HankCoen

Default Ramp Manners

The other day I was waiting to get my boat on to the ramp to leave. there
was a lot of boaters going in and out. as I waited my turn. this guy sees me
waiting as he is putting his boat on the trailer. He starts to crank faster
gets the boat up and pulls up the ramp a bit. I bring my boat on to the ramp
and head to get my truck so I can get it out of the next guys way. AND I
CANT GET DOWN THE RAMP. Mr. nice guy got out of the way quickly for me but
then decides to do all his buttoning down and putting all his gear away
while he is in the middle of the ramp, what an ass. I had to just say this
in case there are still other butt heads out there that don't know enough to
pull up off the ramp and then put their stuff away and tighten down the
boat. OTHERS NEED THE RAMP ALSO! GET IT YOU PEOPLE!

Mark

The biggest problem we have in Tennessee is people on jet ski's. They stay
at the ramp area and show off for thier friends. The water gets so choppy it
makes it dificult to load your boat.

"HankCoen" wrote in message
[...]

William Smith

Hello everyone,
I just started reading this newsgroup, so newbie here. We boat in the
mostly in the summer time. We do alot of motorcycle riding also, thats what
the undersigned means. 22' Mariah for the lakes. Just a fun boat.
In regards to this thread we have the same problem here in California. I
just watch, shake my head and laugh pretty noticable. They finally get the
hint and apologize. No sense on the boat ramps at all!!
Hope to be talking to some of you in the future!

--
Bill & Debbie
04 -- Yam TTR125 (Electric Start)
"HankCoen" wrote in message
[...]

This just came across my desk. It's a press release from BoatUS, with a
few very specific reminders about boat ramp protocol.

NEWS From BoatU.S.
Boat Owners Association of The United States
880 S. Pickett St., Alexandria, VA 22304
BoatU.S. News Room at http://www.BoatUS.com/news/releases.asp

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press Contact: Scott Croft, 703-461-2864,
Date: June 22, 2005

BOATU.S.' TOP TEN TIPS ON HOW TO AVOID STRESS, STARES AND
HONKING HORNS AT THE LAUNCH RAMP

When launching your vessel at a boat ramp, does it seem like the whole
world is watching your every move? In the June 2005 issue of BoatU.S.
Trailering magazine, Chapman's Boating Etiquette author Pat Piper
offers ten tips for happier boating:

1. Prior to backing down the ramp have everything that needs to be
transferred from the tow vehicle placed in the boat. Trailer boaters
who wait until their vessel is in the water cause delays and get nasty
stares.

2. Concrete and fiberglass don't mix. Unhook the boat from the
winch after the vessel is in the water, not before. Once your boat is
splashed, have your crew secure it to the dock while you park your tow
vehicle and trailer, leaving the ramp open for the next launch.

3. Don't make others wait while you're having a discussion with your
crew on where to go or else those waiting in line behind you will
happily offer suggestions.

4. Offer assistance if someone needs help. If you have never backed
down a ramp, practice in a large parking lot prior to launching.

5. If you're on the ramp and would like help, be succinct. This is
not the time to ask questions about bleeding the brakes or to debate
the advantages of bias ply tires.

6. Trailer parking spaces are for tow vehicles and trailers only.
Guests should park elsewhere.

7. Get into a routine at the ramp and use a checklist. It will make
your life easier.

8. When returning to a ramp, drop off the person who will get the
tow vehicle and trailer from the parking lot first and wait for them in
an out-of-the-way location while they retrieve the vehicle.

9. Once the boat is on the trailer, secure safety chain to the bow
eye and move up the ramp. Secure the remaining tie downs and transfer
stuff back to the tow vehicle when you get to the parking lot - not on
the ramp.

10. If you'd like to talk to other boaters about launch ramp
etiquette, your experiences at boat ramps or other boating related
issues, go to the messages boards at BoatUS.com.

BoatU.S. - Boat Owners Association of The United States - is the
nation's leading advocate for recreational boaters providing its
600,000 members with a wide array of consumer services including a
group-rate marine insurance program that insures over 240,000 vessels;
the largest fleet of more than 500 towing assistance vessels; discounts
on fuel, slips, and repairs at over 800 Cooperating Marinas; boat
financing; and a subscription to BoatU.S. Magazine, the most widely
read boating publication in the U.S. For membership information visit
http://www.BoatUS.com or call 800-395-2628.

###

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:59:36 GMT, "HankCoen"
wrote:

The other day I was waiting to get my boat on to the ramp to leave. there
was a lot of boaters going in and out. as I waited my turn. this guy sees me
waiting as he is putting his boat on the trailer. He starts to crank faster
gets the boat up and pulls up the ramp a bit. I bring my boat on to the ramp
and head to get my truck so I can get it out of the next guys way. AND I
CANT GET DOWN THE RAMP. Mr. nice guy got out of the way quickly for me but
then decides to do all his buttoning down and putting all his gear away
while he is in the middle of the ramp, what an ass. I had to just say this
in case there are still other butt heads out there that don't know enough to
pull up off the ramp and then put their stuff away and tighten down the
boat. OTHERS NEED THE RAMP ALSO! GET IT YOU PEOPLE!

Being an individual who has two trailered boats, I get to see it all.

1 - Truck rolling down the ramp into the water with the boat still
hooked to the trailer.

2 - Car spinning it's wheels so fast that the drive's side blew out
while trying to recover a 20 foot Bayliner.

3 - Boat being driven onto a trailer - goosed throttle - boat launches
itself into the bed of the pickup.

4 - A pair of older kids with jet skis playing at the ramp causing
problems - beached their jet skis to go to the powder room - guy pulls
up with his truck, hooks both jet skis to the hitch, pulled them out
of the water, up the ramp and right onto the parking lot and left them
there.

5 - (Actually, my favorite story) beached jet ski after raising hell
at the ramp - ****ed off boater guy pulls out his 9mm Glock and put
full 13 rounds into the jet ski.

6 - Three jet skis towed out into the middle of the lake and left
there.

Oh, I could go on and on and..... :)
Shortwave Sportfishing

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:25:35 -0400, "
wrote:

Forget all the unimportant facts, are you a commie pinko fag democrat or a
slimy self centered republican?

You forgot gutless independent.
Peter Aitken

"HankCoen" wrote in message
[...]

You should have gone down and politely asked him to move, expaining why.

--
Peter Aitken

Stanley

Sounds like Wantagh, New York (Long Island)
Most rudest people on earth, cant drive for sh*t, and proud to pay one of
hetaxes in the country for its geo makeup

....But I can go to NYC anytime!!!

Wait till their house prices burst! It will happen here first or second!

And I just cant wait!

HAHAHHA

A**holes!