BoatBanter.com

-   -   Battery Meter (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/4615-battery-meter.html)

Ernie May 18th 04 01:20 PM

Battery Meter

Is it normal for the battery gauge to read 16 when the boat is in
operation? The gauge only goes up to 18. The battery will be a year old
next month. Should I be concerned?

Wayne.B May 18th 04 01:38 PM

Battery Meter

On Tue, 18 May 2004 12:20:59 GMT, "Ernie"
wrote:

Is it normal for the battery gauge to read 16 when the boat is in
operation? The gauge only goes up to 18. The battery will be a year old
next month. Should I be concerned?

Normal voltage while underway is in the range of 13.8 to 14.2

Jeff Morris May 18th 04 02:17 PM

Battery Meter

16 Volts is overcharging, and continued use will quickly destroy the battery.
The first guess would be bad wiring to the regulator, or maybe a bad regulator.
Before you do anything, check the water level in the battery - if you've been
running like this its likely down. If everything looks OK, you should check
with a digital meter to verify the voltage. Normally, regulators are set for
14.2 to 14.5 volts, and anything over 14.7 is considered overcharging. If it
really is 16 Volts, don't continue running it.

BTW, at 16 volts you should be able to smell the battery "cooking."

. ..

Rick May 18th 04 02:23 PM

Battery Meter

Ernie wrote:

Is it normal for the battery gauge to read 16

If the 16 volts displayed is accurate it is a bit too high for
continuous charging of a lead acid battery, that is the "equalizing"
voltage. Check the charging voltage with a good quality voltmeter before
you start changing things because the cheap panel meters supplied with
consumer grade boats are not known for their accuracy.

If you have access to the battery while running and the battery is a wet
cell with removable cell covers (where you add water) look and see if
the cells are bubbling. If there are a lot of bubbles and/or you have
been adding a lot water then your charging voltage is probably high.

Rick

DSK May 18th 04 02:23 PM

Battery Meter

Ernie wrote:
Is it normal for the battery gauge to read 16 when the boat is in
operation? The gauge only goes up to 18. The battery will be a year old
next month. Should I be concerned?

You should get an accurate measure of what the charging voltage is that
the alternator is putting out.

It sounds like your gage is showing 16 volts, but dashboard gages are
notoriously inaccurate. Can you put a multimeter on the battery
terminals when in operation? As somebody else posted, the voltage should
not be more that 14 or 14.2 tops.

Fair Skies
Doug King

Paul Dougherty May 18th 04 10:18 PM

Battery Meter

Here you go

http://www.solectria.com/products/amphrm.html

Marshall Banana May 18th 04 10:25 PM

Battery Meter

Also Sprach Ernie :
Is it normal for the battery gauge to read 16 when the boat is in
operation? The gauge only goes up to 18. The battery will be a year old
next month. Should I be concerned?

Regardless of the other replies, there are circumstances where charging
a charging voltage of 16-17 volts is perfectly normal and
expected. Specifically, many many older outboard engines, and even a few
newer but down-market ones, have low current unregulated charging
systems... in other words, they had a rectifier but no voltage
regulator. Since they are low current, topping out at 6 or 8 amps, they
typically won't fry your battery, so long as you make sure the water level
is topped up. Now, if you have an inboard or stern
drive, or a newer outboard with a regulated charging system, I'd do some
troubleshooting, starting by measuring the voltage at the battery with a
good digital voltmeter.

Dan

--
It's good to drink. It's good to laugh. But try to both at the same time
and you'll pay through the nose.

Camilo May 19th 04 07:10 PM

Battery Meter

"Ernie" wrote in message
. ..
Is it normal for the battery gauge to read 16 when the boat is in
operation? The gauge only goes up to 18. The battery will be a year old
next month. Should I be concerned?

Ernie - More accurately, this is a volt meter, not a battery gauge. This is
nit-picky, yes, but an important distinction. When the motor's running, it
measures the output of the charging system, not the state of the battery
itself. Therefore, it's not the battery that is possibly "wrong" it's the
charging system. I say "possibly wrong" because...

