Chris

Default proper use of cold start throttle?

Hi there,

I assume most motors have them (cold start throttle), but I'm going to be
specific about an early 70's Merc.

Should it always be mandatory that the throttle be used when starting? Or
is this just for a cold day when it hasn't run in 24 hrs? Likewise, how
much throttle is typically given when you start your motor? 1/4, 1/2 or
full? Do you rev your engine to help it warm up?

I'm new to these motors with controls as I'm traditionally a tiller
boater...

Thanks

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Thu, 26 May 2005 20:09:40 -0400, "Chris"
wrote:

Hi there,

I assume most motors have them (cold start throttle), but I'm going to be
specific about an early 70's Merc.

Should it always be mandatory that the throttle be used when starting?
Or is this just for a cold day when it hasn't run in 24 hrs?

Just a little throttle will do just fine - up to a 1/4 or so. You
don't need much more than that in any conditions with a properly tuned
and maintained engine.

Likewise, how much throttle is typically given when you start your motor?

None. Then again, my engines are 30 plus years newer than yours. :)

1/4, 1/2 or full?

When I had this type of engine, usually a 1/4 throttle or less - you
don't want a quick rev up on a cold engine.

Do you rev your engine to help it warm up?

No. It will warm by itself given adequate choke and a little
throttle. As the engine warms, decrease the choke and you'll be all
set.

Later,

Tom
Chris

Thanks for the info.

This old motor has an electric push button choke which I need to fix as
well. However, when talking about using the choke, I'd have to hold that
button down until the engine has warmed up correct? That could be a pain in
the finger if it takes a while.

wrote:

[...]

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Fri, 27 May 2005 09:19:06 -0400, "Chris"
wrote:

Thanks for the info.

This old motor has an electric push button choke which I need to fix as
well. However, when talking about using the choke, I'd have to hold that
button down until the engine has warmed up correct? That could be a pain in
the finger if it takes a while.

Hmmm - that I'm not sure of. I would think that the choke will be
temperature sensitive and move from half on and when the engine is
warm enough, switch off, but I can't swear to that.

One of the Merc guys will probably chime in on this one.

I hope. :)

Later,

Tom

Harry.Krause

wrote:

Hi there,

I assume most motors have them (cold start throttle), but I'm going to be
specific about an early 70's Merc.

There is no need to use it when its cold. Just pump the trottlr a few
times, and grind her over.

Me and the wife
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/harkra...bum?.dir=/1323