gileswile

Default Wooly & No midrange on Mercury outboard - Plugs / oil mix problem?

Hi
I have a mid 80s vintage Mercury 115 oil injected. When i acquired it
only 3 of the 6 ports were receiving a spaek. I rectified this with a
new switcher unit. But since then it has always had a problem if you
boot it so to speak. It refuses to rev under load(fine in neutral)
unless you very slowly go up the rev range - by slow I mean taking
several minutes from 1000 to 6000 revs. The carbs all seem ok. Is the
direct injection mix at fault - too much oil? Can I overcome the
problem with hotter plugs? Or is it a fuel supply fault. Any
suggestions greatly appreciated. cheers.

Del Cecchi

"gileswile" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi
I have a mid 80s vintage Mercury 115 oil injected. When i acquired it
only 3 of the 6 ports were receiving a spaek. I rectified this with a
new switcher unit. But since then it has always had a problem if you
boot it so to speak. It refuses to rev under load(fine in neutral)
unless you very slowly go up the rev range - by slow I mean taking
several minutes from 1000 to 6000 revs. The carbs all seem ok. Is the
direct injection mix at fault - too much oil? Can I overcome the
problem with hotter plugs? Or is it a fuel supply fault. Any
suggestions greatly appreciated. cheers.

I don't know what happens when you boot it, but have you checked the
spark advance?

del cecchi

gileswile

Del Cecchi wrote:
"gileswile" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi
I have a mid 80s vintage Mercury 115 oil injected. When i acquired it
only 3 of the 6 ports were receiving a spaek. I rectified this with a
new switcher unit. But since then it has always had a problem if you
boot it so to speak. It refuses to rev under load(fine in neutral)
unless you very slowly go up the rev range - by slow I mean taking
several minutes from 1000 to 6000 revs. The carbs all seem ok. Is the
direct injection mix at fault - too much oil? Can I overcome the
problem with hotter plugs? Or is it a fuel supply fault. Any
suggestions greatly appreciated. cheers.

I don't know what happens when you boot it, but have you checked the
spark advance?

del cecchi

OK
Thanks for that Del. It didn't realise that 2 strokes had an
advance/retard mechanism. As there is no dizzy as such, what operates
the advance (which I could find a manual for this motor somewhere).
cheers

Don Dando

Early oil injected motors have had their problems. We have converted many
to oil mixed motors simply by de-activating the injection equipment and
using a common oil mixed fuel. Then there is no risk of burning up a motor!

Don Dando

"Del Cecchi" wrote in message

"gileswile" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi
I have a mid 80s vintage Mercury 115 oil injected. When i acquired it
only 3 of the 6 ports were receiving a spaek. I rectified this with a
new switcher unit. But since then it has always had a problem if you
boot it so to speak. It refuses to rev under load(fine in neutral)
unless you very slowly go up the rev range - by slow I mean taking
several minutes from 1000 to 6000 revs. The carbs all seem ok. Is the
direct injection mix at fault - too much oil? Can I overcome the
problem with hotter plugs? Or is it a fuel supply fault. Any
suggestions greatly appreciated. cheers.

I don't know what happens when you boot it, but have you checked the
spark advance?

del cecchi

gileswile

Don Dando wrote:
Early oil injected motors have had their problems. We have converted many
to oil mixed motors simply by de-activating the injection equipment and
using a common oil mixed fuel. Then there is no risk of burning up a motor!

Don Dando

Thanks for that Don, so am i right in thinking that you reckon that
there may be an excess of oil in the mix fouling up the plugs? Apart
from converting it over, is there any means to turn dowun the ratio of
oil in the mix at all? Cheers

Mercury outboard products are defective!!!! [email protected] General 12 February 16th 05 04:48 PM
Mercury outboard products are defective!!!! [email protected] General 0 February 11th 05 08:31 PM
Mercury outboard products are defective!!!! [email protected] Boat Building 0 February 11th 05 08:29 PM
Mercury 1, Yamaha 0 Gould 0738 General 8 October 21st 04 03:35 AM
Mercury outboard carburetors Rod McInnis General 5 March 6th 04 03:00 AM