junkfish1

Default V hull jon boats and waves

Hello, i am currently looking to buy a boat and am looking at going
with a large jon boat as i mainly fish small lakes but also fish the
rivers and some larger wisconsin lakes, and hunt ducks. The model in
particular that i am looking at is a lowe roughneck 1752vpt. it is a
side console 17' ft long with a 52" floor and 75" beam. It is a mod-v
front and the bottom is not flat it is a 6 degree hull to cut through
chop and waves better. My question is do you think that this type of
boat should handle these bigger fishing lakes in relatively calm
conditions, I do not see my self going out in rough water, but would
like to be able to have the boat handle small chop and 1 footers good
enough to get me around or back home. I also drift and cast a lot for
pike when it does get windy, do you think this boat will handle well
for this since it is so wide? Does anyone here have one of these new
jon's with the v bottom? I also am interested in other suggestions for
an all around hunting or fishing boat between 16 and 18 feet.

thanks,

junkfish

Bob La Londe

"junkfish1" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Should handle what you are talking about just fine. I have a 16' flat
bottom, square front jon that can handle light stuff like 1 footers, boat
wakes etc. Just takes a little practice. Your boat could probably even
handle 2-3 footers in a pinch. Just trim down slightly (not a lot) and back
off the thottle.

I use mine on a river that gets a lot of water skiers, jet skiers, and
wakeboard boats. I just have to stay sharp ont he water in front of my when
running at my whopping top speed of about 32 mph.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

John H

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 16:40:25 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"junkfish1" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Bob, where'd you catch those stripers on alt.binaries.pictures.fishing? In the
Chesapeake the minimum size is 18". I wish they'd lower it to 15 or so, 'cause I
sure hate throwing 17"ers back!
--
John H

Bob La Londe

"John H" wrote in message

Bob, where'd you catch those stripers on alt.binaries.pictures.fishing? In
the
Chesapeake the minimum size is 18". I wish they'd lower it to 15 or so,
'cause I
sure hate throwing 17"ers back!
--
John H

Colorado River. No size limit. I think there is a ten fish bag limit.
Further up in Lake Mead and Lake Powel there is no bag limit on stripers at
all. They are way overpopulated. They are some what over populated here
too, but I think there is still a ten fish bag limit. I never keep more
than we can eat at a single meal anyway. I like my fish fresh.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

a 6 degree hull will be quiet harsh but thats subjective ... testdrive
this boat in chop. Softer than a flat bottom it will be.

Matt

John H

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 17:44:43 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"John H" wrote in message

Bob, where'd you catch those stripers on alt.binaries.pictures.fishing? In
the
Chesapeake the minimum size is 18". I wish they'd lower it to 15 or so,
'cause I
sure hate throwing 17"ers back!
--
John H

Colorado River. No size limit. I think there is a ten fish bag limit.
Further up in Lake Mead and Lake Powel there is no bag limit on stripers at
all. They are way overpopulated. They are some what over populated here
too, but I think there is still a ten fish bag limit. I never keep more
than we can eat at a single meal anyway. I like my fish fresh.

How big do they get in a river like that? In the Chesapeake, 40+ inchers are
caught in the spring. (Not that I wouldn't rather eat an 18" er, mind you.)
--
John H

Bob La Londe

wrote:

"John H" wrote in message

[...]

I have not heard of a big one in a long time, but on Lake Powel we used to
get into schools running from 8-12 pounds regularly. The last time I was
there we typically got into schools of 12-145 inchers shallow busitngs and
2-5 pounders deep.

Down here by Yuma the biggest i have caught rana bout 2 pounds, and you have
seen the schoolies. Basically 6 to 14 inches, but a firend of mine caught a
12 pounder a couple months ago in a tournament, I have heard of them
running as much as 30 down here and over 50 up at Powell, but I don't have
any first hand experience or personally know anybody who has caught one.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com