As others have mentioned, the first guess is that your dashboard gauge is
inaccurate. You can test the battery, charging system, and therefore the
gauge, by getting a decent digital multimeter. The meter doesn't have to be
expensive, but I recommend digital because they're easier to read. Set it
to the volts DC scale, and test the charging system by putting the
multimeter leads on the main battery cables while the motor is running. As
mentioned, it should read "around" 14 volts (13.8-14.2).

When the engine is stopped, the meter (and your dash gauge) would simply
test the output of the battery itself. A fully charged 12 volt battery is
12.6 volts. This varies a little higher if it's freshly charged (it will
"settle" at 12.6). But, if it's actually at 12 - it's almost dead.

You can get a very cheap, little tester that will indicate (with various
colored LED's generally) if the charging system and/or battery is good or
bad. These LED's are, of course, set to indicate the ~14 threshold for the
charging system and the ~12.6 volt threshold for the battery itself. But a
multimeter is a handy tool to have and worth spending a few bucks on. I
carry the little cheap tester in my small tool box though.

Beyond that, I don't know how to trouble shoot or fix. I don't know from
rectifiers, stators, regulators, etc. But if you find that the multimeter
shows a good charging voltage of around 14 when the engine is running, you
can be pretty sure your gauge is bad, and you need to buy a new gauge. You
can find a lot of options on line from OEM to aftermarket and should be able
to exactly, or closely match your existing gauges. I'd suggest you
temporarily test the gauge before actually installing it. Gauge
installation is a pretty easy DIY if you're so inclined.

Cam

Gould 0738 May 19th 04 09:42 PM

Battery Meter

A fully charged 12 volt battery is
12.6 volts.

13.2

2.2 volts X 6 cells equals 13.2

Eisboch May 19th 04 10:09 PM

Battery Meter

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
A fully charged 12 volt battery is
12.6 volts.

13.2

2.2 volts X 6 cells equals 13.2

This is an often debated subject, because it depends on the type of battery,
temperature, aging, etc. In general for lead acid batteries:

Open circuit voltage Charge in %
12.6V and higher 100%
12.4 - 12.6V 75 - 100%
12.2 - 12.4V 50 - 75%
12.0 - 12.2V 25 - 50%
11.7 - 12.0V 0 - 25%
11.7V and less 0%

Eisboch

Jeff Morris May 19th 04 11:49 PM

Battery Meter

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
A fully charged 12 volt battery is
12.6 volts.

13.2

2.2 volts X 6 cells equals 13.2

Nonsense. You obviously have never actually used a voltmeter on a boat. The
"open circuit voltage" varies a bit with the technology, but will generally be
between 12.6 and 12.8. It may read a tad higher after charging, but settles in
a few hours.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/custome...erymaint4.html

Drew Shuller May 19th 04 11:59 PM

Battery Meter

Gould, it's 2.1 x 6, you get 12.6.

Drew Shuller May 20th 04 12:08 AM

Battery Meter

Ernie, the best way to test a batter is with a load tester that uses a
carbon pile, but only shops would have that equipment. Autozone used to test
your battery for free with one, maybe they still do.

The voltmeter test is a good one to use on a battery, without the engine
running. Another poster said that the "voltage will settle down" after a
while....this is called a surface charge, what you get from a battery just
after it has been fully charged. It'll throw the VM test off. To remove the
surface charge, crank the motor for 15-30 seconds.

Another good test for a regular lead-acid battery is the electrolyte test.
It's a glass eye-dropper, you check each cell individually, and that way you
can tell if you have any bad cells. I can't remember the pass/fail,
something like if there are two cells that are bad, then the battery is
trash, or if two adjacent cells are bad....I can't remember. But the
electolyte test will tell you if your battery is bad.

Drew

. ..

Wayne.B May 20th 04 02:41 AM

Battery Meter

On Wed, 19 May 2004 17:09:07 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:
This is an often debated subject, because it depends on the type of battery,
temperature, aging, etc. In general for lead acid batteries:

Open circuit voltage Charge in %
12.6V and higher 100%
12.4 - 12.6V 75 - 100%
12.2 - 12.4V 50 - 75%
12.0 - 12.2V 25 - 50%
11.7 - 12.0V 0 - 25%
11.7V and less 0%

==============================

Debated indeed, but that seems a wee bit harsh to me on the low end.
I routinely run my deep cycles down to 11.5 under moderate load and
they still have lots of juice left at that level, more than enough to
start the engines for example. I've always regarded 11.5 volts as the
50% mark where you really should recharge but don't necessarily need
to. A battery discharged to that level should be recharged ASAP of
course.

Regarging Chuck's 13.2 volts, that is about the right voltage for
"floating" a fully charged battery, but the battery will soon drop
back to 12.6 or 12.7 once the float charger/battery eliminator is
turned off.

Gould 0738 May 20th 04 02:54 AM

Battery Meter

Gould, it's 2.1 x 6, you get 12.6.

If it were 2.1, you'd get 12.6. Corect.

However, the potential capacity of a cell is
2.2 volts.

Consider the "Ideal Charge Curve" described by Rick Proctor of Cruising
Equipment Co:

Bulk phase: Chare at a rate up to 20-40% of amp-hour capacity to a voltage of
about 14.4 volts. (Gel: 14.1). For example, a 200 amp-hour battery would be
charged at 40-80 amperes. This will bring the battery to about 75% of full
charge.

Aceptance phase: Maintain battery at 14.4 volts (Gel, 14.1) while the amperage
is steadily reduced. This restores the next 25% of capacity at a declining
rate. Your battery can be considered fully charged if it will accept current
equal to 2% of cpacity at 14.4 volts. Example: A 200 amp hour battery accepts
only 4 amps at 14.4 volts.

Float phase: The voltage is reduced to 13.3 volts, (gel 13.7 volts) to maintain
the battery without losing electrolyte from the cells. *THIS IS A MAINTENANCE
PHASE, NOT A CHARGING PHASE*

If you test a battery aboard a boat and it reads only 12.6, it is not fully
charged.
Fully charged to "float phase" is over 13 volts for flooded batteries and 13.7
for gel cells.

Eisboch May 20th 04 04:23 AM

Battery Meter

"Gould 0738" wrote in message

If you test a battery aboard a boat and it reads only 12.6, it is not

fully
charged.
Fully charged to "float phase" is over 13 volts for flooded batteries and

13.7
for gel cells.

With the float charger attached, agreed.
Remove the float charger for an hour or so and the voltage for a fully
charged flooded battery will be 12.6 volts.

Been that way for many, many years.

Eisboch

Jeff Morris May 20th 04 01:13 PM

Battery Meter

Where do you get this nonsense? "Open Circuit Voltage" is not the same thing as
"Float Voltage." Did you even look at the link I provided, or are you claiming
to know more about batteries than Trojan?

Gould 0738 May 20th 04 04:32 PM

Battery Meter

Where do you get this nonsense? "Open Circuit Voltage" is not the same thing
as
"Float Voltage." Did you even look at the link I provided, or are you
claiming
to know more about batteries than Trojan?

No I don't know more about batteries than Trojan.

However, if you test the batteries on your boat and you think that 12.6 means
the batteries are fully charged, that means I know more about batteries than
you.

I won't dispute that if a battery is removed from a charging system and allowed
to sit around in your garage, or languish on a retailer's shelf, the voltage
will drop. The initial drop may well be rapid, and 12.6 could be considered OK
for a partially discharged, idle battery. Put that battery back in a working
environment where it has access to charge from an alternator or a 110 charger,
and it will be "fully charged" when it achieves 2.2 volts per cell, or 13.2
volts total.

Rather obviously, the battery would not accept additional voltage if it was
"fully charged" at 12.6.

Since a "smart" charger will maintain a 13.2 voltage on a flooded, 12-volt
batery in good condition, that is the standard for full charge. If that same
charger cannot bring the voltage above 12.6, that's a likely sign that the
battery is beginning to fail.

Eisboch May 20th 04 07:23 PM

Battery Meter

"Gould 0738" wrote in message

Since a "smart" charger will maintain a 13.2 voltage on a flooded, 12-volt
batery in good condition, that is the standard for full charge. If that

same
charger cannot bring the voltage above 12.6, that's a likely sign that the
battery is beginning to fail.

So what was the full charge standard before the advent of smart chargers?
Answer: 12.6v

Not to kick a dead horse, because if you're happy with 13.2v and I am happy
with 12.6v, then we're both happy -- but:

A charger has to develop a higher voltage than the battery voltage,
otherwise it won't charge. (Basic electrical rule of difference of potential
required for current flow).

