Dave Baker

Default Anyone shipped a boat to the UK?

Has anyone out there purchased a boat in the U.S and then shipped it
to the U.K? I live in England and am currently looking into buying my
first boat, some sort of 17-18ft bowrider. After a bit of research I
discovered that the Maxum 1800MX, for example, is about 14000 pounds
here but only about 14000 dollars in the US - that's equivalent to
£7-£8K!!!! It's not fair! - Hence my question.

If anyone has done this before, I'd be interested to here of any
problems, unforseen expenses etc.

Thanks, Dave Baker.
Marshall Banana

Also Sprach Dave Baker :
Has anyone out there purchased a boat in the U.S and then shipped it
to the U.K? I live in England and am currently looking into buying my
first boat, some sort of 17-18ft bowrider. After a bit of research I
discovered that the Maxum 1800MX, for example, is about 14000 pounds
here but only about 14000 dollars in the US - that's equivalent to
=A37-=A38K!!!! It's not fair! - Hence my question.

If anyone has done this before, I'd be interested to here of any
problems, unforseen expenses etc.

So long as it fits in a standard sized shipping container (8 feet wide by=20
, it shouldn't be to difficult. I'd imagine an 18 foot bowrider should
fit with no special effort as this guy:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/cet...ceaPage75.html

shipped a 21 foot Boston Whaler to Austrailia in a container.

Sorry, no personal experiance with costs... but make sure you aren't
going to have to pay a whole bunch of tax when importing it!

Dan

--=20
The Boy Scouts are supposed to be compassionate role models, not
bloodthirsty fish killers!

-- PETA
Lars Johansson

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone out there purchased a boat in the U.S and then shipped it
to the U.K? I live in England and am currently looking into buying my
first boat, some sort of 17-18ft bowrider. After a bit of research I
discovered that the Maxum 1800MX, for example, is about 14000 pounds
here but only about 14000 dollars in the US - that's equivalent to
£7-£8K!!!! It's not fair! - Hence my question.

If anyone has done this before, I'd be interested to here of any
problems, unforseen expenses etc.

Thanks, Dave Baker.

I read an article on this recently:
Boats has to have a CE certificate to be sold, resold, insured, used (?) in
Europe.
The certification cannot reasonably be done after import bacause,
according to the article, the US manufacturers does not provide the
information
needed.
/Lars J

Chris Newport

On Monday 10 May 2004 11:47 am in rec.boats Lars Johansson wrote:

I read an article on this recently:
Boats has to have a CE certificate to be sold, resold, insured, used (?)
in Europe.
The certification cannot reasonably be done after import bacause,
according to the article, the US manufacturers does not provide the
information
needed.

Many USA manufacturers have a European version of their products which
meets the requirements. You just need to make sure that you get the
correct version with all of the required paperwork. This means that you
will need to deal direct with the manufacturer who might want to sell
only through approved dealers.

If the UK dealer is too expensive it is probably worth shopping
around dealers in other EU countries.

--
My real address is crn (at) netunix (dot) com
WARNING all messages containing attachments or html will be silently

OT Hanoi John Kerry Christopher Robin General 34 March 29th 04 01:13 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM