misty3k

Default Help!

Hi, I'm hoping to get some good info here! : )

My dad is planning on buying a boat, and has asked me to go boat
shopping with him. He's retired and wanted to do recreational boating
and fishing up in Laughlin. We rented a houseboat one summer and had a
great time, and I think he's leaning in that direction. What do you
all think? Is a houseboat a good purchase, or should he purchase
something else?

Thanks for any help you can give!

~misty3k
fav links:
http://www.homestarrunner.com/main16.html (hlarious!)
http://thefunlife.boatlotto.com/ (I WILL win that boat for my dad!
g)

Peter Aitken

"misty3k" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I'm hoping to get some good info here! : )

My dad is planning on buying a boat, and has asked me to go boat
shopping with him. He's retired and wanted to do recreational boating
and fishing up in Laughlin. We rented a houseboat one summer and had a
great time, and I think he's leaning in that direction. What do you
all think? Is a houseboat a good purchase, or should he purchase
something else?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Really, how can strangers answer this for you? If your dad uses the boat a
lot and has fun then it was a good purchase. All I can suggest is to try out
a few kinds of boat - a house boat, a pontoon boat, and so on, then make a
choice.

--
Peter Aitken

*JimH*

"misty3k" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I'm hoping to get some good info here! : )

My dad is planning on buying a boat, and has asked me to go boat
shopping with him. He's retired and wanted to do recreational boating
and fishing up in Laughlin. We rented a houseboat one summer and had a
great time, and I think he's leaning in that direction. What do you
all think? Is a houseboat a good purchase, or should he purchase
something else?

Thanks for any help you can give!

~misty3k
fav links:
http://www.homestarrunner.com/main16.html (hlarious!)
http://thefunlife.boatlotto.com/ (I WILL win that boat for my dad!
g)

"We rented a houseboat one summer and had a great time, and I think he's
leaning in that direction."

I think you just answered your own question.

tony thomas

Houseboat can be a lot of fun but it has many drawbacks.
1. Goes very slow and gets low fuel mileage. So don't plan on going far
from where the boat is docked.
2. Fairly high maintenance since it sets out all the time in the water.
Plus maintenance cost is high since the mechanic has to come to the boat.
3. Has to stay in the water so your looking at dock fees that can be fairly
high depending on the area.
4. To get one in good shape that does not require much work will be fairly
costly.

However, they can be great fun and if your retired - you can spend the night
on the boat and can ancor whereever you are (assuming you have a generator
or good batteries). And you have lots of room.

If he is looking to cruise the water and see the sights (not fish) and wants
to be able to spend the night on the boat every once in a while, I would
consider something in a 24' cabin cruiser. This is trailerable. Will cost
less to maintain since you don't have to leave it in the water. Will cost
less to store since your not having to pay dock fees. Will cost less to run
(especially since you can fill up on the road instead of at the marina).
Plus you can haul to different areas of the country if you want to.
Of course you will need a truck capable of hauling the boat. Or you can
dry dock it and still enjoy a lot of the benefits.

Only draw back is you don't have as much room on the boat for a big TV,
satillite dish, etc...

Just a thought.

--
Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

-
"misty3k" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I'm hoping to get some good info here! : )

My dad is planning on buying a boat, and has asked me to go boat
shopping with him. He's retired and wanted to do recreational boating
and fishing up in Laughlin. We rented a houseboat one summer and had a
great time, and I think he's leaning in that direction. What do you
all think? Is a houseboat a good purchase, or should he purchase
something else?

Thanks for any help you can give!

~misty3k
fav links:
http://www.homestarrunner.com/main16.html (hlarious!)
http://thefunlife.boatlotto.com/ (I WILL win that boat for my dad!
g)

misty3k

"Houseboat can be a lot of fun but it has many drawbacks.
1. Goes very slow and gets low fuel mileage. So don't plan on going
far
from where the boat is docked.
2. Fairly high maintenance since it sets out all the time in the
water.
Plus maintenance cost is high since the mechanic has to come to the
boat.
3. Has to stay in the water so your looking at dock fees that can be
fairly
high depending on the area.
4. To get one in good shape that does not require much work will be
fairly
costly. "

Docking. Didn't even figure that in to the equation. That could be an
issue.

"If he is looking to cruise the water and see the sights (not fish) and
wants
to be able to spend the night on the boat every once in a while, I
would
consider something in a 24' cabin cruiser. This is trailerable. Will
cost
less to maintain since you don't have to leave it in the water. Will
cost
less to store since your not having to pay dock fees. Will cost less
to run
(especially since you can fill up on the road instead of at the
marina).
Plus you can haul to different areas of the country if you want to.
Of course you will need a truck capable of hauling the boat. Or you
can
dry dock it and still enjoy a lot of the benefits. "

This actually sounds like a good option. We've got the truck and it
can haul things like a boat, so I think I'm gonna push him in that
direction.

Thanks so much for the input!

~misty3k
favelinks
http://www.homestarrunner.com
http://thevegaslife.quickcashlotto.com/
http://thefunlife.boatlotto.com/

tony thomas

There are a lot of good cabin cruisers in the 24' to 26' range out there.
Check www.boattraderonline.com
You should be able to pick up a very nice one for $20k to $25k if not less
depending on year and brand.
Are you/your dad capable of doing repairs and stuff yourself or are you
stuck w/ a repair shop for most anything? Reason I ask is you can save some
money if you can do some repairs yourself. Otherwise you will want to find
a newer in really good condition boat that is going to cost a little more up
front but save you on maintenance down the road.

By the way - make sure the boat you find has hydraulic trim tabs. You
really need them on this type boat to keep it running level and on plane at
slower speeds.

Good luck,
--
Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

-
"misty3k" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Don White

misty3k wrote:

This actually sounds like a good option. We've got the truck and it
can haul things like a boat, so I think I'm gonna push him in that
direction.

Thanks so much for the input!

~misty3k

My brother-in-law bought a houseboat four years ago. Big mistake... we
live on the ocean and his insurance people forbid him to leave the
harbour. He now has it at a lake. I'm sure he'd sell it cheap (in
American dollars) if you really want one.