Smart chargers in the bulk charge mode usually try to run in a constant
current mode with the voltage set at 14.4 volts for flooded batteries. The
absorption mode drops the voltage to 13.5 typically. Flood maintains the
charge at 13.5 volts (depending on charger manufacturer - I happen to be
looking at a Prosine unit manual at the moment) at very low current to
minimize electrolyte evaporation, but it is still charging. Remove the
charger and a flooded battery will return to it's normal state of 12.6v
within a hour or so. Try it. I just tested three known good batteries. I
charged each one with a smart charger that finished with a float charge
potential of 13.3 volts on each.
When I removed the charger, each battery read as follows within a couple of
hours:

Group 24 Marine Deep Cycle/Start Combination battery (flooded) --- 12.6v
AGM Deep Cycle Battery --- 12.8v
Two, U2400 six volt batteries in series (flooded, RV house batteries) ---
12.6v

According to your position on full charge, I must have three batteries that
are going bad which is not the case.

Eisboch

Eisboch May 20th 04 07:27 PM

Battery Meter

"Gould 0738" wrote in message

Rather obviously, the battery would not accept additional voltage if it

was
"fully charged" at 12.6.

I think this sentence is the core of your confusion. You can apply any
voltage you want on the battery. "Equalization" or "Reconditioning" modes
of chargers often apply 17 volts, and the battery will rise to that
potential. It will also boil and melt if you leave it there too long.

Eisboch

Jeff Morris May 20th 04 08:47 PM

Battery Meter

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Where do you get this nonsense? "Open Circuit Voltage" is not the same thing
as
"Float Voltage." Did you even look at the link I provided, or are you
claiming
to know more about batteries than Trojan?

No I don't know more about batteries than Trojan.

However, if you test the batteries on your boat and you think that 12.6 means
the batteries are fully charged, that means I know more about batteries than
you.

That would appear very doubtful.

If you only test your batteries while a battery charger is runnning, then you
know very little about batteries.

I won't dispute that if a battery is removed from a charging system and

allowed
to sit around in your garage, or languish on a retailer's shelf, the voltage
will drop.

Not "lanquish," it only takes an hour or two, and can be hastened by applying a
small load. Actually, it will go below 13 Volts within minutes.

The initial drop may well be rapid, and 12.6 could be considered OK
for a partially discharged, idle battery. Put that battery back in a working
environment where it has access to charge from an alternator or a 110 charger,
and it will be "fully charged" when it achieves 2.2 volts per cell, or 13.2
volts total.

No. You're just saying that a smart charger will be at a 13.2 Volt float level
when it desides its fully charged. Take the charger off and the battery quickly
drops to 12.6.

Why do you call a "working environment" one with a charger running? Are you one
of those bozos that runs a genset all night long?

Rather obviously, the battery would not accept additional voltage if it was
"fully charged" at 12.6.

What do you mean by "accept additional voltage"? What do you think would happen
if I took a fully charged battery and put 17 Volts on it? Would it read only
13.2?

Since a "smart" charger will maintain a 13.2 voltage on a flooded, 12-volt
batery in good condition, that is the standard for full charge.

No. That's the standard for a float charge. Or are you claiming that without
the float charge the battery can't really be at 100% because it will
self-discharge some tiny amount as soon as the charger is removed? You may be
right in a pedantic way, but 99.99% is close enough to 100% for me.

If that same
charger cannot bring the voltage above 12.6, that's a likely sign that the
battery is beginning to fail.

Well, I haven't killed too many batteries, but I usually find that the Voltage
will come up on the charger, but falls too quickly when a load is applied. I'd
guess this is why people use "load testers" to test the quality of a battery.

Camilo May 20th 04 09:04 PM

Battery Meter

"Ernie" wrote in message
Thanks to all of you who contributed to resolving this issue.

Resolved? 8-)

Gould 0738 May 21st 04 12:28 AM

Battery Meter

According to your position on full charge, I must have three batteries that
are going bad which is not the case.

You do not have batteries going bad because they can be charged to 13.2.

The fact that they then partially discharge to 12.6 doesn't make them bad
batteries.

If your batteries could not be charged above 12.6, they would be starting to
fail.
As you noted, they can be charged to 13.2.

