Default Need a two-bag policy.......

Last minute details being addressed before we head north- and this
morning I made a visit to West Marine.

1 Qt Interlux Flagship Varnish
2 adjustable fender straps
8 rolls of marine TP
1 qt of bilge soap
12 small bronze fasteners.

$106.
What a price to pay for convenience.
Except for the varnish the TP and the soap, I coulda shoulda gone to
the recycle store for second hand stuff. (I refuse to use second hand
TP).

I told the general manager that she needs to institute a two-bag
policy. Walking out with $106 worth of gear in one medium size sack
just doesn't seem right. Any expenditure over $75 ought to be packed
into at least two bags, thereby fostering the illusion of actually
getting something for the money. :-)

*JimH*

wrote in message
ups.com...
Last minute details being addressed before we head north- and this
morning I made a visit to West Marine.

1 Qt Interlux Flagship Varnish
2 adjustable fender straps
8 rolls of marine TP
1 qt of bilge soap
12 small bronze fasteners.

$106.
What a price to pay for convenience.
Except for the varnish the TP and the soap, I coulda shoulda gone to
the recycle store for second hand stuff. (I refuse to use second hand
TP).

I told the general manager that she needs to institute a two-bag
policy. Walking out with $106 worth of gear in one medium size sack
just doesn't seem right. Any expenditure over $75 ought to be packed
into at least two bags, thereby fostering the illusion of actually
getting something for the money. :-)

You could find all these things at Ace Hardware and/or Wal-Mart. Everyone
knows that marine stores charge 2 to 3 times more for items you can purchase
elsewhere.

Next time plan ahead or be prepared to pay the piper.

BTW: Why do you *need* adjustable fender straps? Why not just tie them off
directly on a rail or cleat?

*JimH* wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You're absolutely right about nearly everything being available
elsewhere.
I'm not sure about the Flagship varnish and the fender straps. I
haven't seen Flagship varnish at Home Depot, etc.

Personally, I don't need adjustable fender straps. I can tie up a
suitable hitch faster than I can fiddle with the straps. Mrs. G. has
resisted all encouragement that she learn to run the boat, so she gets
deck duty- rain or shine, when we pull up to a float or dock. She
prefers the adjustable straps. When I was driving by WM and said "Oops,
I want to get some varnish," I remembered that she said, last time we
were out, "I'm not going out on the boat again until you replace these
two fender straps, they've become jammed shut and are very difficult to
use." Happy wife makes happy boat- I think they teach that in the USPS
classes.

BTW, the latest versions of these adjustable straps are improved from
previous editions. There is now a positive twist-lock connecting the
two sides of the strap. The old version relied on a snap. We
experienced a couple of incidents where fenders were tossed overboard
with too much enthusiasm, the snap became "un", and we were forced to
circle around and snag the fender with a boat hook. I'm sure we looked
very lubberly indeed. We use three fenders per side, so if the Admiral
has good luck with these two straps I'll get her another four just in
time for birthday, anniversary, or some other special event.

*JimH*

wrote in message
ups.com...

*JimH* wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I understand Chuck. There is always a price to pay for convenience.