JAXAshby

Default How much does chain stretch and is it important?

And drunk or sober, I've got your number....

no, you are drunk, and no, you don't understand a thing about anchoring. go
sleep it off.

(why do powerboaters drink so much???)
JAXAshby

chris, you make the point that the all chain crowd is endangering the lives of
all around them, but please understand the amount of chain needed to keep some
on the bottom in winds above say 15 is HUGE.

Chain lying on the bottom is not a catenary. It is a variable load
in equilibrium with the forces acting on the hull. It only becomes
a catenary when the last link has lifted from the bottom and the
anchor is about to break out. If this point is ever reached it means
that the chain was too light and/or too short.

Of course, we could consider the case of the idiot who pays out only
enough chain to reach the bottom and then crowds on sail in a
storm. In this case the chain may become tight or the anchor may
break out. Darwin will probably then do the world a favour by removing
said idiot from the gene pool.

Chris Newport

On Saturday 15 May 2004 2:35 pm in rec.boats JAXAshby wrote:

chris, you make the point that the all chain crowd is endangering the
lives of all around them, but please understand the amount of chain needed
to keep some on the bottom in winds above say 15 is HUGE.

I made no such point, and you are wrong. If 4xdepth of chain is all
lifted then your chain is much too light. No amount of rope is going
to change the fact.

You are clearly either trolling or clueless, either way the best reply
is PLONK.

--
My real address is crn (at) netunix (dot) com
WARNING all messages containing attachments or html will be silently

JAXAshby

chris -- tries to -- say(s) he an asshole with his post below, bet let's ignore
that part and just tell him that a boat with long chain is one hell of a lever
and will easily lift one HUGE amount of chain off the bottom in even 15 knot
winds.

Let's suggest that Chris -- as long as he is an expert of this stuff -- tell us
just how many pounds of chain can be lifted how many feet in a 15 knot -- let
alone 25 knot -- wind.

On the other hand, maybe -- jes maybees yous understoods -- chris is irritated
to find out that his 4x all chain rode will pull loose from the bottom.

I keep trying to say chris is not an asshole, but it shore is tough not to.

maybe he is just too damned lazy to go boating responsibly.

[...]

JAXAshby

you misunderstood, gene. I was saying nothing other that trying to talk to a
drunk is a worthless endeaver.

come back in a few days.

And drunk or sober, I've got your number....

no, you are drunk, and no, you don't understand a thing about anchoring. go
sleep it off.

(why do powerboaters drink so much???)

Ok.... attacking the poster..... that's ok, I'll take that as your
admission of inflexibility, binary thinking, and just flat running out
of facts and logic..... we'll just let this one die here since all
we're doing now is raising your blood pressure.

I await your next irrational diatribe.....

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/ Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.com/directions.asp Where Southport,NC
is located.
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.linksysnet.com Real Time
Pictures at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats
at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

JAXAshby

I await your next irrational diatribe.....

gene, you are a glutton for punishment. drunkenly, you claimed that all chain
rode is acceptable behavior in windy and wavy conditions, and -- that was shone
to be patently stupid -- you drunkenly claimed to be a college physics
professor even though it was clear you didn't even know the terms used.

go dry out for a few days and then come back. nobody will mention your stupid
behavior if you don't bring it up.
JAXAshby

"a boat with long chain is one hell of a lever" ???? I suppose you
could row a boat with a rope, too!

so much for the knowledge of the self-claimed "professor of physics"
JAXAshby

Maybe you should email these people and tell them they are drunk, too.

http://www.johnsboatstuff.com/Articles/anchor.htm

gene, you are still have not sobered up enough to realize you are quoting a
non-qual in your drunken belief that if someone somewhere wrote something it
HAS to be true.

some college "professor of physics" you are.
JAXAshby

Any accidents?

well, there was the cat that hit the Moody 52 (I heard it was a Moody) and ran
both into the breadwater at the USNA. Only ten minutes before the cat almost
hit me. ten minutes after that there was the ketch with less windage than my
boat and two (count 'em, two!) cqr's (each twice the weight of my anchor) and 7
to 1 scope all chain rode *each*.

virtually every boat you see dragging anchor in winds of 20+ knots and wave of
3+ feet are on all chain. the clowns claim it is "an Act of God" rather than
admit stupidity.