Gould 0738 May 21st 04 12:32 AM

Battery Meter

I think this sentence is the core of your confusion. You can apply any
voltage you want on the battery. "Equalization" or "Reconditioning" modes
of chargers often apply 17 volts, and the battery will rise to that
potential. It will also boil and melt if you leave it there too long.

17 volts is overcharged. "Equalization"
involves the short term overcharge of a battery to blow the crud off the
plates, but it is not a charge that a battery can sustain for a long period- as
you correctly note.

13.2 is the proper reading for a fully charged battery. That is the level which
any decent charger will maintain, and there is no "overcharged" condition.

There is a serious difference between a fully charged reading of 13.2 and an
equalization charge.

Gould 0738 May 21st 04 12:44 AM

Battery Meter

If you only test your batteries while a battery charger is runnning, then you
know very little about batteries.

You must have a very clean hog, with all that wash on hand.

Real life scenario for you:

When I go aboard my boat and prepare to get underway, I check the battery
voltmeter on the distribution panel. It always reads just over 13 volts. Before
I start the engine, I shut off the shorepower to the vessel. When the
shorepower is shut off, the battery charger is not "running".

Does the voltmeter take a nosedive to 12.6? No, it does not. It remains at over
13.

Yes, if I wait long enough the voltage will begin to drop.

But my fully charged batteries show 13.2 volts *without* the charger running.

Are you one
of those bozos that runs a genset all night long?

I don't run a genset at all. Propane galley boat with a diesel furnace. Two
Rolls 8D batteries. Not even equipped with a genset.

Are you one of those bozos who prefers to believe that the state of charge
represented by the .6 volts between 13.2 and 12.6 never existed, simply because
the first .6 volt bleeds off?

Jeff Morris May 21st 04 01:46 AM

Battery Meter

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
If you only test your batteries while a battery charger is runnning, then you
know very little about batteries.

You must have a very clean hog, with all that wash on hand.

Real life scenario for you:

When I go aboard my boat and prepare to get underway, I check the battery
voltmeter on the distribution panel. It always reads just over 13 volts.

Before
I start the engine, I shut off the shorepower to the vessel. When the
shorepower is shut off, the battery charger is not "running".

Does the voltmeter take a nosedive to 12.6? No, it does not. It remains at

over
13.

Why do you care? If it was on the charger overnight it should be fully charged.
Even if the battery is near death it probabaly won't show at that point.

Yes, if I wait long enough the voltage will begin to drop.

But my fully charged batteries show 13.2 volts *without* the charger running.

Are you one
of those bozos that runs a genset all night long?

I don't run a genset at all. Propane galley boat with a diesel furnace. Two
Rolls 8D batteries. Not even equipped with a genset.

Are you one of those bozos who prefers to believe that the state of charge
represented by the .6 volts between 13.2 and 12.6 never existed, simply

because
the first .6 volt bleeds off?

So if you stop and anchor, shut off the engine, relax for an hour or so, then
check the battery and it reads 12.6, do you assume the battery is discharged?
Everyone else would say it virtually fully charged. The bottom line is that the
extra 0.6 Volts is an artifact of a recent charge, not a sign of depletion.

Eisboch May 21st 04 02:56 AM

Battery Meter

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

I understand Gould. My point was that just as the battery will take a
charge of 13.2 volts when on a float mode charger, it will also temporarily
take the 17 volt equalization charge. Neither has anything to do with the
battery's natural full charge of --- 12.6 volts.

Two final questions for you, then I will give up and let the electrons fall
as they may ...

Following your logic, if 75% of the battery charge takes place during the
bulk charge mode at 14.4 volts - why aren't you claiming that a fully
charged 12 volt battery should read 14.4 volts?

Secondly, if the bulk charge takes place at 14.4 volts, then drops to 13.5v
or whatever for the absorbsion and float modes, what happened to the .9
volts? The charger never turned off.
Hmmmm .... where did those electrons go?

The answer is that your "fully charged" value of 13.2 volts is really just
the output voltage of the charger, not the value of the battery potential by
itself.

Eisboch

Gould 0738 May 21st 04 05:57 AM

Battery Meter

Equation 8 is certainly not the whole story. I haven’t done the experiment
myself, but according to “common knowledge� lead sulfate is formed on the
“+� plate, more in agreement with equation 3 than equation 8.

