John H

Default Lost manuals - Preventative measure

Just saw another post wherein the poster had lost a manual. I use a three-ring,
nylon covered, zippered binder to store all the various manuals. I found the
binder in a trash can at school, but they are available where ever school
supplies are sold. I keep large manuals in document protectors, and use pencil
holders made for binders to hold the small manuals (gps, radio, depth finder,
etc.) This stays on the boat, except in the rare instance I need to bring a
manual home. I also keep the boat registration, trailer registration, etc in the
same binder.

Works great, and I've never misplaced a manual.
--
John H

*JimH*

"John H" wrote in message
Just saw another post wherein the poster had lost a manual. I use a
three-ring,
nylon covered, zippered binder to store all the various manuals. I found
the
binder in a trash can at school, but they are available where ever school
supplies are sold. I keep large manuals in document protectors, and use
pencil
holders made for binders to hold the small manuals (gps, radio, depth
finder,
etc.) This stays on the boat, except in the rare instance I need to bring
manual home. I also keep the boat registration, trailer registration, etc
in the
same binder.

Works great, and I've never misplaced a manual.
--
John H

I kept mine in plastic sleeves inside a plastic accordion folder, with tabs
on the sleeves marked with what it contained. I had the sleeves grouped by
general category.

The folder had a flap and cord that kept things secure.

Being organized sure made the manuals easy to locate when needed.

John H

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:04:30 -0400, "*JimH*" wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The nice thing about the zippered nylon cover is that the whole thing is fairly
waterproof, and I can throw it in cuddy without worrying that anything will fall
out. Of course, if I had a boat with cabinets, etc, like any *decent* sized
boat, I wouldn't have to worry about the 'throwing around' capabilities!
--
John H

*JimH*

"John H" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:04:30 -0400, "*JimH*" wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

We had ours kept in a closet in the cabin (believe it or not it was a cedar
lined closet) and I was concerned about water protection, although the
folder was thrown around a bit while being used. ;-)

I also kept a log (recording hours and maintenance tasks) and receipts of
all maintenance done on all the boats I owned. The log also included a
diary of our travels and time on the boat.

Being organized such as this is actually a good selling tool and provides
proof on how the boat was maintained.

William Andersen

I keep my manuals in an almost waterproof zippered case, about the size of a
computer case. It was less than $10 at Big 5. There are several divided
spaces protected by a zipper. It closes with a flap that goes over the top
and latches on the front. The flap has a zippered pocket that's easy to get
to because it's on the front of the case. I keep all my manuals in
waterproof pouches inside the bag, along with my NavRules, Light List and
plotting tools. (I keep my chart at the helm.)
The case makes it easy for me to take everything with me (questions always
come up when I'm on the water), and I can take it home just as easily.
I'm a trailer boater: I have a fanny pack for the boat keys and a fishing
license display wallet. The wallet has several windows in it, so I keep my
fishing license, boat and trailer licenses in it, along with a BoatUS card
(just in case) and spare change and bills (just in case). The fanny pack is
always in my tow vehicle, and I take it on the boat.

"John H" wrote in message
[...]

Don White

John H wrote:
snip
I found the binder in a trash can at school, but they are available
where ever school
supplies are sold.

snip

You goin' through the trash at the high school? I suppose at .05 refund
per bottle, there's lots of gold in them trashcans.
John H

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 02:42:51 GMT, Don White wrote:

John H wrote:
snip
I found the binder in a trash can at school, but they are available
where ever school
supplies are sold.

snip

You goin' through the trash at the high school? I suppose at .05 refund
per bottle, there's lots of gold in them trashcans.

If I see something useable in the trash, I'm not too proud to put it to use.
--
John H