Default 30 year old fiberglass hull?

We're thinking about getting a 1976 Burns Craft houseboat.
It's very nice inside but I worry about a fiberglass hull
that's been in the water for almost 30 years. Should I
pass on it for a metal-hulled boat? Are they any better?

Thank you, Michael

tony thomas

Both have advantages. Bottom line is has it been maintained w/ proper
bottom paint and barrior coats thru the years.
Also what is the condition of the boots/seals around the engine drives
(assuming it is not an outboard).

I would definetly want a haul out survey done before spending any money on a
houseboat.

--
Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

-
wrote in message
oups.com...
We're thinking about getting a 1976 Burns Craft houseboat.
It's very nice inside but I worry about a fiberglass hull
that's been in the water for almost 30 years. Should I
pass on it for a metal-hulled boat? Are they any better?

Thank you, Michael

Butch Davis

I wouldn't worry too much about the FRP hull of that vintage. Probably
overbuilt.

BUT, Have the boat surveyed by a competent surveyor. Is it out of the
water? That'll make the survey easier. If everything checks out with a dry
survey put it in the water for sea trials by the surveyor. Also have a
marine mechanic checkout the engines and running gear.

Butch
wrote in message
oups.com...
We're thinking about getting a 1976 Burns Craft houseboat.
It's very nice inside but I worry about a fiberglass hull
that's been in the water for almost 30 years. Should I
pass on it for a metal-hulled boat? Are they any better?

Thank you, Michael

Thanks, Butch and Tony, for the valuable comments. We looked at
the boat yesterday and I've been pondering the haul out options my-
self, but I sorta doubt that that is financially feasible. It's a 50
foot
boat and pulling it out is pretty close to a Fourwinds Marina monopoly.
My guess is they'd want close to $2,000 to do it, plus the inspection
on top of that. A floating survey is entirely possible, but I wonder
what
that misses.

Thanks again, Michael

tony thomas

Should not cost that much for a haul out. My guess is a couple hundred at
most for them to lift it out long enough for the surveyer to inspect the
hull. They would just lift it and then set it back down in the water once
done. If you schedule everything right and have it done on a Monday or
Tuesday should not be too expensive and well worth the knowledge.
Ask the owner to show you a reciept for the last time the hull was bottom
painted and barrier coat installed.
If he can't provide then you know it has not been done in a long time which
will indicate probable blistering of the hull.
Have the wet inspection done first to verify everything and then if still
interested have the pull out done. That way you can decide whether to leave
it out for some work (new bottom paint, props, boots, etc..) or have it set
back in immediately.

--
Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

-
wrote in message
ps.com...
Thanks, Butch and Tony, for the valuable comments. We looked at
the boat yesterday and I've been pondering the haul out options my-
self, but I sorta doubt that that is financially feasible. It's a 50
foot
boat and pulling it out is pretty close to a Fourwinds Marina monopoly.
My guess is they'd want close to $2,000 to do it, plus the inspection
on top of that. A floating survey is entirely possible, but I wonder
what
that misses.

Thanks again, Michael

Butch Davis

Michael,

Agree with Tony on the haul out. That's essential for virtually any boat
and should not be as expensive as you expect.. How can you check the
running gear and hull condition with the boat in the water?

Also, FWIW, I believe a steel hull of that age is far more likely to have
problems than FRP. Steel can thin at an amazingly fast rate once the paint
is compromised. A common practice with thinning hulls is to scab leaking
areas. Above the WL the hull can appear perfect while below, especially at
the turns of the chines and keel, the hull is very well covered with scabs
(exterior patches). Well executed steel hull repairs are not a bad thing
but are expensive compared to scabs. Once again, a haul out is essential.

As to bottom paint and barrier coat. Depending on several factors barrier
coat may or may NOT have been necessary. Seems to me that FRP hull blisters
started becoming a significant problem toward the late seventies. If the
hull has had no blistering nor delam issues in 30 years it's not likely it
will ever have any.

Good luck.

Butch
"tony thomas" wrote in message
[...]

wrote in message
ps.com...
Thanks, Butch and Tony, for the valuable comments. We looked at
the boat yesterday and I've been pondering the haul out options my-
self, but I sorta doubt that that is financially feasible. It's a 50
foot
boat and pulling it out is pretty close to a Fourwinds Marina monopoly.
My guess is they'd want close to $2,000 to do it, plus the inspection
on top of that. A floating survey is entirely possible, but I wonder
what
that misses.

Thanks again, Michael

Joe Blizzard

"Butch Davis" wrote
I wouldn't worry too much about the FRP hull of that vintage. Probably
overbuilt.

Based on the tank-like construction (and weight) of my 1977 Thunderbird, I'd
say that's probably a fair statement. Also, I should think that a haul-out
inspection would be wise for any type of hull.