W. Watson

Default Neoprene Boot Odor

To get rid of the boot order, my son tells me there is a shampoo for neoprene
boots. However, someone else mentioned that Pinesol, and I suppose Lysol, might
work well too. I suspect that a full dose isn't needed. Anyone know the
recommended approach to using one of these 'sols'?

"Maybe this world is another planet's Hell."
- Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

Steve Cramer

W. Watson wrote:

To get rid of the boot order, my son tells me there is a shampoo for
neoprene boots. However, someone else mentioned that Pinesol, and I
suppose Lysol, might work well too. I suspect that a full dose isn't
needed. Anyone know the recommended approach to using one of these 'sols'?

This is the good stuff. Invented by a kayaker.
http://www.sinkthestink.com/

--
Steve Cramer
Athens, GA
Brian Nystrom

W. Watson wrote:
To get rid of the boot order, my son tells me there is a shampoo for
neoprene boots. However, someone else mentioned that Pinesol, and I
suppose Lysol, might work well too. I suspect that a full dose isn't
needed. Anyone know the recommended approach to using one of these 'sols'?

Sink the Stink and Mirazyme are a waste of money, as they don't work any
better than proper care does. There are two things that are important
for keeping neoprene from getting smelly.

#1 Rinse and DRY it thoroughly after use. Odor causing bacteria cannot
grow without moisture. This is the single most important preventative
measure you can take. Drying in the sun is the best method, rapid air
drying is second best (ski boot dryers are handy for this). Stuffing
boots with newspaper or cedar shavings helps if you can't get them dry
any other way.

#2 Eliminate direct skin-to-neoprene contact. Bacteria feed on skin oil
and dead skin cells. Even wearing thin socks inside neoprene boots makes
a big difference.

Lysol, Pinesol or just plain diluted bleach will all help to kill
bacteria and the odor they cause, but nothing will keep boots smelling
good if you don't dry them adequately.
Mothra

Lysol in the brown bottle is a phenol, not a bleach and it works
wonderfully well. Get the old fashioned small brown bottle that your
grandmother used to buy and add it to the wash.

My friend Julie also swears by Massengil douche powder added to the
wash.

John Kuthe

"W. Watson" wrote:

To get rid of the boot order, my son tells me there is a shampoo for neoprene
boots. However, someone else mentioned that Pinesol, and I suppose Lysol, might
work well too. I suspect that a full dose isn't needed. Anyone know the
recommended approach to using one of these 'sols'?

Plain old household bleach. Works wonders! Just wash your neo. bootoes as you
normally would, and after rinsing put a dollop (couple of teaspoons) of bleach in
each bootie, add a little water and shake it all around (holding the top closed of
course!) to get the bleach well into all the crevices inside. Let it sit for about
5 mins or so, then rinse, rinse, rinse....until you can't smell much bleach in the
bootie anymore. (It's hard to get *all* the chlorine out, I've found.) Then let
dry, thoroughly.

Stank-B-GONE! :-)

John Kuthe...

Snowleopard

It's a lot easier to just keep your boots from smelling in the first place
(and thereby keep them from smelling up your vehicle, too). Just wear SOCKS
inside your boots & you'll find that the socks wind up smelling awful, NOT
the boots. The socks just wash easily in the machine along with other
laundry - but as soon as possible. If you're traveling & don't want to do
laundry till you get home, at least rinse them out in the sink along with
any kind of regular soap.

Jersey Girl
"John Kuthe" wrote in message
"W. Watson" wrote:

[...]

Bill Tuthill

W. Watson wrote:
To get rid of the boot order, my son tells me there is a shampoo for
neoprene boots. However, someone else mentioned that Pinesol, and I
suppose Lysol, might work well too. I suspect that a full dose isn't
needed. Anyone know the recommended approach to using one of these 'sols'?

I find the odor of Pinesol or Lysol worse than foot odor.

#1 Rinse and DRY it thoroughly after use...
#2 Eliminate direct skin-to-neoprene contact...

Brian is on-target with regard to correct care of neoprene,
but I disagree that Sink the Stink is a waste of money.
It makes a huge difference, and doesn't smell bad in itself.

#1 Rinse and DRY it thoroughly after use...
#2 Eliminate direct skin-to-neoprene contact...

Brian is on-target with regard to correct care of neoprene,
but I disagree that Sink the Stink is a waste of money.
It makes a huge difference, and doesn't smell bad in itself.

What can I say? I compared it vs. simply rinsing and drying and it made
no difference. The same is true of Mirazyme. Neither one has any
significant odor of its own, but they're both expensive and ineffective.
But if it works for you, go for it.

rafting toilet - odor minimization Bill Tuthill General 8 May 1st 05 09:04 PM
Head odor solution Roger Long Cruising 13 March 17th 05 03:46 PM
Odor in the area where the holding tank is - Peggie? Keith Cruising 1 October 11th 04 04:22 PM
OT - Boot Magic Simple Simon ASA 6 November 3rd 03 08:35 PM
marathon boot key harbour anchoring [email protected] Cruising 2 August 15th 03 09:39 AM