Doug Kanter

Default Car topping boat

"Rod McInnis" wrote in message

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message
. com...
Hi All,

I was wondering what is the largest 4 stroke outboard (in CA) that I can

put
in the back of my pickup and then move a few feet to mount on my boat.

You should have an idea of how much weight is your limit, but keep in mind
that there will be several situations that you have to deal with.

Most people would be able to "lift" a lot more than they could "carry".

If
you just need to lift it from the bed of the truck to a wagon on the

ground
then you can go with something a lot heavier.

He should also consider that if he's car-topping, he's probably going to be
in places where the wheels of a wagon may sink right into the sand. And, if
the motor's transported on its side, it may end up with quite a bit of gas
residue all over it. That's just the thing you want to smell like for an
entire day of fishing.

Wayne.B

On Tue, 18 May 2004 16:08:04 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:
Since you'll be moving the motor often, you
might want to poke around www.westmarine.com and see if they make some sort
of collapsible dolly to roll the motor around. Or, modify a hand truck - the
kind used for moving boxes.

==============================

A hand truck works well on my 95#, 15 hp 2 stroke. The problem is
with the lift up onto the tailgate. My 59 y/o back does not like to
do that any more, and it is really a two person job. 60 pounds would
be much more manageable but that will limit you to about 6 hp or less
in a 4 stroke.

My recommendation would be a small trailer where you can leave the
motor mounted all of the time. It's any easy one person job to launch
or retrieve a small boat on a trailer. With rollers you can even
launch it from a beach or some other site without a ramp. You can
also keep all of your gear in the boat without moving things around.

OT Hanoi John Kerry Christopher Robin General 34 March 29th 04 01:13 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM