*JimH*

Default Fully Restored PT 658

I found this at another boating site. The only fully restored and
operational PT boat in existence.

Nice site with pictures and facts of the boat.

http://www.savetheptboatinc.com/

*JimH* wrote:
I found this at another boating site. The only fully restored and
operational PT boat in existence.

Nice site with pictures and facts of the boat.

http://www.savetheptboatinc.com/

Omigosh.

It would probably cost less to buy that boat than to run it! :-)

500 gph? Wowzers.

From the website:

3000 gallons of 100-octane aviation gasoline (AVGAS) is enough to last
12 hours or 520 miles with engine speed limited to 2000 rpm. This works
out to about 66 gallons of gasoline per hour, per engine at cruising
speed of 35 knots. At maximum rpm, achieving 42+ knots, each engine
consumes 166 gallons (or 500 gallons for all 3 engines) per hour. (3000
gallons lasts about 6 hours at top speed!) The gasoline is held in four
750 gallon self sealing rubber-lined gas tanks. PT658 had her 2 after
gasoline tanks removed, so capacity is cut in half down to only 1500
gallons of gas.

*JimH*

wrote in message
oups.com...

*JimH* wrote:
I found this at another boating site. The only fully restored and
operational PT boat in existence.

Nice site with pictures and facts of the boat.

http://www.savetheptboatinc.com/

Omigosh.

It would probably cost less to buy that boat than to run it! :-)

500 gph? Wowzers.

From the website:

3000 gallons of 100-octane aviation gasoline (AVGAS) is enough to last
12 hours or 520 miles with engine speed limited to 2000 rpm. This works
out to about 66 gallons of gasoline per hour, per engine at cruising
speed of 35 knots. At maximum rpm, achieving 42+ knots, each engine
consumes 166 gallons (or 500 gallons for all 3 engines) per hour. (3000
gallons lasts about 6 hours at top speed!) The gasoline is held in four
750 gallon self sealing rubber-lined gas tanks. PT658 had her 2 after
gasoline tanks removed, so capacity is cut in half down to only 1500
gallons of gas.

I guess they avoided WOT. ;-)

From the website:
"3 5M-2500 Packard-Marine V12 Engines. These engines are 4 stroke, water
cooled, 60 degree, V- type with a 6-3/8" bore and 6-1/2" stroke, for a total
of 2490 cubic inches of displacement. Each engine has 48 valves, 2 inlet/2
outlet per cylinder. They have a compression ratio of 6.4:1, and are fitted
with a gear-driven centrifugal supercharger and intercooler. The engines are
installed with a Holley 1685F aircraft-type carburetor, and use aircraft-
type dual magneto sparks, with 2 spark plugs per cylinder. The engines
develop 1500 Hp at 2500 rpm.Max revolutions is 3000 rpm. Engine weight is
3100 pounds. These engines were designed to burn 100 octane aviation
gasoline to achieve nominal power output."

Length: 78 feet 6 inches Width: 20 feet 1 inch
Draft: 5 feet 3 inches Displacement: 48 tons

Crew Complement: 2 officers, 14 enlisted

Armament: As a late war Higgins (PT625 class) the PT658 was, for her size,
one of the most heavily armed vessels in the US Navy

40mm Bofors M3 cannon: 4 round clips, 130 rpm, 2890 muzzle velocity, range
5420yds 2lb projectile weight

37mm Oldsmobile M9 autocannon: 30 rd magazine, 125rpm, muzzle velocity 2000
fps, range 8875 yds

2 twin 0.50 cal Browning M2 Machine Guns: belt fed, 550 rpm, muzzle velocity
of 2930 fps, max effective range 2500 yds, max range 4.2 miles, air cooled,
recoil operated, gun length 61.5 inches, 24 inch barrel, gun weight 84
pounds, 710 gr. FMJ bullet, powder charge 235 grains,. Weight of 100 rds of
linked M2 ball in ammunition can is approximately 35#

M4 20mm Oerlikon cannons: 60 rd cap mag, 480rpm, muzzle velocity 2740 fps,
range 5500 yards, 8.5 oz round weight
4 Mk13 Aircraft Torpedoes: (600# warhead) 22.5 inch diameter, 13' 6" long,
33.5 knot speed, weight 2216#, range 6300yds (~3.5 miles) filled with 2800
psi air, grain alcohol and water to run a steam turbine turning gear
operated counter rotating propellers. Used Mk8 Contact Exploder.

2 Type C 300# TNT depth charges: Manual depth setting and manual release

2 Small arms Thompson .45cal SMG, M1A 0.30cal Carbine

1-Smoke generator: 35 gallon refillable, releasing Titanium Tetrachloride
gas as a dense white smoke

US Navy "SO" Type Radar : This radar was fitted on PT Boats beginning in
1943 and was later replaced towards the end of the war with SJ. Both were
3000 MHz with 50kw pulse, surface search radars made by Raytheon.
Approximate range was 25 Nautical Miles. The Navy's use of radar gave us a
distinct advantage over the enemy throughout the war.

Have you seen the boat Chuck? She is just south of you in Oregon.

Bill McKee

wrote in message
oups.com...

*JimH* wrote:
I found this at another boating site. The only fully restored and
operational PT boat in existence.

Nice site with pictures and facts of the boat.

http://www.savetheptboatinc.com/

Omigosh.

It would probably cost less to buy that boat than to run it! :-)

500 gph? Wowzers.

From the website:

3000 gallons of 100-octane aviation gasoline (AVGAS) is enough to last
12 hours or 520 miles with engine speed limited to 2000 rpm. This works
out to about 66 gallons of gasoline per hour, per engine at cruising
speed of 35 knots. At maximum rpm, achieving 42+ knots, each engine
consumes 166 gallons (or 500 gallons for all 3 engines) per hour. (3000
gallons lasts about 6 hours at top speed!) The gasoline is held in four
750 gallon self sealing rubber-lined gas tanks. PT658 had her 2 after
gasoline tanks removed, so capacity is cut in half down to only 1500
gallons of gas.

My dad converted a PT boat to Grey Marine diesels (he owned a large machine
shop in the SF Bay area). He went out on the boat before they converted,
and he said is the only thing he ever rode in where you could actually see
the fuel gage move. I see an ad for a 77' yacht in Pacific Sportfishing.
Range 500 miles, fuel capacity 3 or 6000 gallons. Things have not improved,
but I bet the PT gives a more exciting ride.

P. Fritz

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

*JimH* wrote:
I found this at another boating site. The only fully restored and
operational PT boat in existence.

Nice site with pictures and facts of the boat.

http://www.savetheptboatinc.com/

Omigosh.

It would probably cost less to buy that boat than to run it! :-)

500 gph? Wowzers.

From the website:

[...]

Especially if it came equipped with torpedos and depth charges :-)

*JimH*

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:24:15 -0400, "P. Fritz"
wrote:

Especially if it came equipped with torpedos and depth charges :-)

Whoa! You left out the:

40 mm Bofors cannon, aft.
Twin 50 cal. machine guns port and starboard
20 mm Oerlikon forward
37 mm Automatic forward
Mortar
Rockets
Smoke Generator
Small Arms
and Hand Grenades!

--

_ ___c
\ _| \_

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/
Homepage*
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats
Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

You can never have enough munitions when on jetski patrol. ;-)

N.L. Eckert

*JimH* wrote:
I found this at another boating site. The only fully restored and
operational PT boat in existence.
Nice site with pictures and facts of the boat.
http://www.savetheptboatinc.com/
Omigosh.
It would probably cost less to buy that boat than to run it! :-)
500 gph? Wowzers.
From the website:
3000 gallons of 100-octane aviation gasoline (AVGAS) is enough to last
12 hours or 520 miles with engine speed limited to 2000 rpm. This works
out to about 66 gallons of gasoline per hour, per engine at cruising
speed of 35 knots. At maximum rpm, achieving 42+ knots, each engine
consumes 166 gallons (or 500 gallons for all 3 engines) per hour. (3000
gallons lasts about 6 hours at top speed!) The gasoline is held in four
750 gallon self sealing rubber-lined gas tanks. PT658 had her 2 after
gasoline tanks removed, so capacity is cut in half down to only 1500
gallons of gas.
==================================
My "big" brother was a crewman on board a PT in the Phillipines from '43
thru '45 and saw action in 3 or 4 major sea battles. The above
description pretty much conforms to his stories about the boats. He
said that one of the Japs favorite tricks was to get a destroyer between
2 PTs running together and try to run one of them out to sea where they
would run out of gas and be taken prisoner without a shot being fired.
A Jap destroyer separated his boat during one patrol and they had to
beach it on Mindora and go inland after destroying the boat on the
beach. He was very proud of his service aboard these boats and told how
close the crew became to each other. Like family.