BoatBanter.com

-   -   First 300 hp Four Stroke Outboard... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/45876-re-first-300-hp-four-stroke-outboard.html)

Shortwave Sportfishing July 6th 05 11:39 AM

First 300 hp Four Stroke Outboard...

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:33:26 -0400, HarryKrause
wrote:

...will be offered by who?

No turbocharger or supercharger...just a V6 or V8 outboard, four stroke,
300 shp.

My local Yamaha dealer says he thinks in three years or so.

I'm guessing Suzuki.

You'd guess right and I heard form a normally fairly clued in type
that it's next year.

Woodchuck July 6th 05 12:13 PM

Rumor has it Mercury is working on a 300hp 300XS optimax

--
If it is Bad for Bush,
It is Good for the United States.

Shortwave Sportfishing July 6th 05 01:11 PM

wrote:

...will be offered by who?

No turbocharger or supercharger...just a V6 or V8 outboard, four stroke,
300 shp.

My local Yamaha dealer says he thinks in three years or so.

I'm guessing Suzuki.

You'd guess right and I heard form a normally fairly clued in type
that it's next year.

Suzuki seems the most adventurous. Doubt I'd buy one, though; the
engines seem ok, but most of the Suzuki dealerships I have seen seem
marginal. The extended warranty Suzuki gives away isn't much good if you
can't find a dealer who handles it properly and on a timely basis.

The Squeezeuki mechanic over in Rhode Island is pretty good actually.
He seems to have a real handle on four stroke outboards.

The word that I heard is that some of the 300 hp tech is coming right
from the motorcycle side of the business - small V-8 producing
horsepower via the high rev route.

Dunno - we'll see.

[email protected] July 6th 05 03:39 PM

V8 outboard? sounds crazy having that hang on the transom.

Whats wrong with a light supercharged V6???

Matt

NOYB July 6th 05 03:50 PM

"HarryKrause" wrote in message
...will be offered by who?

No turbocharger or supercharger...just a V6 or V8 outboard, four stroke,
300 shp.

My local Yamaha dealer says he thinks in three years or so.

I'm guessing Suzuki.

I'd guess Suzuki too. Their current engines have the cubic inches to do it
pretty easily.

[email protected] July 6th 05 04:09 PM

HarryKrause wrote:
wrote:
V8 outboard? sounds crazy having that hang on the transom.

Whats wrong with a light supercharged V6???

Matt

I prefer the large-displacement, naturally aspirated approach to
horsepower in gasoline engines.

me too, except when it hangs on my transom. Then lighter is better.
which a charged motor will deliver :)

I have a boat large enough and strong enough and heavy enough to handle
a single V8 outboard on the transom. But a 300 hp V6 would interest me.
I've got a 225 now, and it would take a jump to 300 hp to make any real
difference in cruise speed.

I dont know ... I would take light at any boat

Matt

Shortwave Sportfishing July 6th 05 04:26 PM

On 6 Jul 2005 07:39:13 -0700, wrote:

V8 outboard? sounds crazy having that hang on the transom.

You have to remember - these are extremely light, high rev engines
we're discussing here and only in theory. To produce that kind of
horsepower in a light weight engine, you need revs - lots of 'em.

Whats wrong with a light supercharged V6???

Nothing really - could work, but it's not normally aspirated which I
assume is the goal here.

Again, this is all hear say, nothing actually is proven and it's all
rumor mongering.

Speculation if you will.

[email protected] July 6th 05 04:34 PM

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On 6 Jul 2005 07:39:13 -0700, wrote:

V8 outboard? sounds crazy having that hang on the transom.

You have to remember - these are extremely light, high rev engines
we're discussing here and only in theory. To produce that kind of
horsepower in a light weight engine, you need revs - lots of 'em.

not necessarily. A charged motor will have ample torque.

Shortwave Sportfishing July 6th 05 04:42 PM

On 6 Jul 2005 08:34:47 -0700, wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On 6 Jul 2005 07:39:13 -0700,
wrote:

V8 outboard? sounds crazy having that hang on the transom.

You have to remember - these are extremely light, high rev engines
we're discussing here and only in theory. To produce that kind of
horsepower in a light weight engine, you need revs - lots of 'em.

not necessarily. A charged motor will have ample torque.

I'm not arguing that - I agree. But with normal fuel injection
breathing normal air, you need high revs.

Shortwave Sportfishing July 6th 05 04:53 PM

wrote:

V8 outboard? sounds crazy having that hang on the transom.
You have to remember - these are extremely light, high rev engines
we're discussing here and only in theory. To produce that kind of
horsepower in a light weight engine, you need revs - lots of 'em.
not necessarily. A charged motor will have ample torque.

I'm not arguing that - I agree. But with normal fuel injection
breathing normal air, you need high revs.

While others might be, I'm not really concerned about the weight of a
300 hp outboard for my Parker. The 225 I have now weighs 500+, and these
boats are now being sold with two 225s, so that's a half ton on the
transom. The boat is heavy, with a lot of weight amidships and forward.
A 700 pound single outboard on the transom producing 300 hp isn't going
to upset the boat's balance, although I would guess 600 pounds. Half a
tank of fuel on my boat weighs about that.

Good point.