JAXAshby

Default How much does chain stretch and is it important?

I teach a college level physics course

BULL ****! no chance in hell. For *IF* you did, you *WOULD* know the physics
and math involved in a catenary, which -- obvious from your posts you do not.

knock it off, gene. you are way too drunk. sleep it off for a couple days and
then come back.
JAXAshby

You still have that crappy little sailbote?

that is PORTA-bote, not sailbote, and no I didn't buy the sail kit to go with
it. and it is not crappy either. the Porta-bote is a fine dinghy, much better
than my Achilles dinghy.
JAXAshby

You posted on numerous occasions that I put others
at risk by anchoring with all chain rode.

gene, what the hell did you study in college? first you claim you studied
physics (obviously a lie) and now you are trying to claim to understand
English. did you go to a technical college where English was taught as a
second language.

what I said was you use all chain you endanger others with your reckless
behavior. Clearly (to native speakers of English) that statement is assumptive
rather than normative.

dry out for a few days, gene, and then come back.
Chris Newport

On Saturday 15 May 2004 2:29 am in rec.boats JAXAshby wrote:

so, NON-asshole, wanna explain to us the forces of catenaries?

Of course you don't want to even try. Obviously, by your statement below,
you
don't have a clew of the forces involved. (dumb cluck that you are, you
are not even aware that the math and physics of the for forces on the
catenary of nylon rode is the very same as a chain rode).

What an asshole.
You obviously do not understand why you should pay out 4xdepth of chain.
A little understanding of force vectors then explains why the chain
cannot be pulled tight.

Please get a clue and learn not to top-post.

Chain lying on the bottom is not a catenary. It is a variable load
in equilibrium with the forces acting on the hull. It only becomes
a catenary when the last link has lifted from the bottom and the
anchor is about to break out. If this point is ever reached it means
that the chain was too light and/or too short.

Of course, we could consider the case of the idiot who pays out only
enough chain to reach the bottom and then crowds on sail in a
storm. In this case the chain may become tight or the anchor may
break out. Darwin will probably then do the world a favour by removing
said idiot from the gene pool.

JAXAshby

gene, you become a fraud when you have had too much to drink. knock it off for
a few days and you will probably feel better.

Physics, indeed!

yup, that is where the physics and mathematics of catinaries is taught.

No sh*t! I've had a lot of math, physics, chemistry, etc...... but
I've never heard of a "catinaries." What the hell is that???

Oh, wow, if you mean catenary..... shame on you.... you already know
how chain "stretches." JAX, are you trolling again??? Shame on you.

You should have sat through a few intro classes of
logic, instead.

never took any *intro* courses in logic at the college level, but take quite

number of upper level logic courses. (had the *intro* well covered in high
school)

I didn't took (sic) any upper level courses until I had taken enough
English to understand them. You shouldn't have either.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/ Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.com/directions.asp Where Southport,NC
is located.
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.linksysnet.com Real Time
Pictures at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats
at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

JAXAshby

I've had a lot of math, physics, chemistry, etc.

*IF* ever were true, you plainly have lost most of what you may have ever
learned.

At least that is the conclusion to be drawn if we take your posts as evidence.

JAXAshby

chris, you make the point that the all chain crowd is endangering the lives of
all around them, but please understand the amount of chain needed to keep some
on the bottom in winds above say 15 is HUGE.

Chain lying on the bottom is not a catenary. It is a variable load
in equilibrium with the forces acting on the hull. It only becomes
a catenary when the last link has lifted from the bottom and the
anchor is about to break out. If this point is ever reached it means
that the chain was too light and/or too short.

Of course, we could consider the case of the idiot who pays out only
enough chain to reach the bottom and then crowds on sail in a
storm. In this case the chain may become tight or the anchor may
break out. Darwin will probably then do the world a favour by removing
said idiot from the gene pool.

Chris Newport

On Saturday 15 May 2004 2:35 pm in rec.boats JAXAshby wrote:

chris, you make the point that the all chain crowd is endangering the
lives of all around them, but please understand the amount of chain needed
to keep some on the bottom in winds above say 15 is HUGE.

I made no such point, and you are wrong. If 4xdepth of chain is all
lifted then your chain is much too light. No amount of rope is going
to change the fact.

You are clearly either trolling or clueless, either way the best reply
is PLONK.

Chain lying on the bottom is not a catenary. It is a variable load
in equilibrium with the forces acting on the hull. It only becomes
a catenary when the last link has lifted from the bottom and the
anchor is about to break out. If this point is ever reached it means
that the chain was too light and/or too short.

Of course, we could consider the case of the idiot who pays out only
enough chain to reach the bottom and then crowds on sail in a
storm. In this case the chain may become tight or the anchor may
break out. Darwin will probably then do the world a favour by removing
said idiot from the gene pool.

--
My real address is crn (at) netunix (dot) com
WARNING all messages containing attachments or html will be silently