BoatBanter.com

-   -   Beautiful day on the Bay (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/4136-beautiful-day-bay.html)

John H April 16th 04 06:21 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

Finally! Gorgeous weather, no sub job today, marina says it's ready for
business, so the boat went in the water for the first time this year. The engine
started, ran well, the electronics worked, all seemed well. The lower unit was
trimmed in an upright position and wouldn't go back down, but as soon as I
accelerated a little the trim started working. Must have been a little stuck
from lack of activity.

Went out a couple miles, cruised past another boat doing some trolling for
'catch and release' stripers, and watched him haul in a nice sized (about 36")
striper just as I came along side. That has got to be a good omen!

Can't wait for Monday! That'll be the first day with lines in the water.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Henry Blackmoore April 17th 04 12:35 AM

Beautiful day on the Bay

In article , John H wrote:

Finally! Gorgeous weather, no sub job today, marina says it's ready for
business, so the boat went in the water for the first time this year. The
engine
started, ran well, the electronics worked, all seemed well. The lower unit was
trimmed in an upright position and wouldn't go back down, but as soon as I
accelerated a little the trim started working. Must have been a little stuck
from lack of activity.

I try to "exercise" my tilt and trim a little bit everytime I go to my storage
barn. I heard that it helps rather than just letting it sit during the off
season. Any leakage?

Went out a couple miles, cruised past another boat doing some trolling for
'catch and release' stripers, and watched him haul in a nice sized (about 36")
striper just as I came along side. That has got to be a good omen!

Awesome!

Can't wait for Monday! That'll be the first day with lines in the water.

I can't believe you didn't wet a line already!
:^)

John H April 17th 04 01:55 AM

Beautiful day on the Bay

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:35:41 GMT, (Henry Blackmoore) wrote:

In article , John H wrote:

[...]

Nope, didn't wet anything. I don't like catching and releasing. Don't think it's
good for the fish, but lots of folks disagree with me. That's their right. I've
never seen a fish caught while trolling that was gut hooked, so maybe they do
stand a pretty good chance of staying alive. But, for sure they will be a little
bit smarter next time a lure comes by, no? I think their smart enough without
giving them more reason to shy away from pretty lures!

I like to go out, get my two fish in the cooler, and then go home and eat 'em.

This is the first time I've had a problem with the trim. My boat is kept in a
boatel, three tiers up, so I can't get to it during the winter. Next year I may
try putting a little oil on the pistons and working them up and down before
putting the boat up.

Hell, maybe by next year Harry will give me his Parker. If I had a nice big
lobsta boat I'd probably give some poor ex-teacher my used Parker.

jim-- April 17th 04 01:59 AM

Beautiful day on the Bay

"John H" wrote in message
[...]

Nice story John. Glad your spring launch went well and that you had a good
day on the boat.

Good luck with the fishing on Monday!

jim-- April 17th 04 02:19 AM

Beautiful day on the Bay

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
John H wrote:
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:35:41 GMT, (Henry Blackmoore)

wrote:

In article , John H

wrote:

[...]

When and where is the custom made 36 foot lobster boat being launched for
the season and where is she docked.

Don't try to reply with a statement about me not having a boat....I know
that and explained the reasons several times to the NG.

So how about it Harry? ;-)

jim-- April 17th 04 02:36 AM

Beautiful day on the Bay

jim-- wrote:

When and where is the custom made 36 foot lobster boat being launched

for
the season and where is she docked.

Already launched, out of Solomons. Docked in the same spot she was last
year. I've posted the location of her home marina here more than once.

We were out today for about five hours, once it warmed up a little. Took
a nice boatride south past the mouth of the Pax River, and down past
Point Lookout, where the Potomac empties into the Bay.

The next few days will be good ones to stay away from the Bay, what with
the opening of striper season tomorrow. It'll look like that scene from
"Jaws" when a reward is posted for the shark.

Don't try to reply with a statement about me not having a boat....I know
that and explained the reasons several times to the NG.

Oh...you don't have a boat, right?

Were Harry Hope and Creaky invited for the initial launch? LOL!!!

Don White April 17th 04 01:17 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

John H wrote in message
Hell, maybe by next year Harry will give me his Parker. If I had a nice

big
lobsta boat I'd probably give some poor ex-teacher my used Parker.

"ex-teacher" ??? Did they give you the boot for trying to recruit 8th
graders into your army?

John H April 17th 04 01:46 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 12:17:31 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

John H wrote in message
.. .
Hell, maybe by next year Harry will give me his Parker. If I had a nice

big
lobsta boat I'd probably give some poor ex-teacher my used Parker.

"ex-teacher" ??? Did they give you the boot for trying to recruit 8th
graders into your army?

Nope. I retired.

Bert Robbins April 17th 04 02:41 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

"Don White" wrote in message

John H wrote in message
Hell, maybe by next year Harry will give me his Parker. If I had a nice

big
lobsta boat I'd probably give some poor ex-teacher my used Parker.

"ex-teacher" ??? Did they give you the boot for trying to recruit 8th
graders into your army?

At least we have a functioning army to protect ourselves and our "friends"
to the north!

Harry Krause April 17th 04 03:23 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

Don White wrote:

John H wrote in message

Hell, maybe by next year Harry will give me his Parker. If I had a nice

big

lobsta boat I'd probably give some poor ex-teacher my used Parker.

"ex-teacher" ??? Did they give you the boot for trying to recruit 8th
graders into your army?

I thought Herring said he was an occasional substitute teacher for the
Alexandria school system.

Don White April 17th 04 04:05 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

Harry Krause wrote in message
I thought Herring said he was an occasional substitute teacher for the
Alexandria school system.

Same here. That's why I wondered if he was a bit over zealous with the
'military talk' when substituting.

Don White April 17th 04 04:07 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

Bert Robbins wrote in message

At least we have a functioning army to protect ourselves and our "friends"
to the north!

Double edged sword. I hear lots of your fellow citizens lamenting that
your 'functioning army' should be used against us when we don't tow the
party line.

Harry Krause April 17th 04 06:17 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

Don White wrote:
Harry Krause wrote in message

I thought Herring said he was an occasional substitute teacher for the
Alexandria school system.

Same here. That's why I wondered if he was a bit over zealous with the
'military talk' when substituting.

He probably was doubling as a recruiter, advising young men it was their
duty to enlist and die for Presidunce Bush.

John H April 17th 04 07:00 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 15:05:07 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

Harry Krause wrote in message
I thought Herring said he was an occasional substitute teacher for the
Alexandria school system.

Same here. That's why I wondered if he was a bit over zealous with the
'military talk' when substituting.

Retired from Fairfax County Public School system. Now I substitute teach in the
school I retired from. Don't talk military. Usually talk math.

Bert Robbins April 17th 04 08:50 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Bert Robbins wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

John H wrote in message
. ..

Hell, maybe by next year Harry will give me his Parker. If I had a nice

big

lobsta boat I'd probably give some poor ex-teacher my used Parker.

"ex-teacher" ??? Did they give you the boot for trying to recruit

8th
graders into your army?

At least we have a functioning army to protect ourselves and our

"friends"
to the north!

The last time our "functioning army" defeated a serious, well-equipped,
well-led and motivated adversary was in 1945. We almost lost in Korea,
and we got our butts handed to us in Vietnam. And let's not bring up
that tired old b.s. about how the hands of our troops were "tied" in
Vietnam. We did everything we were capable of doing over there, short of
dropping nukes.

We should have listened to Gen. Patton and Gen McAurther when they wanted to
kick the commies butt's while our armies were in the field in Europe and
Korea respectively. But, the political leaders were too afraid of upsetting
the commies. Are you saying that Johnson's Tuesday targeting lunches were
the appropriate fourm for deciding tactical targets?

And, let's not forget who won the cold war. With our military weaponry in
existance and on the drawing board we caused the ruskies to crumble because
they were spending all of their wealth, if they really had any, on trying to
keep pace with us.

Further, right now, our "functioning army" (and I mean all the forces
working together) could not protect this country against a band of
dedicated terrorists armed with "non-traditional" weapons.

That's why we have the CIA and military special forces to respond to gorilla
actacks so that the perpetrators are found and killed, not put in jail but
killed.

So, sleep smugly, Bertie...and take a few more tokes of that pipe.

I will sleep sungly knowing that I put myself on the line to defend our
country from its enemies, foreign and domsetic as well as others that were
much more selfless than you could ever hope to be putting their lives on the
line to defend our country too.

Oh, and don't ascribe to me your weaknesses and failings.

Bert Robbins April 17th 04 08:52 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

"Don White" wrote in message

Bert Robbins wrote in message

At least we have a functioning army to protect ourselves and our

"friends"
to the north!

Double edged sword. I hear lots of your fellow citizens lamenting that
your 'functioning army' should be used against us when we don't tow the
party line.

Canada, the 51st state!

John H April 17th 04 09:29 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 15:50:59 -0400, "Bert Robbins" wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Bert Robbins wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

John H wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Harry, having never served in the military (don't know what his deferment was),
is very quick to find fault with same. The best way to hide shame is to lash out
at others. Although usually seen mostly in adolescents, the behavior does show
up in some 'adults'.

It's best ignored.

Harry Krause April 17th 04 10:15 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

Bert Robbins wrote:

So, sleep smugly, Bertie...and take a few more tokes of that pipe.

I will sleep sungly knowing that I put myself on the line to defend our
country from its enemies, foreign and domsetic as well as others that were
much more selfless than you could ever hope to be putting their lives on the
line to defend our country too.

That's some sentence, Bertie...

So, you put yourself on the line defending our country from...

....North Vietnamese invading Topeka?

....Panamanians invading Philadelphia?

Did you help Ollie North mine harbors and kill Central American fishermen?

Did you help our military put Iinochet in power?

Harry Krause April 17th 04 10:16 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

John H wrote:

Harry, having never served in the military (don't know what his deferment was),
is very quick to find fault with same.

Hey...it isn't my fault you were drafted and then decided to re-up.

Bert Robbins April 17th 04 10:27 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

Bert Robbins wrote:

So, sleep smugly, Bertie...and take a few more tokes of that pipe.

I will sleep sungly knowing that I put myself on the line to defend our
country from its enemies, foreign and domsetic as well as others that

were
much more selfless than you could ever hope to be putting their lives on

the
line to defend our country too.

That's some sentence, Bertie...

So, you put yourself on the line defending our country from...

...North Vietnamese invading Topeka?

...Panamanians invading Philadelphia?

Did you help Ollie North mine harbors and kill Central American fishermen?

Did you help our military put Iinochet in power?

What have you done to protect our country from our enemies? Union organizing
is being the enemy :)

jim-- April 17th 04 10:54 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

Bert Robbins wrote:

I will sleep sungly knowing that I put myself on the line to defend our
country from its enemies, foreign and domsetic as well as others that

were

much more selfless than you could ever hope to be putting their lives

on

the

line to defend our country too.

That's some sentence, Bertie...

So, you put yourself on the line defending our country from...

...North Vietnamese invading Topeka?

...Panamanians invading Philadelphia?

Did you help Ollie North mine harbors and kill Central American

fishermen?

Did you help our military put Iinochet in power?

What have you done to protect our country from our enemies? Union

organizing
is being the enemy :)

You're the one who made some bull**** claims about serving in the
military and protecting our country from unnamed enemies.

Which enemies, Bertie? Asians? Central Americans? South Americans?
Against which specific enemies did you put up your life? Were you shot
at? Were you wounded? Did you suffer a hangnail? What? Were you in one
of Bush I's brigades to make Kuwait safe for continued Moslem

dictatorship?

Cone on, Bertie...impress us with your tales of military manliness...

I would have thought you would have been working on your custom made 36 foot
lobster boat today. Instead I find you in the NG all day.

You better get going Harry. You have 2 boats to get ready for Spring
launch. Right?

LMAO!

And yes, I have no boat to get ready. So I spent the day pressure washing
the house. Tomorrow I will wash the windows and put the screens in.

Bert Robbins April 17th 04 11:10 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

Bert Robbins wrote:

[...]

USMCR from '81 to '87.

Which enemies, Bertie? Asians? Central Americans? South Americans?
Against which specific enemies did you put up your life? Were you shot
at? Were you wounded? Did you suffer a hangnail? What? Were you in one
of Bush I's brigades to make Kuwait safe for continued Moslem

dictatorship?

No I wasn't shot at nor was I in harms way. But, I was ready to go when
called.

Cone on, Bertie...impress us with your tales of military manliness...

I don't have any tales of military manliness to tell, my service was
uneventful. I don't need to puff up my experiences to make my self feel good
in the eyes of others, unlike you and your Lobsta' boat.

Don White April 17th 04 11:19 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

Bert Robbins wrote in message

Canada, the 51st state!

Bring it on..soldier boy!

jim-- April 17th 04 11:22 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

Bert Robbins wrote:

[...]

You would have thought...if you were capable of it.

The only thing I have to do to get my boats ready is to transport back
the gear I took off last fall. I pay to have everything else done.

ROTFLMAO! Right Harry.

No true boater *pays* to have his boat readied for spring launch.

Just another BS story from you.

jim-- April 17th 04 11:23 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

"Don White" wrote in message

Bert Robbins wrote in message

Canada, the 51st state!

Bring it on..soldier boy!

Wow Don, how brave you are. Are you taking lessons from 'asskisser?

jim-- April 17th 04 11:25 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

Bert Robbins wrote:

[...]

So you are not capable of getting *the boats* ready for Spring launch and
must pay others to do it for you while you sit on your ass in front of the
computer?

What a true boater you are Harry.

LOAM.

Don White April 17th 04 11:26 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

John H wrote in message

Retired from Fairfax County Public School system. Now I substitute teach

in the
school I retired from. Don't talk military. Usually talk math.

Lucky you. When I retired, in order to receive my 'package', I had to sign
a waiver saying I wouldn't work for the Corp again. Avoids 'double
dipping'...or so they say.

jim-- April 17th 04 11:27 PM

Beautiful day on the Bay

Bert Robbins wrote:

[...]

Damn spell check...it is obviously LMAO, not LOAM. ;-)

Harry Krause April 18th 04 12:04 AM

Beautiful day on the Bay

Bert Robbins wrote:

[...]

I'm capable of telling the yard what to do and capable of writing a
check to pay for it.

jim-- April 18th 04 12:18 AM

Beautiful day on the Bay

Bert Robbins wrote:

[...]

Really? That must be why at least 100 boaters with Grady-Whites and
Parkers book "recommissioning" three weeks ahead of time at the local
dealership, which stores several hundred customer boats over the winter.

I guess they are not true boaters, eh? Even though they have boats and
you do not, and we'll be boating all season and you'll be boatless.

Here's what the dealership does to ready my Parker:

Remove and dispose of the shrink wrap.
Check the trailer tires and bearings and hitch and electrical.
Charge batteries and reinstall in boat.
Tank test and adjust the engine, re-check all grease fittings. (oil was
changed last fall).
Check function on all boat mechanical and electrical systems.
Wash boat.
Wax boat.
Call me to tell me the boat is ready for pick-up.

All I have to do is show up with the fitted cushions and other stuff I
removed over the winter and sign the bill.

Easy, eh? Why do I know this? Because I'm looking at the work order
right now.

Most boaters I know take pleasure in working on their boats in the Spring.
But I guess all that work is beyond your capabilities.

Funny that you listed the work you are paying to be done on your Parker but
not your custom made 36 foot lobster boat....seems like that would be the
priority...that is, if it were a boat that you really owned.

LMAO!!

John Smith April 18th 04 12:20 AM

Beautiful day on the Bay

I'm capable of telling the yard what to do and capable of writing a
check to pay for it.

I'm wondering if you really write out a check for your imaginary boat.
Watching you in action I am beginning to believe you are so delusional that
you just might write out a check and your wife quietly tears the check up.

jim-- April 18th 04 12:21 AM

Beautiful day on the Bay

Bert Robbins wrote:

[...]

LMAO.

I'm capable of telling the yard what to do and capable of writing a
check to pay for it.

Right. LMAO!

Most boaters I know take pleasure in getting their boats ready for Spring
launch.

Harry Krause April 18th 04 12:29 AM

Beautiful day on the Bay

Bert Robbins wrote:

[...]

Yeah, it's great fun to remove and dispose of shrink wrap on a 25' boat
that's about 30' long with the pulpit and motor platform.

As for adjusting the engine, thanks, but no thanks. I don't mess with my
car engines, and I don't mess with these big, high-tech outboards.

I do have a few accessories to install.

The boat doesn't need any real work, Dennis. I maintain my boats in
perfect condition.

Funny that you listed the work you are paying to be done on your Parker but
not your custom made 36 foot lobster boat....seems like that would be the
priority...that is, if it were a boat that you really owned.

\

Not at all. I know my consistent refusal to "cave in" to you righties
and post details really annoys the hell out of you.

I store the big boat at at a very competent yard. It has a number of
first-class contractors on its premises. You call them, they take care
of it.

For the nearly 30 years my father was a boat dealer, he advertised:
We do the work, you have the fun.

Works for me.

Harry Krause April 18th 04 12:30 AM

Beautiful day on the Bay

I'm capable of telling the yard what to do and capable of writing a
check to pay for it.

I'm wondering if you really write out a check for your imaginary boat.
Watching you in action I am beginning to believe you are so delusional that
you just might write out a check and your wife quietly tears the check up.

Why would you think I give a crap about you or what you wonder?

jim-- April 18th 04 12:36 AM

Beautiful day on the Bay

Bert Robbins wrote:

[...]

ROTFLMAO!!!!

If you indeed care for you boat, you do not take the shrink wrap off and
plunk it in the water.

And most real boaters do the work themselves as they take pride in their
work and their boat.

Once again, it was certainly telling that you detailed the work you were
paying the marina to do for your small boat but did not list anything about
your custom made 36 foot lobster boat.

You are indeed a liar and a fool Harry.

jim-- April 18th 04 12:37 AM

Beautiful day on the Bay

I'm capable of telling the yard what to do and capable of writing a
check to pay for it.

I'm wondering if you really write out a check for your imaginary boat.
Watching you in action I am beginning to believe you are so delusional

that
you just might write out a check and your wife quietly tears the check

up.

Why would you think I give a crap about you or what you wonder?

Because you took the time to respond to John's post. LMAO!!!

Harry Krause April 18th 04 12:41 AM

Beautiful day on the Bay

jim-- wrote:

If you indeed care for you boat, you do not take the shrink wrap off and
plunk it in the water.

That's right, Dennis. I have the dealer recommission it. When it is
ready to go, he calls me. Nice, eh?

And most real boaters do the work themselves as they take pride in their
work and their boat.

You don't even own a boat, Dennis. Time for you to move on.

Once again, it was certainly telling that you detailed the work you were
paying the marina to do for your small boat but did not list anything about
your custom made 36 foot lobster boat.

It's fun so long as asswipes like you try to make an issue out of it.
Why is it in my interest to provide you with any information I don't
feel like providing?
Answer: it isn't.

Meanwhile, Dennis, you have NO boat. And aren't likely to get one, either.

Tough, eh?

Harry Krause April 18th 04 12:42 AM

Beautiful day on the Bay

I'm capable of telling the yard what to do and capable of writing a
check to pay for it.

I'm wondering if you really write out a check for your imaginary boat.
Watching you in action I am beginning to believe you are so delusional

that

you just might write out a check and your wife quietly tears the check

up.

Why would you think I give a crap about you or what you wonder?

Because you took the time to respond to John's post. LMAO!!!

You think that proves something, eh? Simple-minded fool.

jim-- April 18th 04 12:49 AM

Beautiful day on the Bay

jim-- wrote:

[...]

Not at all. So what makes you think I am not likely to ever own a boat
again?

When I do I will take pride in caring for her throughout the season as I
always have. I will not have a marina or dealer do my pre launch work as I
know I can do it better and take pride in doing do.

Do what you want Harry. I know now you don't own a boat, even the little
Parker....it is someone else's.

Have you ever owned a boat in your life? LOL!!!

How is Creaky doing these days? And how about Harry Hope?

You are too funny Harry. You and 'asskisser deserve each other.