Starbucks

JimH,
Hey, quit cluttering up the NG with OT posts.

"*JimH*" wrote in message

"PocoLoco" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:00:15 -0400, "*JimH*" wrote:

"John Sobieski" ] wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, "*JimH*" wrote:
.....exactly what do all the political OT posts here (or anywhere in
cyberspace) accomplish?

Is anyone's opinion changed?

Are the folks in these debate *movers and shakers* who can really
impact
world or national affairs?

Is a positive contribution to national or world affairs made as a
result
of
these debates?

Nope on all counts.

While I have been a major player in these discussions in the past I
have
now
called it quits for the most part....you can say I have seen the light
(and
it ain't pretty). ;-)

So why continue with this garbage folks? Exactly what is the *purpose*
of
these political debates?

An inquiring mind wants to know. ;-)

None on all counts, though I must admit I get caught sometime too. Just
got
back from some out of town work. See397 new messages, Over 80% OT, and
have a big delete list. Wonder just how many I missed?

Just added another global delete: "Chris"

Crap OT post "OT - Pat Robertson?"

I'll just keep adding

Regards,
SOB

I guess I will hear the excuses.....just filter them....don't read
them.....you hear these discussions at the docks and marina
bars..........yada, yada, yada. Those excuses don't answer my basic
questions.......is anyone's opinion changed as a result of these
political
debates..........are the folks in these debate *movers and shakers* who
can
really impact world or national affairs..........is a positive
contribution
to national or world affairs made as a result of these debates?

Yep, as admitted earlier I was one of the worst offenders in the past.
Perhaps a lack of legitimate answers to these questions will keep me from
*falling off the wagon again*. ;-)

I'm bad also. But, I'll admit that I've learned a lot by checking
stories, both
mine and other's. It's research I'd never have done otherwise.

But, you're correct. This isn't the place for it.

--
John H.
On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD

The thread has been renamed as OT based on NOYB's mandate. I believe he
will now allow us to carry on with the thread. ;-)

NOYB

"*JimH*" wrote in message

"NOYB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"*JimH*" wrote in message
.....exactly what do all the political OT posts here (or anywhere in
cyberspace) accomplish?

Is anyone's opinion changed?

Are the folks in these debate *movers and shakers* who can really impact
world or national affairs?

Is a positive contribution to national or world affairs made as a result
of these debates?

Nope on all counts.

While I have been a major player in these discussions in the past I have
now called it quits for the most part....you can say I have seen the
light (and it ain't pretty). ;-)

So why continue with this garbage folks? Exactly what is the *purpose*
of these political debates?

An inquiring mind wants to know. ;-)

Please put "OT" in front of your off-topic posts from now on. Thanks.

BTW: This is the second time in a week that you have made mention of that
fact when I post about obsessive OT posts in this boating NG. You are
obviously concerned about the topic of OT posting in this NG, perhaps
based on your excessive number of OT posts.

I understand completely.

Considering your request and comment, and in the best interest of this NG,
I have renamed the subject of this thread as being OT.

I trust you are now happy. ;-)

Carry on NOYB. ;-)

I seldom *start* OT posts. But I contribute to them plenty.

In fact, I'd bet that you start more OT posts than me...but it's hard to
keep track of because you fail to put "OT" in front of your OT posts.

;-p

Don White

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, "*JimH*" wrote:

[...]

back from some out of town work. See397 new messages, Over 80% OT, and I
[...]

After all this...NOYB won't have to go to church for an entire month.

Harry Krause wrote:
NOYB wrote:
"*JimH*" wrote in message
"NOYB" wrote in message
ink.net...
"*JimH*" wrote in message
[...]

The reality is, Hertvik is OT for this newsgroup.

Give him a break, Harry. He admits to being a significant OT/political
poster in the past and has epxressed a desire to straighten up his act.
If you can't suppport him (and I would understand how that could be
difficult, when history is considered) then at least stand back and let
him work on this change without a lot of flak.

Most of us don't enjoy a NG filled with personal attacks and where
every discussion, boating related or not, seems to become a
name-calling ****ing contest between party A and party B 3-4 posts
after the header. As I have observed in the past, it would only take a
few people to reform their posting styles to clean up the NG
substantially. I would have to put myself on that list, of course, but
the list would have traditionally included JimH and he is at least
attempting to do something about it. Who knows if he will be successful
in the long term? But at least he is making the effort.

You would have to be included on the same list, Harry. You often say,
"But the right wingers started the name calling in the thread," (and
sometimes they do)
but here's a perfect example where I don't think the name Harry Krause
was mentioned even once in the course of this thread and when you step
in it is with a negative personal comment. Bad Harry, go sit in the
cyber corner. :-)

Just because this NG has been in the toilet for years doesn't mean it
has to remain there. It's the decisions that each poster makes about
what threads to start, what threads to participate in, and whether or
not to specialize in personal attack and insult that determine the
characteristics of the group. I think JimH has recognized that. More
people should do likewise. Some of the non-boaters who camp in
rec.boats *only* to post insults to folks they consider politically or
philosophically unlike themselves should look for a different
playground- and that would get rid of a half dozen of the worst cases
right there.

Dan J.S.

"*JimH*" wrote in message
.....exactly what do all the political OT posts here (or anywhere in
cyberspace) accomplish?

Is anyone's opinion changed?

Are the folks in these debate *movers and shakers* who can really impact
world or national affairs?

Is a positive contribution to national or world affairs made as a result
of these debates?

Nope on all counts.

While I have been a major player in these discussions in the past I have
now called it quits for the most part....you can say I have seen the light
(and it ain't pretty). ;-)

So why continue with this garbage folks? Exactly what is the *purpose* of
these political debates?

An inquiring mind wants to know. ;-)

Well, I would rather that some unstable person blow his steam off on the
internet than with a gun in some crowd... so if anything, it does that

Butch Davis

Although annoying to almost everyone OT political posts are for the most
part simply venting. Some posters notwithstanding.

Butch
"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:25:23 -0400, "*JimH*" wrote:

.....exactly what do all the political OT posts here (or anywhere in
cyberspace) accomplish?

Is anyone's opinion changed?

Are the folks in these debate *movers and shakers* who can really impact
world or national affairs?

Is a positive contribution to national or world affairs made as a result
of
these debates?

Nope on all counts.

While I have been a major player in these discussions in the past I have
now
called it quits for the most part....you can say I have seen the light
(and
it ain't pretty). ;-)

So why continue with this garbage folks? Exactly what is the *purpose* of
these political debates?

An inquiring mind wants to know. ;-)

You are quite correct. Most is inflammatory in nature.... designed to
anger others.

Frankly, very frankly, it has had an effect on me, certainly, and I
have sought to stay out of 99% of the OT posts.

The effect, in my case, has been quite profound..... I shall probably
vote for a different party than I have for the last three
decades......

.... quite the opposite of the intent of some of the OT posters.....
but the examination of their position (forced on me) has been
illuminating.

Lesson? If you post OT in any newsgroup, your input is likely not
appreciated.... and you *will* be noticed. However, your net result
may be the opposite of that which you intended....

go figure....

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/
Homepage*
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats
Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide