Bob Gillespie

Default How best to put two kayaks on a Van with Factory Rack?

Thanks to the very helpful advice that I received in this newsgroup, we
ended up buying an Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT and a Heritage (sit-in)
12 footer. I would like to have advice on how best to transport the 2
kayaks on a Pontiac Transport with a top rack. I've visited several web
sites and downloaded information such as the University of Limerick "Car
Top Kayak Transport" and found it very useful. Still now certain,
however,
of how to do the two boats on the limited width top rack. Not certain
whether to put them upside down or how best to do it. Would like advice
on storing as well. Is it ok to put them on the ground, in Florida
sand,
and have them on their sides?
Thanks again for your help in the past. We have taken the kayaks for
a spin and found them to be great.
Looking forward to many more years of use.
Bob

The easy but expensive solution would be to add an aftermarket rack
system with yayak cradles of some sort (there are several variations of
cradles for kayaks).

For starters go to:

http://www.rackwarehouse.com/

and just follow the fit guides from Thule and Yakima for your make and
modle year van.

Which kayak cradles are "best" is worthy of another post query on rbp.