NOYB

Default OT--Perfect economic picture

US Treasuries fall as retail sales offset CPI
Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:04 AM ET
(Adds quotes, details on interest rate outlook, technicals and TIPS auction,
updates prices)
NEW YORK, July 14 (Reuters) - U.S. Treasury debt prices fell in volatile
trading on Thursday as stronger-than-expected June retail sales offset
tamer-than-forecast data on consumer inflation, which fueled an early rally.

"For now ... you have the perfect economic picture here -- strong spending
with low inflation." said Elisabeth Denison, an economist at Dresdner
Kleinwort Wasserstein in New York.

Perfect economic picture indeed!

Doug Kanter

"NOYB" wrote in message
link.net...

US Treasuries fall as retail sales offset CPI
Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:04 AM ET
(Adds quotes, details on interest rate outlook, technicals and TIPS
auction, updates prices)
NEW YORK, July 14 (Reuters) - U.S. Treasury debt prices fell in volatile
trading on Thursday as stronger-than-expected June retail sales offset
tamer-than-forecast data on consumer inflation, which fueled an early
rally.

"For now ... you have the perfect economic picture here -- strong spending
with low inflation." said Elisabeth Denison, an economist at Dresdner
Kleinwort Wasserstein in New York.

Perfect economic picture indeed!

How does this relate to your president's current project (to use a polite
term for Iraq), the final duration and cost of which are 100% unknown? You
can't make a value judgement about income without holding it in very good
light next to your outgoing funds.

NOYB

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news
"NOYB" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

Falling deficit, low unemployment (25 straight months of net job increases),
low inflation, strong retail sales, more first time homeowners than ever
before. Gee, Doug, you're going to have to dig deeper than that to try to
put a negative spin on the US economy right now.

Doug Kanter

"NOYB" wrote in message
link.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news
"NOYB" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

All are meaningless relative to the Iraq project, whose final cost is
unknown. If you discussed your home budget this way with your wife, she'd
dump your cereal in your lap. "Honey, looks like household income will be up
3% by next year". "OK, but the new pool, new boat, 2 new cars....and Buffy
didn't get that scholarship we hoped for". "Well....I have no idea what any
of those things will cost. Does it matter?"

SLAP!

NOYB

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"NOYB" wrote in message
link.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news
"NOYB" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

I guess that's why we're happily married. I told her we're way over budget
already for this year, and she asked me how much we'd have left over for new
kitchen cabinets.

Doug Kanter

"NOYB" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"NOYB" wrote in message
link.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news "NOYB" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

Well, that's the kind of voters we want here in America. drool "Long as I
git mine, I'm votin' for that boy".

DSK

NOYB wrote:
Falling deficit

After jacking it up to astronomical levels.

low unemployment (25 straight months of net job increases)

after a net million job loss, which the administration lied about and
tried to cover up with bull**** statistics, and now tacitly admits...
and the new 'unemployment' metric ignores more out-of-work professionals
than ever before... jobs are being sent overseas at a record pace

low inflation

That is good

strong retail sales

at Wal-Mart?

more first time homeowners than ever
before.

which is also good, but one wonders if that includes all the speculators
driving up the housing bubble.

... you're going to have to dig deeper than that to try to
put a negative spin on the US economy right now.

How about... after 5 years, maybe Bush/Cheney & Co are actually doing a
little something right? Not much, but maybe in their remaining 3 years
they'll improve their record. One can hope... and it wouldn't be
difficult...

DSK

John H.

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:21:59 -0400, DSK wrote:

NOYB wrote:
[...]

An acknowledgement! A miracle!

--
John H.
On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD
Doug Kanter

"DSK" wrote in message

more first time homeowners than ever before.

which is also good, but one wonders if that includes all the speculators
driving up the housing bubble.

Actually, I'd like to see more detail about housing purchases. For instance,
at what age did these first time buyers make their purchases? And, in what
regions and what price ranges (and where in the local pricing spectrum did
those prices fall?)

DSK

Doug Kanter wrote:
Actually, I'd like to see more detail about housing purchases. For instance,
at what age did these first time buyers make their purchases? And, in what
regions and what price ranges (and where in the local pricing spectrum did
those prices fall?)

Of course, the main statistic with regards to positive economic news is
that the 'War On Terror' news is awful.

But I agree, these would be interesting line-item comparisons. IMHO a
lot of first-time home buyers are plunging in because they expect
interest rates to go much higher. Oddly enough, that doesn't stop many
of them from getting interest-only ARMs, which is the housing market
equivalent of the huge consumer debt boom of the 1990s (which is also
still going on).

DSK