Ken H

Default Waxing a prop?

To the group,

Any benefit to polishing/waxing a propeller?

I'm a newby, and was wondering if a slippery (waxed) propeller is better
(more efficient).

Or is a non waxed one better, maybe allowing more 'bite'.

My intuition says that smoother is better, since propellers operate on a
water pressure difference (ahead and behind the prop) to create motion.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

RGrew176

From: Ken H

To the group,

Any benefit to polishing/waxing a propeller?

I'm a newby, and was wondering if a slippery (waxed) propeller is better
(more efficient).

Or is a non waxed one better, maybe allowing more 'bite'.

My intuition says that smoother is better, since propellers operate on a
water pressure difference (ahead and behind the prop) to create motion.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

I've done it but have not really noticed any difference. I'm talking about
aluminum props. I ordered stainless steel props to put on the boat this season
will be interested in any differences in performance.
Netsock

Wouldn't seem to me that waxing/polishing would yield much. In fact, it
might add slip.

As long as the leading and trailing edges are clean, and the blades are true
and balanced, you shouldn't worry about it.

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.insight.rr.com/cgreen/
"Ken H" wrote in message
To the group,

Any benefit to polishing/waxing a propeller?

I'm a newby, and was wondering if a slippery (waxed) propeller is better
(more efficient).

Or is a non waxed one better, maybe allowing more 'bite'.

My intuition says that smoother is better, since propellers operate on a
water pressure difference (ahead and behind the prop) to create motion.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Ron White

That won't work.

--
Ron White
Boat building web address is

Rick

Ken H wrote:

Any benefit to polishing/waxing a propeller?

My intuition says that smoother is better, since propellers operate on a
water pressure difference (ahead and behind the prop) to create motion.

Your intuition is absolutely correct. Polishing the face of the
propeller will increase the efficiency of the prop and reduce fuel
consumption. A highly polished surface will reduce the amount of fouling
and increase the time before significant fouling accumulates. The
performance difference on a small boat may be so small as to be nearly
undetectable before fouling occurs but the effect is real.

Waxing the prop is a waste of time, the wax will vanish after a few
minutes operation.

Rick

Gould 0738

Waxing the prop is a waste of time, the wax will vanish after a few
minutes operation.

Rick

But think of the commercial opportunity!

Somebody can buy a 55-gallon drum of Turtle Wax, repackage it in 2-oz tins as
"prop wax" (you'll need to buy two if you have twin engines, of course), and
millions of folks would $pony up. Probably mark the stuff up 3500% at
wholesale. :-)

Rick

Gould 0738 wrote:

But think of the commercial opportunity!

Somebody can buy a 55-gallon drum of Turtle Wax, repackage it in 2-oz tins as
"prop wax" (you'll need to buy two if you have twin engines, of course), and
millions of folks would $pony up. Probably mark the stuff up 3500% at
wholesale. :-)

You are quick, Chuck! But a little late ... I just ordered a drum of
fish wax (fish oil with a plasticizer) and plan to market it as Flying
Fish Prop Wax.

Everyone knows how well flying fish perform so it only follows that a
regular application of Flying Fish brand prop wax will provide wave
hopping performance gains to planing boats and phenomenal fuel savings
as well as a very satisfying speed increase when used on displacement hulls.

Yes, you read that correctly! Flying Fish brand prop wax isn't just for
props!

Email me with your shipping address and I will send you a seasons supply
for your tuglet at the special introductory price.

Rick

Netsock

Don't forget...they have to apply it to the bottom of the boat too!

But seriously, I did hear that many years ago, the Navy experimented with a
"slippery gel", they would apply to the front of a torpedo to make it more
efficient.

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.insight.rr.com/cgreen/
"Rick" wrote in message
news

Gould 0738 wrote:

[...]

Woodchuck

Most all of Mercury hi-performance stainless props are satin finished! My
hi-performance sportmaster lower unit is unpainted and has a satin finish
straight from the factory. All my Mercury performance props... 28p, 30p, 32p
are all satin finished from Mercury. Get the hint?

"Ken H" wrote in message
To the group,

Any benefit to polishing/waxing a propeller?

I'm a newby, and was wondering if a slippery (waxed) propeller is better
(more efficient).

Or is a non waxed one better, maybe allowing more 'bite'.

My intuition says that smoother is better, since propellers operate on a
water pressure difference (ahead and behind the prop) to create motion.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Greg O

"Woodchuck" wrote in message
Most all of Mercury hi-performance stainless props are satin finished! My
hi-performance sportmaster lower unit is unpainted and has a satin finish
straight from the factory. All my Mercury performance props... 28p, 30p,

32p
are all satin finished from Mercury. Get the hint?

Yeah! Merc is too cheap to polish the props!? ;-)
Greg

Force Prop for 50HP outboard Bob La Londe General 2 April 28th 04 02:23 AM
Stainless Prop selection question Christopher Rugg General 2 April 12th 04 09:13 PM
Removing lower unit from 40 hp Johnson outboard - Help? Brian Silver General 9 September 29th 03 06:17 PM
which prop Tony Thomas General 0 July 30th 03 12:35 PM
Prop sizes/performance Steve Lomax General 6 July 23rd 03 11:49 PM