John Gaquin

"ToneJohn" wrote in message

I think i'm gonna.. It's a fairly simple job to do... i got a used exahuast
manifold put in last season. but there's still the elbow and the other side
exhaust manifold and elbow.. Should i replace both the manifold and elbow
on the other side? I know you said visual inspection will only reveal
little but is there a way to tell or jus treplace em?

A) ".. i got a used exahuast manifold put in last season...." Potentially
dangerous. How used? How old? What condition? From what usage
environment? Salt water? You may not have improved your circumstances
much.

B) ".. is there a way to tell or jus treplace em..." There are two
ways to do it.... right, or again. As long as you're gonna get your hands
dirty, I'd replace the whole shebang. The best they're going to look is
"acceptable". Probably cost about 700 or so for the parts, and do the labor
yourself.

ToneJohn

"John Gaquin" wrote in message

"ToneJohn" wrote in message

[...]

Well the marina put in a used one, so i'm only assuming it was decent... But
i get your point about doing the labor myself, i'm gonna give it a shot,
only minor bump is one of the boats on the manifold is rusted away, not too
experienced in tapping and removing the bolts.. have to enlist my local
friendly mechanic...

i thank you both for your help.. this is my first boat and i'm learning
alot. especially the money pit part

John H

"ToneJohn" wrote in message

[...]

Be sure and use new bolts! Don't try to save a couple bucks by using the old
ones.

--
John H
On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes (A true binary thinker!)
Bill McKee

"ToneJohn" wrote in message

[...]

With anti-sieze on the bolts!

JR North

Note that a burn-out of one of the elbows may well also damage the
bellows to the lower unit. Better check it out.
JR

John H wrote:

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 14:32:57 -0400, "ToneJohn" wrote:

well i just brought it in for that. It's coming out on one side and
dribbling out on the other. The marina said that that is normal while on
the earmuffs. The exhaust flaps were shot and they replaced them. But it
still comes out on one side mainly. The marina said that this is because
there isn't enough water flow while on the muffs and when its in the water
it comes out both sides while driving. The thing that is odd was i thought
i did remember last year the water coming out from both sides, but the
marina assured me that as long as it comes out on one side and a little
comes out on the other it's fine. Hope that's true... opinion???

When i ran it in the lake the other day it did not overheat and the elbows
were hot but i could hold my hand on them for aout 5-10 seconds stil...

"John H" wrote in message
. ..

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 12:29:21 -0400, "ToneJohn" wrote:

One of my exhaust elbows is hotter then the other when idleing on the
earmuffs. I just had the exhaust flaps replaced. Basically i can keep my
hand on the elbow for about 5-10 seconds before i need to remove them.
The
other elbow seems hot but i can keep my hand on longer. It also seems
that
the rear of the elbow is exteremely hotter then the front, i'm assuming
because the cool water enters from the front of the elbow. I have a
normal
temperature range so i'm not sure if this will be a potential problem once
i'm out on the lake. any advice is appreciated.

When on the muffs are you getting a good flow of water from each side of
the
exhaust? My flow is about the same from each side. When the riser on the
starboard side was plugged, the flow on that side was nil.

--
John H

"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal,
murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a
particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to
miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his
continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction
.. So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is
real
..."
- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003

Water had been coming out of both sides of mine when on the muffs. Last summer I
noticed that almost no water was coming out the starboard side. I asked the
marina and the mechanic shrugged it off.

While on the water smoke started streaming from everywhere. I shut everything
down, got the fire extinguisher, and opened the engine hatch cover. The smoke
dissipated rapidly, and I saw the exhaust hose on the starboard side had melted
through. That was the source of the smoke. The riser on that side was too hot to
touch.

I got towed in. Replaced both manifolds and risers (8 seasons old). Now water
comes out both sides, equally, with the muffs.

That's my story.