "dieseling" before and after the service?

Does advancing the timing "a little" alter the sound of a motor?

Sea Ray 185
6 Cylinder carbureted 4.3L Alpha1 Mercruiser

Tim

Dieseling on shutdown indicates:
1.idle speed too high
2.engine temp too high
3.spark plug heat range too high
4.carbon hot spots in combustion chamber
5. very poor fuel quality

timing doesn't count.
JR

or a vacuum leak

timing actually could count, by being a bit advanced, but that would
agrevate the real culprit in poor fuel quality.