Dave Skolnick

Default input for commuter dinghy/boat

At the moment my question is hypothetical, so there is lot's of room for
adjustment. I'm changing jobs and may decide to live aboard to cut down
on commuting. Living on the hook gives me more location flexibility;
there are not many marinas in the D.C. area that allow liveaboards.

I have a grip (or at least an initial plan) on heating and maintaining
electrical power for the boat (diesel heater like Webasto or Espar and
solar and wind power supplemented by the generator -- still cheaper than
slip fees).

Still unclear to me is getting back and forth to land in the winter. If
the distance to a dinghy dock or other landing where I can keep my car
is too great for rowing, how do I keep an engine operating through the
winter? Any specific suggestions for a commuter that minimizes how wet I
end up in the rain?

I may just be insane for contemplating this, but part of my motivation
is to avoid being tied to the dock by "extra docklines" like telephone,
cable, water, etc. I think I'll sail more often if I'm on the hook than
in a slip.

regards, dave

Tony Thomas

Any outboard motor will not require true winterization. Just leave the foot
down in the water so water does not collect in the prop houseing and freeze.
I would look at a 15' to 16' small runabout w/ the top and enclosure.
Should be able to pick up a used one w/ a 75 to 90 hp engine cheap.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Dave Skolnick" wrote in message
[...]

Lloyd Sumpter

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 16:12:25 +0000, Dave Skolnick wrote:

At the moment my question is hypothetical, so there is lot's of room for
adjustment. I'm changing jobs and may decide to live aboard to cut down
on commuting. Living on the hook gives me more location flexibility;
there are not many marinas in the D.C. area that allow liveaboards.

I have a grip (or at least an initial plan) on heating and maintaining
electrical power for the boat (diesel heater like Webasto or Espar and
solar and wind power supplemented by the generator -- still cheaper than
slip fees).

Still unclear to me is getting back and forth to land in the winter. If
the distance to a dinghy dock or other landing where I can keep my car
is too great for rowing, how do I keep an engine operating through the
winter? Any specific suggestions for a commuter that minimizes how wet I
end up in the rain?

I've thought about the same thing many times!

First, where will you be docking your "commuter boat"? Here in
Vancouver, there's no place that would allow you to dock, say, a 16ft boat
for the day, every day, for free. Essentially you'd have to rent dockspace
for the commuter boat.

If the anchorage is quiet enough, you might be able to get by with an
inflatable or portaboat that you could collapse and take with you in your
car. Or a Walker Bay or equiv that would fit on the top. You'd probably
need some kind of bimini to keep at least the rain out. Sounds like a lot
of work every day...

If you CAN get dockspace, a 14-16ft runabout with hardtop (you may have to
make it or have it made), with maybe 20-50hp should be fine. Because of
the all-weather nature of your boat, the more usual options of inflatable
or Boston Whaler would not be viable. Rip out everything but the driver's
seat, add a coffeepot and you're set!

Here on the Wet Coast, we have some wonderful welded-aluminum commuter
boats that would do you fine, but they're Not Cheap:
http://www.armstrongmarine.com
http://lifetimer.boats.com/

You might want to work out "telecommute" days with your Boss - if it's
Real Nasty out, just work at home. It's amazing what can be done with a
cellphone and a modem...(and HE doesn't have to know exactly WHERE you
are, if you get my drift...)

Lloyd

Dave Skolnick

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 16:12:25 +0000, Dave Skolnick wrote:

snip
Still unclear to me is getting back and forth to land in the winter. If
the distance to a dinghy dock or other landing where I can keep my car
is too great for rowing, how do I keep an engine operating through the
winter? Any specific suggestions for a commuter that minimizes how wet I
end up in the rain?

First, where will you be docking your "commuter boat"? Here in
Vancouver, there's no place that would allow you to dock, say, a 16ft boat
for the day, every day, for free. Essentially you'd have to rent dockspace
for the commuter boat.

There are lot's of places I can tie up. The issue is being allowed to
liveaboard. Although there are likely to be some costs, a deal with a
marina would give me a place to park my car, haul the commuter boat as
needed, maintain an account for gas (commuter) and diesel (live-aboard),
get water, etc.

If the anchorage is quiet enough, you might be able to get by with an
inflatable or portaboat that you could collapse and take with you in your
car. Or a Walker Bay or equiv that would fit on the top. You'd probably
need some kind of bimini to keep at least the rain out. Sounds like a lot
of work every day...

I need to dress nicely for work, so the dinghy approach would be awkward
unless I change at or on the way to work. That is a possibility I have
considered. Depends to some extent on the facilities at the new job ...

If you CAN get dockspace, a 14-16ft runabout with hardtop (you may have to
make it or have it made), with maybe 20-50hp should be fine. Because of
the all-weather nature of your boat, the more usual options of inflatable
or Boston Whaler would not be viable. Rip out everything but the driver's
seat, add a coffeepot and you're set!

Here on the Wet Coast, we have some wonderful welded-aluminum commuter
boats that would do you fine, but they're Not Cheap:
http://www.armstrongmarine.com
http://lifetimer.boats.com/

There are a number of more expensive boats that look like a good fit.
The new Grady-White 185 with full canvas would probably be great. I
don't even want to think about what the cost would be. I'm keeping my
eyes peeled for a small work boat or launch and thinking hard about
changing at work instead ...

You might want to work out "telecommute" days with your Boss - if it's
Real Nasty out, just work at home. It's amazing what can be done with a
cellphone and a modem...(and HE doesn't have to know exactly WHERE you
are, if you get my drift...)

Also looking for internet connectivity at a price I can stomach. Putting
in my own submerged cable looks cheapest so far! grin