Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
T39

Default '69 I/O Mercruiser: couple of questions

I have a 120 HP Mercruiser I/O Stern drive. There is a couple of things
I wanted to put out here to hear your expert opinion on it Please
advise, and if possible give me some detailed unstructions where to
check and what to do. I am a newbie when it comes to this kind of
stuff. Thanks a lot in advance!

1)
I am having a really hard time to start the engine. It generally takes
me 7 or 8 tries to get it going. I have tried adjusting the idle RPM,
but this didn't help much. I have tried to pump the lever as a choke,
but that didn't work either.

2)
When I finally get it started, it has a hard time 'catching gears'.
When I shift it to Forward it usually does OK (could be better), but
shifting to Reverse from neutral takes a while, and you'll hear this
clicking noise. It sounds like it is trying to catch gears.

3)
The last time I went out on the boat it suddenly started stalling
around 3000 RPM. Any effort to increase the throttle would result in
the engine stuttering and almost shutting down. My assumption is that
there is a clog somewhere in the fuel line or somewhere else.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. If possible give me some
pointers as to where to look and what to do.

Thanks a lot!