Fred the Red Shirt

Default hydrofoils and choppy waters

Do hydrofoils give a speedboat a smoother ride? I don't mean the
kind that just serve to get the boat up on plane faster, I mean
the kind on the ends of struts so that when cruising only the
foils and the props are in the water.

--

FF
RichG

I rode in a BIG hydrofoil in Hawaii some years ago. We went from the airport
to Maui by boat. It was VERY smooth all of the way. We heard that the boat
following ours broke down at sea and everyone was sea sick wallowing in the
waves. Of course, that is not a fair comparison to a V hulled boat when
under way..but...

I believe that hydrofoils are smoother than V shaped hulls when under way.
RichG
--
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Calif Bill

"RichG" wrote in message
m...
I rode in a BIG hydrofoil in Hawaii some years ago. We went from the

airport
to Maui by boat. It was VERY smooth all of the way. We heard that the boat
following ours broke down at sea and everyone was sea sick wallowing in

the
waves. Of course, that is not a fair comparison to a V hulled boat when
under way..but...

I believe that hydrofoils are smoother than V shaped hulls when under

way.
RichG
--
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Somewhat the same experience in Sidney harbor. They run a hydrofoil from
Circular quay to Manley Beach. Did give an odd sensation and would slowly
rock side to side. Gave the feeling that the boat was slightly unstable,
and sort of chine walking. I don't know of any big hydrofoil boats anymore.
Most are big catamarans. Better carrying capacity and cheaper to run. The
fast ferry from Barcelona to Majorrca is 97 meters and runs 47 knots. We
did slow down coming back as there were some 10' seas. The whole ship would
shudder when it hit a real big wave. 150 miles going 3.5 hours, returning
4.25 hours. This is a ship with capacity for 800 passengers and 300 cars
and some semi's.
Bill