Mark

Default Which boat would you buy?

Guys,

I am in the market for a 24 foot Mid-Cabin Cruiser that can sleep my wife
and 2 children.

I am thinking of buying a 2000 Rinker 242 Fiesta Vee. Its in absolute mint
condition, with 60 hours on a Bravo III, Dual SS Prop, Fuel Injected,
MerCruiser. It loaded with every option, including Air Conditioning.

I have been boating for about 8 years now and within those 8 years I have
only owned SeaRay. First was a 19 foot bowrider and then was a 23 foot
bowrider. Both of these boats offered me ZERO trouble and ZERO dollars out
of my pocket - I was VERY happy with both of them.

I was looking at the SeaRay 240 Sundancer (1999 to 2000) and I love pretty
much everything about it - except the price.

Now here is my question. Will I be as happy with a Rinker 242 vs a SeaRay
240 Sundancer? I used to think that SeaRay offered the nicest interiors, the
prettiest seating, the more "plush" wood dash boards...UNTIL I saw this
Rinker. It offers so much more boat for LESS money.

Here is a small list of what the Rinker offers over the SeaRay (when in the
same price range):

* Bravo III drive
* Fuel Injection
* Dual SS Props
* Microwave (standard)
* Stove (standard)
* Full Head w/ sink & shower (standard)
* Wood Steering Wheel & Dash
* VHF Radio (standard)
* More seating / Covertible seating
* Full Camper Canvas (standard)
* Cockpit Table (standard)

Any opinions will be most appreciated. Anyone that owns a Rinker 242 -
please reply.

Thanks,

Mayor

Al Hartkopf

No doubt the list looks appealing. A lot of them are add-ons that are
replaceable. Some are not.
Having owned SeaRay, you have to ask yourself, "Is the Rinker a better value for
money? How much money will I get out when I sell it (as a percentage)? and Is it
built and will it perform and have the same safety as the Ray?"
It's not about options for me. It's the hull, materials, and the craftsmanship.
Is there plywood in the Rinker where there is King StarBoard or polyethylene in
the Ray? Does the floor flex? How is the hull to deck joint done? (Screws and
glue or bolts and glue or is is glassed together) Does the sound dampening
absorb water or repel it? One giveaway for me is the grade of the port
fasteners. Will the cut you if you brush against them wrong? Is the electrical
run in conduit where it is not spiral wrapped or is it sort of stuck up in a
crevass with some nondecript fastener? Does the motorbox come out without
loosening a screw? It does on the Ray.
I'm sure I looked at the same model Rinker at last fall boat show, but I don't
remember. I can't tell you. I've looked at a lot of boats from a lot of
manufacturers, but this puppy's all yours.
Al
North Carolina

Mark wrote:

[...]

Coff

"Mark" wrote in message ...
[...]

The counter-rotating props are a BIG handling advantage with a single
I/O. I doubt, however, that your helm and wheel are wood... Plood,
but not wood.

Good luck!

Coff

OT Hanoi John Kerry Christopher Robin General 34 March 29th 04 01:13 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM