BoatBanter.com

-   -   Recommend a good watch (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/405-recommend-good-watch.html)

Ignoramus31468 July 28th 03 05:39 PM

Recommend a good watch

My old POS "titanium" (read base metal covered with 0.0001" of
titanium coating) finally died and I am NOT missing it. It was all
pitted from my sweat. Disgusting.

So, what I am looking for now is a:

1) stainless steel watch
2) luminescent dial and hands
3) with calendar, stopwatch etc
4) very water resistant
5) very abuse resistant (I do a lot of mechanical type works etc)
6) accurate
7) not too expensive. I want functionality and not prestige.

Any suggestions? I can go with analog or electronic display, I am not
too sure what is my preference.

thanks

Doug Kanter July 28th 03 06:18 PM

Recommend a good watch

Take a look at a model # TA45437 at www.llbean.com. I've had mine for 3
years. I beat the crap out of it and it's been fine. Under $200.00. And,
that company takes REAL good care of customers, in case you have problems
with the product.
-Doug

a.com...

Tammy Bush July 28th 03 06:40 PM

Recommend a good watch

timex. takes a lickin, keeps on tickin.
I saw one ov tv that was on a boat propeller

John Gaquin July 28th 03 11:13 PM

Recommend a good watch

"Tammy Bush" Tammy wrote in message
timex. takes a lickin, keeps on tickin.
I saw one ov tv that was on a boat propeller

I don't know who makes Timex now, but I agree with Tammy in principle. I
still wear a Timex that cost me $12 in 1981. Used to check it regularly
against WWV when I was still flying, and it never drifted more than about 2
sec per month.

JG

JohnH July 29th 03 02:00 AM

Recommend a good watch

Swiss military, about $120 at Costco.

On 28 Jul 2003 16:39:18 GMT, Ignoramus31468
wrote:

My old POS "titanium" (read base metal covered with 0.0001" of
titanium coating) finally died and I am NOT missing it. It was all
pitted from my sweat. Disgusting.

So, what I am looking for now is a:

1) stainless steel watch
2) luminescent dial and hands
3) with calendar, stopwatch etc
4) very water resistant
5) very abuse resistant (I do a lot of mechanical type works etc)
6) accurate
7) not too expensive. I want functionality and not prestige.

Any suggestions? I can go with analog or electronic display, I am not
too sure what is my preference.

thanks

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

basskisser July 29th 03 05:11 PM

Recommend a good watch

"John Gaquin" wrote in message ...
"Tammy Bush" Tammy wrote in message
timex. takes a lickin, keeps on tickin.
I saw one ov tv that was on a boat propeller

I don't know who makes Timex now, but I agree with Tammy in principle. I
still wear a Timex that cost me $12 in 1981. Used to check it regularly
against WWV when I was still flying, and it never drifted more than about 2
sec per month.

JG

I've got the electronic Indiglo from Timex. It's a great watch. I got
p.v.c. cement on the crystal, and am going to buy another just like
it.

Don White July 30th 03 12:43 AM

Recommend a good watch

I wouldn't give up on Titanium too quick. You have to buy a good watch.
My wife gave me a Swiss Army Titanium (Victorinox...not Wenger) Christmas
1999.
My old Lorus watch ran fine but my skin reacted with the base metal case.
The case was all pitted and my arm would breakout in a rash. I needed
something hypoallergenic.
The watch cost 600.00 loonies and I saw them advertized stateside for 500.00
yankee dollars.
If I lived in the states, I'd order a Luminox ' Navy Seal' watch. Gotta love
those little light dots that burn for 10 years.

Pjparty October 12th 05 05:41 PM

Try the Avier Triton diver, mine keeps within a couple of seconds a day. The luminescence on the dial markers and hands is superluminova, the dial has this nice reflective metal finish. It has a date function, but no chronograph function. Mine takes a lot of abuse, but it uses ETAs 2824 movement which is very solid. Its only rated to 200 meters, but it has a really nice display back. It retails at $695, not a big price when you consider most swiss divers retail over $1000.

I also like the screwed links, I didn't have to go to anyone to get it sized, I just used my eyeglass screwdriver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignoramus31468

Don White October 12th 05 08:25 PM

Recommend a good watch

Ignoramus31468 Wrote:

My old POS "titanium" (read base metal covered with 0.0001" of
titanium coating) finally died and I am NOT missing it. It was all
pitted from my sweat. Disgusting.

So, what I am looking for now is a:

1) stainless steel watch
2) luminescent dial and hands
3) with calendar, stopwatch etc
4) very water resistant
5) very abuse resistant (I do a lot of mechanical type works etc)
6) accurate
7) not too expensive. I want functionality and not prestige.

Any suggestions? I can go with analog or electronic display, I am not
too sure what is my preference.

thanks

Nothing wrong with titanium..if you buy a good quality solid titanium
block and wrist strap.
My wife paid $695.00 CDN for a Victorianox Swiss Army Titanium watch 6
years ago. I used to pit my watch & my arm from alergies (nickelitis?)
but since I got this watch...no problem.
Supposed to good for 300 feet and has the rotating bezel to keep track
of time.

Don White October 12th 05 08:46 PM

Recommend a good watch

Harry Krause wrote:

Is around $200 not too expensive? If that's ok, check out the Luminox
(Navy Seal) watches. I've had one for about 10 years, and it is very
reliable and accurate. I've been diving and snorkeling with it, too.
About every 18 months, I have a watchmaker replace the battery. I
believe there are stopwatch models. Mine has a calendar only.

I was checking out those navy Seals watches a while ago. If I found a
place that sold them locally, I'd probably buy one for the boys..or the
wife.

PocoLoco October 12th 05 09:10 PM

Recommend a good watch

Ignoramus31468 Wrote:

[...]

Victorinox makes a good watch. I paid about $200 for mine (stainless), wear it
constantly, both in and out of water. Put a new battery in it whenever a
birthday rolls around.

--
John H

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so."

Ronald Reagan

Bill McKee October 13th 05 01:30 AM

Recommend a good watch

"Don White" wrote in message
Pjparty wrote:
[...]

My Skagen solid Titanium was about $100 on sale at Macy's. Is not a dive
watch, but I wear it snorkeling. And it is a very comfortable watch to wear
as the solid Titanium watch and band weigh very little.

*JimH* October 13th 05 01:41 AM

Recommend a good watch

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
link.net...

"Don White" wrote in message
Pjparty wrote:
[...]

I have not worn a watch for over 5 years. My cell phone is all I need if I
need to check the time. Prior to cell phones showing time I only wore one
while on business, never while on vacation or on the boat. After all what
kind of *get away* is it if you have to worry about time?

PocoLoco October 13th 05 02:15 AM

Recommend a good watch

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:41:45 -0400, " *JimH*" wrote:

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Don White" wrote in message
Pjparty wrote:
[...]

To determine the time of water movement with the tides.

*JimH* October 13th 05 02:20 AM

Recommend a good watch

"PocoLoco" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:41:45 -0400, " *JimH*" wrote:

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
thlink.net...

"Don White" wrote in message
Pjparty wrote:
[...]

Fair enough. So what does your $200 watch do for you that your cell phone
or boat stereo cannot?

*JimH* October 13th 05 02:23 AM

Recommend a good watch

" *JimH*" wrote in message
. ..

"PocoLoco" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:41:45 -0400, " *JimH*" wrote:

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

"Don White" wrote in message
Pjparty wrote:
[...]

Clarification: Most boat stereo systems shows the time on the faceplate
display.

Dan Krueger October 13th 05 02:29 AM

Recommend a good watch

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:20:57 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

The GPS on Yo Ho has a clock, of course, but it's never set to the right
time of day, because I don't bother to correct it when I flip on the
battery switches

Um - wouldn't the GPS pick up the UTC time from the satellite and
convert it using the local offset you input when you first set it up?

Just curious.

That's correct. Any decent GPS will store your basic info including
your offset with, or without, normal power. I fired up my old Garmin
GPS 12 with new batteries after a long "vacation" and it still had the
basic presets in memory.

Dan

Starbucker October 13th 05 03:24 AM

Recommend a good watch

Harry,
If you actually used your boat or a GPS you would have realized the GPS has
a built in clock.

You must keep your GPS on your Lobster Boat along with the DR. DR. wife.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
*JimH* wrote:
"Bill McKee" wrote in message
link.net...
"Don White" wrote in message
Pjparty wrote:
[...]

How revealing, though I suppose if your boating consists of hugging the
shoreline on inland waters, looking for a place to swim, you can skip the
watch.

I always wear a watch when I boat, but I rarely bother with my cell phone.
If I'm fishing and having luck (or no luck), I want to enter the
information in my log, and that information includes the time of day. The
GPS on Yo Ho has a clock, of course, but it's never set to the right time
of day, because I don't bother to correct it when I flip on the battery
switches.

I had a feeling you weren't much of a boater.

Bill McKee October 13th 05 03:40 AM

Recommend a good watch

" *JimH*" wrote in message

" *JimH*" wrote in message
. ..

"PocoLoco" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:41:45 -0400, " *JimH*" wrote:

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
arthlink.net...

"Don White" wrote in message
Pjparty wrote:
[...]

My stereo radio in the boat loses all it's settings when I shut off the
batteries. As to wearing a watch, only at times. When traveling via
airplanes and trains I want to know the time, and most of the times when I
do that, I am out of the USA and my cell phone is not with me. I use the
GPS on the boat for the time while boating.

Bill McKee October 13th 05 03:42 AM

Recommend a good watch

My Garmin plotter gives me the local time of day. I think it knows where
you are from the lat / lon and uses that number.

wrote:

The GPS on Yo Ho has a clock, of course, but it's never set to the right
time of day, because I don't bother to correct it when I flip on the
battery switches

Um - wouldn't the GPS pick up the UTC time from the satellite and
convert it using the local offset you input when you first set it up?

Just curious.

No, for some reason it doesn't "hold" the offset, or it didn't when I
tried that a few years ago. I suppose I could try again, assuming I did
something wrong when first setting it up. But I do recall that I tried it
a couple of times, it didn't hold, and I gave up on that feature.

Oh...another reason: I rarely use the GPS chartplotter on Yo-Ho these
days. I know all the throttle-trim settings I need now, and most of my
fishing is at locations I arrive at by "sight," or where my fishfinder
indicates "activity." There's not a lot of bottom structure to look for in
Chesapeake Bay, so keying in exact points is not really necessary in order
to find fish. As an example, if I head straight across the Bay from my
usual starting point, I know that as soon as the depth finder indicates a
particular drop-off on the "other side," I've reached flounder territory,
and I need to follow that drop off north and south.

On my trip to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, a run of about 115 miles,
I simply stayed in the middle of the Bay and navigated by sight. You've
been down here, right? Most places you can see both shores of the Bay as
you head north or south.

The watch is important. There are a couple of spots where tidal data is
significant for fishing.

Bert Robbins October 13th 05 04:41 AM

Recommend a good watch

wrote:

The GPS on Yo Ho has a clock, of course, but it's never set to the right
time of day, because I don't bother to correct it when I flip on the
battery switches

Um - wouldn't the GPS pick up the UTC time from the satellite and
convert it using the local offset you input when you first set it up?

Just curious.

Modern technology is not Harry's strong point.

Netsock October 13th 05 06:19 PM

Recommend a good watch

ink.net...

wrote:

The GPS on Yo Ho has a clock, of course, but it's never set to the right
time of day, because I don't bother to correct it when I flip on the
battery switches

ROTFLMAO!

Um - wouldn't the GPS pick up the UTC time from the satellite and
convert it using the local offset you input when you first set it up?

Yes.

That's correct. Any decent GPS will store your basic info including
your offset with, or without, normal power.

Yes. It writes the data to NVRAM...forever keeping its time zone, unless
changed manually.

I fired up my old Garmin
GPS 12 with new batteries after a long "vacation" and it still had the
basic presets in memory.

As any modern GPS will.

This is just another lie from our village idiot...ignore the boatless twit.

After all, this is the clown who sets his boat trim, based on his GPS's
hundredths of a MPH reading! LOL!

The final question now is, will the liar post a reply with some hair-brained
excuse, or just ignore the rest of the thread...as he has done many, many
times... :)

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/

Netsock October 13th 05 06:31 PM

Recommend a good watch

" *JimH*" wrote in message
. ..

"PocoLoco" wrote in message

To determine the time of water movement with the tides.

--
John H

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's
just that they know so much that isn't so."

Ronald Reagan

Fair enough. So what does your $200 watch do for you that your cell phone
or boat stereo cannot?

My oldest daughter bought me this neat little Nike watch, that had tide data
stored in it. You could pick from hundreds beaches or locations, and it had
this neat little LCD graph on the bottom showing exactly where the tide was,
and whether coming in or out. Worked perfectly, and was very inexpensive
too.

NOYB October 13th 05 07:05 PM

Recommend a good watch

wrote:

The GPS on Yo Ho has a clock, of course, but it's never set to the
right
time of day, because I don't bother to correct it when I flip on the
battery switches

ROTFLMAO!

Did Harry really say that?

NOYB October 13th 05 08:16 PM

Recommend a good watch

wrote:

The GPS on Yo Ho has a clock, of course, but it's never set to the
right
time of day, because I don't bother to correct it when I flip on the
battery switches
ROTFLMAO!

Did Harry really say that?

Indeed. I never properly set the "offset" on the unit, apparently. I'll
try again.

I'm pretty sure my Garmin automatically sets the offset too. When I took it
with me to Texas, I don't remember changing the offset.

PocoLoco October 13th 05 09:08 PM

Recommend a good watch

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:20:22 -0400, " *JimH*" wrote:

"PocoLoco" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:41:45 -0400, " *JimH*" wrote:

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

"Don White" wrote in message
Pjparty wrote:
[...]

My cell phone is off unless I have an emergency or need to call someone. I don't
know if my cell phone has a clock or not, but for sure looking at my wrist is
more convenient than digging out my cell phone, opening it, turning it on, and
waiting for it to do its thing. I don't have a boat stereo. But if I did, I'd
have to pay attention to it to hear when the time was next told. Again, looking
at the wrist is immediate and convenient.

Starbucker October 17th 05 03:30 PM

Recommend a good watch

NOYB,
Do you get the feeling that Harry doesn't own a GPS either?

"NOYB" wrote in message
link.net...

Skipper October 17th 05 03:46 PM

Recommend a good watch

Starbucker wrote:

Do you get the feeling that Harry doesn't own a GPS either?

Now THAT is funny...and so true.

--
Skipper

Harry.Krause October 17th 05 03:48 PM

Recommend a good watch

I pretended to have one once, it was nice.

Lunch was nice;

Festered rodent bowel and stinkbug genitalia seasoning garnished with
fricasseed flea offal, cooked in a steaming cup filled with small pieces of
salsa and garlic in tea, a side of pastries and a mug of jellied intestine.

In article , Starbucker says...

NOYB,
Do you get the feeling that Harry doesn't own a GPS either?

"NOYB" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Starbucker October 17th 05 03:58 PM

Recommend a good watch

Skipper,
It does not amaze me that Harry doesn't own a GPS, but it does amaze me that
he didn't know the GPS had a built in clock.

I would have thought he would have read about it in one of his boating
magazines.

Skipper October 17th 05 05:31 PM

Recommend a good watch

Starbucker wrote:

Skipper,
It does not amaze me that Harry doesn't own a GPS, but it does amaze
me that he didn't know the GPS had a built in clock.

It goes MUCH further than that. Krause once had a discussion with
Skipper where he took the position that a sextant was much better for
navigating the Chesapeake, and all coastal navigation for that matter,
than a GPS. Worse, Harry was dead serious...or should I say DED serious?
It's in the archives.

--
Skipper

NOYB October 17th 05 05:44 PM

Recommend a good watch

"Skipper" wrote in message

It goes MUCH further than that. Krause once had a discussion with
Skipper

But I thought *you* are Skipper?

Don White October 17th 05 07:51 PM

Recommend a good watch

NOYB wrote:
"Skipper" wrote in message

It goes MUCH further than that. Krause once had a discussion with
Skipper

But I thought *you* are Skipper?

He's confusing himself now.
Just a 'cheap immitation' Skipper.
Wonder what the 'real' Skipper is up to and if he's supplying
information to the Pseudo version.

[email protected] October 17th 05 09:45 PM

Recommend a good watch

Bill McKee wrote:
I think it knows where
you are from the lat / lon and uses that number.

Gee, ya think??

[email protected] October 17th 05 09:50 PM

Recommend a good watch

Don White wrote:
NOYB wrote:
"Skipper" wrote in message

It goes MUCH further than that. Krause once had a discussion with
Skipper

But I thought *you* are Skipper?

He's confusing himself now.
Just a 'cheap immitation' Skipper.
Wonder what the 'real' Skipper is up to and if he's supplying
information to the Pseudo version.

He sure fooled the likes of JimH, and his band of nose to ass people.
They just can't seem to figure out that you can call yourself anybody
you want via a munged address!!! I find it hilarious!! Hell, my little
kid can do it!!

Starbucker October 17th 05 09:59 PM

Recommend a good watch

Don,
I thought you were smarter than that. How can the new Skipper have the
exact same working email that the old Skipper had? Cox would not reissue
the old email address to a new user, and if this was just a "spoofed" email,
it would not send the email to the "new" Skipper.

Harry likes to blow smoke at everyone, but I thought you were smarter.

Starbucker October 17th 05 10:06 PM

Recommend a good watch

BK,
Why don't you show us how to use a "munged" address and have the email
forwarded to real email address. It is easy to enter a any email address in
your Newsreader, but that will not make it a working email address.

Heck, you can't figure out how to send people email without having it say
"Kevin Noble" in the "from" label.

wrote in message
oups.com...

PocoLoco October 18th 05 01:12 AM

Recommend a good watch

On 17 Oct 2005 13:50:27 -0700, wrote:

Don White wrote:
NOYB wrote:
"Skipper" wrote in message

It goes MUCH further than that. Krause once had a discussion with
Skipper

But I thought *you* are Skipper?

He's confusing himself now.
Just a 'cheap immitation' Skipper.
Wonder what the 'real' Skipper is up to and if he's supplying
information to the Pseudo version.

He sure fooled the likes of JimH, and his band of nose to ass people.
They just can't seem to figure out that you can call yourself anybody
you want via a munged address!!! I find it hilarious!! Hell, my little
kid can do it!!

More anal fixation! Were you punished severely during your potty training?
Sometimes that will cause an anal fixation.
--
John H