Default Long Beach Pier to be Demolished by Developers

Gene Kearns wrote:
It is my understanding that Tommy Thomes has sold the Long Beach Pier
property (divided into nine sections) to developers located in
Raleigh, NC.

Again, my understanding is that the entire property, pier, bar,
restaurant, gift shop, motels, campground and trailers, etc. is to be
razed to make way for some form of condos. The campground has already
been demolished and it appears that the motel on the land side of the
road is being stripped of appliances.

This calendar year may mark the end of 50 years of dominance as the
longest pier in NC.

This landmark's passing will be mourned by many people who have grown
up on the pier, met and made family there, and/or "landed the limit"
during the hot runs of fishing.

--

_ ___c
\ _| \_

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/ Homepage*
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

A sad sign of the times.
The "highest and best use" of waterfront property.....(but perhaps not
the most appropriate use).....is almost always going to be something
other than providing moorage and facilities for boaters.

Bill McKee

wrote in message
ups.com...

Gene Kearns wrote:
[...]

And if the condo's get wiped out by a hurricane, I hope no federal funds go
to rescue them! About time, we stop doing an extreme subsidy of building in
the wrong place.

D-unit

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
[...]

I just learned of this myself Gene. I heard that it had to do with Tommy's
divorce and
the ex-wife who wanted her money NOW! That picture of Tommy in "The Pilot"
issue that broke the story is one sad man.

I still can't believe it. My wife and I spent many all nighters out there.
(before we were married)

I wonder how long it will be before the average joe won't be able
to afford a weekend at the beach.

Don B.

Dan J.S.

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
It is my understanding that Tommy Thomes has sold the Long Beach Pier
property (divided into nine sections) to developers located in
Raleigh, NC.

Again, my understanding is that the entire property, pier, bar,
restaurant, gift shop, motels, campground and trailers, etc. is to be
razed to make way for some form of condos. The campground has already
been demolished and it appears that the motel on the land side of the
road is being stripped of appliances.

This calendar year may mark the end of 50 years of dominance as the
longest pier in NC.

This landmark's passing will be mourned by many people who have grown
up on the pier, met and made family there, and/or "landed the limit"
during the hot runs of fishing.

'Made family there'??? hehehe

*JimH*

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:48:01 -0400, "D-unit" wrote:

I just learned of this myself Gene. I heard that it had to do with
Tommy's
divorce and the ex-wife who wanted her money NOW!

This is the story I have been told. If true, isn't it amazing how one
person's greed can affect so many.

And the Supreme Court just rules (thanks to the liberal justices) that folks
can be forced to give up their property due to greeed (the betterment of a
community).

It is indeed very sad what we are becoming.

thunder

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:07:47 -0400, *JimH* wrote:

And the Supreme Court just rules (thanks to the liberal justices) that
folks can be forced to give up their property due to greeed (the
betterment of a community).

It is indeed very sad what we are becoming.

Liberal justices? Seven of the nine were appointed by Republicans.