It is a tangentially interesting question whether any of the hypothetical
reactions listed above play any role -- even as intermediates -- in the real
reaction.

That is only tangentially interesting, because whether or not those reactions
occur, we are still left with a major mystery: how and why does anything
containing the SO4 group attack the “+� electrode? Neutral H2SO4 could
reach the plate by simple diffusion, but it is present in fantastically low
concentration. The bisulfate ion is present in high concentration, but would
have to swim uphill against the electric field. The sulfate ion is present in
low concentration and would have to swim doubly hard uphill. That means that
when the cell is under heavy load, i.e. when there is a large field across the
electrolyte, the SO4-related reaction would come to a halt.

Let’s put in some numbers: The cell has an open-circuit voltage of 2.2 volts
are so. Suppose that we put it under heavy load, so that there is ? v = 0.4
volts “IR� drop across the electrolyte. As always, room temperature
corresponds to 25 meV (.025 electron-volts). Putting it all together: the
Boltzmann factor that tells you what fraction of the bisulfate ions manage to
climb the potential is exp(q ? v / kT) = exp(.4 / .025) = 9,000,000. So we
would expect the reaction to proceed millions of times slower when we need it
to proceed faster.

In the foregoing calculation, we ignored the effect of dielectric screening.
This may or may not have been the right thing. Argument pro: energy is
conserved. At the end of the day, to move a bisulfate ion up a hill 0.4 volts
high, you have to do 0.4 eV of work. Argument con: most of the height of the
hill is associated with the dipole layer at the edge of the water, at the place
where the electrolyte meets the plate; within the bulk of the electrolyte the
field is smaller. The ions can with relatively resonable probability get close
to the “+� plate, just outside the dipole layer. Unanswered question: if
they get that close, is that close enough?

**********************

Note the basis of calculation, opening sentence, paragraph four: 2.2 volts per
cell.

From

http://www.av8n.com/physics/lead-acid.htm

Eisboch May 21st 04 06:22 AM

Battery Meter

"Gould 0738" quoted in message

a bunch of theoretical mumbo jumbo from:

http://www.av8n.com/physics/lead-acid.htm

Ok, Chuck. Next time you need a new battery for your boat, run down to West
Marine and ask for a 13 volt battery.

More volts to you!

Eisboch (happy to have 12.6 when I can get it)

Gould 0738 May 21st 04 06:48 AM

Battery Meter

An informed reference citing that voltage in a lead acid battery should not be
allowed to "fall below" 2.1 volts per cell.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-6.htm

(Rather a long way from jam-packed to capacity at the same value).

Gould 0738 May 21st 04 06:59 AM

Battery Meter

A source with yet a third opinion:
Describes a fully charged cell as 2.17 volts, float voltage at 12.9.

http://www.keelynet.com/energy/sylcell.htm

Gould 0738 May 21st 04 07:01 AM

Battery Meter

Yet another opinion:

"2.15 volts per cell."

Includes a chart showing a 12-volt battery is about 25% discharged at 12.6
volts

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...geBattery.html

Gould 0738 May 21st 04 07:14 AM

Battery Meter

An SLA must always be stored in a charged state. A topping charge should be
applied every six months (or other time intervals as recommended by the
manufacturer) to avoid the voltage from dropping below 2.10 volts per cell.

An approximate charge-level indication can be obtained by measuring the open
terminal voltage of the cell while in storage. A voltage of 2.11V reveals that
the cell has a charge of 50% and higher. If the voltage is at or above this
threshold, the battery is in good condition and only needs a full charge cycle
prior to use. If the voltage drops below 2.10V, several discharge/charge cycles
may be required to bring the battery to full performance.

(from)

http://www.allegromicro.com/techpub2.../index3311.htm

*******************

2.11 volts per cell indicates as little as a 50% charge, according to this
source

Eisboch May 21st 04 07:36 AM

Battery Meter

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Yet another opinion:

"2.15 volts per cell."

