Sylvester Sullivan

Default Difference between OMC conventional outboard and the seadrive

Hi. I purchased a '80s Johnson outboard last year that doesn't seem
to match up with the production models produced during that time
period. Someone suggested that perhaps this is an OMC seadrive. The
engine has new paint and markings on it so I have nothing to go by as
far as appearence goes. I can tell you that my engine is about 120hp,
VRO, twin power packs, and power tilt/trim which is pretty much
useless without the relay box.

Can anyone tell me what that differences are between the seadrives and
the plain old outboards? I know they're not measuring in horsepower.
I also heard that the seadrive allows "full transom" use. How would
it do that without either a super long shaft or a jack plate?

Oh, one other thing I wanted to ask. Does the seadrive use the
conventional trim/tilt relay box? It seems my outboard, which has
power trim/tilt, has no power relays anywhere to be found. I figure
either the guy who sold me the motor left the relays out or perhaps
I'm looking in the wrong places. Does the seadrive used the exposed
relays on a bracket technique or are the relays enclosed in a box, and
where is it installed on the powerhead? It looks as though there some
room on the port, midsection of the powerhead under the cowling. I've
also noticed some threaded mounting holes there as though something is
missing and needs to be bolted there.

Please, if you know of any web sites with pictues of these motors,
please post them here.

Thanks,
Syl
Marshall Banana

Also Sprach Sylvester Sullivan :
Hi. I purchased a '80s Johnson outboard last year that doesn't seem
to match up with the production models produced during that time
period. Someone suggested that perhaps this is an OMC seadrive. The
engine has new paint and markings on it so I have nothing to go by as
far as appearence goes. I can tell you that my engine is about 120hp,
VRO, twin power packs, and power tilt/trim which is pretty much
useless without the relay box.

There is an aluminum core plug pressed into the cylinder housing. It
should have the model number stamped into it. If you post that, we can
tell you more.

Can anyone tell me what that differences are between the seadrives and
the plain old outboards? I know they're not measuring in horsepower.
I also heard that the seadrive allows "full transom" use. How would
it do that without either a super long shaft or a jack plate?

The Sea Drive was basically an outboard with a setback bracket built
in. It was designed to be bolted to the back of a full-height transom.
Looked like this:

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imag..._985422_F1.jpg

Dan

--

COTS / Grimstari - Separating the "Crazy, haha" from the "Crazy, ohoh"

--BHZ

Sylvester Sullivan

Alright! Thanks Dan. That link shows a picture explaining the "full
transom" concept. My engine is not likely to be a seadrive unless the
mounting bracket was replaced.

The welsh plug you talked about is blank on my motor. There is a
number stamped on the engine block near the flywheel. It's barely
readable but I'll try to get it. I'm going to take a bunch of
pictures of the engine and post them on a web site along with whatever
numbers I can find.

Thanks for the link to that picture.

Regards,
Syl