sue sanchez

Default west wight potter 15 outboard choice?

I have a 20 year old West Wight Potter I'm restoring.

Can I use an outboard designed for a 15" transom such as
"http://shakyparts.com/briggs_stratton_outboard_motor.html" or do I
need a longer shaft?

Here in California, all outboards used on State or Water District
lakes must be CARB approved. This eliminates all carbed and all 2
stroke outboards. Most small outboards that are CARB approved are over
$1000. The B&S referenced above can be had new for about $600

Thanks in advance!
Calif Bill

"sue sanchez" wrote in message
om...
I have a 20 year old West Wight Potter I'm restoring.

Can I use an outboard designed for a 15" transom such as
"http://shakyparts.com/briggs_stratton_outboard_motor.html" or do I
need a longer shaft?

Here in California, all outboards used on State or Water District
lakes must be CARB approved. This eliminates all carbed and all 2
stroke outboards. Most small outboards that are CARB approved are over
$1000. The B&S referenced above can be had new for about $600

Thanks in advance!

Not all lakes require CARB motors. Just some water district lakes.
Oroville, and Don Pedro, Shasta, etc have no restrictions. I think SoCal
has more restricted lakes.

Jim

I'd say the short shaft is right, and a 5 horse is the largest engine
I'd consider. The outboard you refer to is air cooled, noisy, and a bad
choice for reliability.

Take a hard look at the purpose of having an engine, and how fast you
are actually going to go, then consider all options, 3 horse, electric
trolling motor, an oar...

I saw a nice used 1995 4 horse Johnson 2 stroke with intregal fuel tank
for $550 when I took my dinghy's outboard for it's recent service. That
would be my choice (the oar is a close second).
Jim

Calif Bill wrote:

"sue sanchez" wrote in message
om...

I have a 20 year old West Wight Potter I'm restoring.

Can I use an outboard designed for a 15" transom such as
"http://shakyparts.com/briggs_stratton_outboard_motor.html" or do I
need a longer shaft?

Here in California, all outboards used on State or Water District
lakes must be CARB approved. This eliminates all carbed and all 2
stroke outboards. Most small outboards that are CARB approved are over
$1000. The B&S referenced above can be had new for about $600

Thanks in advance!

Not all lakes require CARB motors. Just some water district lakes.
Oroville, and Don Pedro, Shasta, etc have no restrictions. I think SoCal
has more restricted lakes.

Don White

How about a nice 4hp / 4 stroke Yamaha? Do you have to worry about
recharging a battery while underway?