Includes a chart showing a 12-volt battery is about 25% discharged at 12.6
volts

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...geBattery.html

I see where you are coming from Chuck. I think our differences are real
world vs theoretical.
Once discharged, even modestly, a brand new battery cannot be charged back
to and hold (without benefit of a float charger) it's theoretical capacity.
Initially the difference is small, but over time and with subsequent
discharges, the difference gets larger until it's time for a new battery.
During it's lifetime, the battery is considered "good" even though it is
slowly degrading. Equalization or reconditioning extends the useful life of
the battery, but it can never achieve and hold the theoretical per cell
charge. To make matters worse, I doubt you could find a mass produced
battery that has each cell producing exactly the same voltage, and more so
as the battery ages.

A couple of years ago I had to replace three 8D batteries in my big boat.
Since I didn't want double hernias from this process, I checked the voltage
on the new batteries before lugging them down into the engine room. 12.6
volts on each.

I guess we exhausted this subject.

Eisboch

Jeff Morris May 21st 04 03:32 PM

Battery Meter

Of lot of interesting links. Of course, none are relevant to the discussion.
For example, much of it refers to SLA batteries, what here in the States are
usually called Gel batteries. Admittedly, their "open circuit voltage" is
higher: 13.0 Volts is considered 100% charged, and 12.6 would be roughly half
discharged. Further, the settling time is considerably longer.

However, for a normal flooded battery an open circuit Voltage of over 12.6 to
12.8 (depending on the model) implies 100% charged. As Nigel Calder says "If
Voltage readings are to be a meaningful reflection of the state of charge, the
battery must be allowed to sit for at least 10 minutes; and hour or two would be
better, overnight would be best (gel-cell batteries may to 48 hours to
stabilize)." He then refers to a chart that indicates 100% charged for 12.6
Volts or greater (typical wet-cell);13.0 (Gel-Cell).

A fuller description at:
http://www.optimabattery.freeserve.c...AQ/carfaq4.htm
where it explains that "Surface charge is the uneven mixture of sulfuric acid
and water along the surface of the plates as a result of charging or
discharging. It will make a weak battery appear good or a good battery appear
bad." In other words, of you read the Voltage immediately after removing the
charger, you will be misled as to the state of charge.

You mentioned you have Rolls Batteries. Here's their service bulletin, where
they say "Determining state of charge by voltage is more difficult as there must
be no load or surface voltage present", but they indicate 100% charged is at
12.6 Volts:

http://www.rollsbattery.com/Bulletins/600.htm

Gould 0738 May 21st 04 04:07 PM

Battery Meter

Of lot of interesting links. Of course, none are relevant to the discussion.

The discussion question revolves around the voltage of a fully charged battery.

When evaluating battery charge to determine whether the charger has done its
job, the voltage you want to achieve is 2.2 volts per cell, or 13.2.

If you are disconnecting a charger when you get to 12.6, you have not fully
charged your battery. If your charger cannot raise the voltage above 12.6, you
have a bad charger or a failing battery.

Several hours later the state of charge may deteriorate from 13.2 to 12.6. Your
quote from Nigel Calder says that it might take as long as "overnight" for the
battery to self-discharge to 12.6.

The final .6 volts are there in the beginning, when the battery is *fully*
charged, and before it drops off to the lower number.
Therefore, a fully charged battery is 13.2 unless the final .6 volts can be
shown to be a mass hallucination.

There is no logic at all in a position that says the battery is not "fully
charged" until the reading declines .6 volt.

Wayne.B May 21st 04 04:52 PM

Battery Meter

On Fri, 21 May 2004 10:32:00 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
wrote:

You mentioned you have Rolls Batteries. Here's their service bulletin, where
they say "Determining state of charge by voltage is more difficult as there must
be no load or surface voltage present", but they indicate 100% charged is at
12.6 Volts:

http://www.rollsbattery.com/Bulletins/600.htm

The Rolls web site information is right on the money in my experience.

If memory is correct, Rolls was founded by John Surette who has long
been regarded as a leading battery engineer.

Wayne.B May 21st 04 04:57 PM

Battery Meter

On 21 May 2004 15:07:58 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

There is no logic at all in a position that says the battery is not "fully
charged" until the reading declines .6 volt.

There is a great deal of logic however in saying that 12.6 is the
normal resting voltage of a fully charged battery. That is the
condition most people will be interested in. Evaluating the state of
charge of a battery still connected to a charger/eliminator makes very
little sense, and that is really what this whole discussion is all
about.