Doug Kanter

Default Nature's Delights

I have a huge rabbit that thinks my garden is a salad bar. In fact, it is a
salad bar, but not hers. By this weekend, bunny will get to know the word
"cacciatore". :-)

"HarryKrause" wrote in message
My lovely wife takes certain leftovers and scraps from meal preparation
and puts them out on the edge of the lawn next to our woods for "the
critters." I do it, too. These little guys don't have an easy life, and we
enjoy watching them from time to time. So far, we've had a couple of
raccoons, deer, a couple of barn cats, some possums, et cetera, coming by
for handouts. We do a lot more of it in the dead of winter, when food is
hard to find.

Well, last evening was the best so far. I was in the basement when my wife
called out, "Go look out the bathroom window, and be very still about it."

There, on the edge of our yard, was Mama Fox and two kits. Absolutely
beautiful animals, grey foxes, with a little red, with marvelous bushy
tales. The mama wandered a bit into the yard to snatch up half a hamburger
with bun that my wife had tossed. She carried it back to the edge of the
forest, and then came back for a few more items for her shopping cart, and
then they were off. It's hard to believe anyone would want to hunt down
for "sport" so lovely a critter.

--
If it is Bad for Bush,
It is Good for the United States.

John Jay

The trash dumps in our National Parks have become a smorgasbord for wild
life. It is one of the worst things you can do for with wild life. Human
Food is not healthy for wild life, and when a mother teaches it's children
to use human scraps to eat, the next generation doesn't learn how to fend
for themselves or how to find their food in the wild.

If you really cared about the wildlife, you never would put your scraps out
for the animals to eat. In the national parks, the rangers have finally
realized the danger to this behavior and have made steps to make sure
wildlife can no longer use the dumps as their feeding trough.