BoatBanter.com

-   -   This newsgroup has (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/38881-newsgroup-has.html)

SallyRd May 24th 05 09:22 PM

This newsgroup has

19% posts regarding boating/marine, and the rest about anything else

I just luv it!

[email protected] May 24th 05 09:26 PM

SallyRd wrote:
19% posts regarding boating/marine, and the rest about anything else

I just luv it!

Of course you do, Smithers.

The Snapper Trapper May 24th 05 11:01 PM

grin,
Kevin,
You are seeing Smithers everywhere you look.

wrote in message
ups.com...

*JimH* May 24th 05 11:32 PM

http://animatedtv.about.com/library/...s/smithers.jpg

John H May 25th 05 12:01 AM

On Tue, 24 May 2005 18:01:39 -0400, "The Snapper Trapper"
wrote:

grin,
Kevin,
You are seeing Smithers everywhere you look.

wrote in message
oups.com...

SallyRd wrote:
19% posts regarding boating/marine, and the rest about anything else

I just luv it!

Of course you do, Smithers.

....and black helicopters...?

--
John H
On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes (A true binary thinker!)

John H May 25th 05 01:10 AM

wrote:

grin,
Kevin,
You are seeing Smithers everywhere you look.

wrote in message
groups.com...

SallyRd wrote:

19% posts regarding boating/marine, and the rest about anything else

I just luv it!

Of course you do, Smithers.

...and black helicopters...?

"Smithers" is more than an individual. It is also is part of a word form
(Smithers, Smithering, Smithered, et cetera) that describes individuals
posting here with multiple and wildly different IDs, or posting with the
IDs of others, et cetera, and also the disease such activity causes.

When we've been smithered, we've been dumped upon by a jerk or group of
jerks who are using dozens of multiple identities to disrupt the newsgroup.

Thus, when some pest is referred to as "Smithers," it really no longer
matters if it is the "original" Smithers or one of the several
ejaculates who thought it was cute to behave that way and decided to
follow in the obnovious one's footsteps, as it were.

Don't break your arm, Harry.

Jack Goff May 25th 05 01:53 AM

"Harry.Krause" wrote:

When we've been smithered, we've been dumped upon by a jerk or group of
jerks who are using dozens of multiple identities to disrupt the

newsgroup.

Wow! We were just smithered again by a jerk that uses multiple email
addresses to disrupt this NG. He generally goes by the moniker Harry
Krause.

Jack

bb May 25th 05 02:06 AM

wrote:

"Smithers" is more than an individual.

Why don't you shove it up your Smithers, Krause?

bb

Falky foo May 25th 05 02:39 AM

The only thing worse than the off-topic posts are the posts complaining
about the off-topic posts.

NOYB May 25th 05 03:23 AM

"SallyRd" wrote in message
19% posts regarding boating/marine, and the rest about anything else

I just luv it!

It was actually 20% before your off-topic post.

But guess what!

If you used "OT" in your subject line, then people who filter "OT" can read
about nothing but boats.

Falky foo May 25th 05 11:54 AM

you=psycho

Netsock May 25th 05 12:39 PM

"SallyRd" wrote in message
19% posts regarding boating/marine, and the rest about anything else

I just luv it!

Yup. And you can thank pretty much one person for all the OT garbage here.

Our village idiot, Harry Krause.

Kill file the a-hole.

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/

[email protected] May 25th 05 01:13 PM

Netsock wrote:
"SallyRd" wrote in message
19% posts regarding boating/marine, and the rest about anything else

I just luv it!

Yup. And you can thank pretty much one person for all the OT garbage here.

Our village idiot, Harry Krause.

Kill file the a-hole.

--
-Netsock

Really? I don't see any boating related posts by YOU, either. Take a
look at P. Fritz next. How many boating related posts or replies do you
see by him? How about Smithers and all of his nasty, vulgar clones?
Take a look at how many OT posts JohnH starts, and also how many he
replies to. Next, take a look at NOYB, the best person in the world at
everything, living in the best house, with the best boat, in the best
neighborhood in the best city ever, and see how many posts HE replies
to that have nothing to do with boats.

[email protected] May 25th 05 01:15 PM

The Snapper Trapper wrote:
grin,
Kevin,
You are seeing Smithers everywhere you look.

wrote in message
ups.com...

SallyRd wrote:
19% posts regarding boating/marine, and the rest about anything else

I just luv it!

Of course you do, Smithers.

A Smithers is anyone who mungs addresses then answers himself, get it?

[email protected] May 25th 05 01:16 PM

wrote:

grin,
Kevin,
You are seeing Smithers everywhere you look.

wrote in message
oups.com...

SallyRd wrote:
19% posts regarding boating/marine, and the rest about anything else

I just luv it!

Of course you do, Smithers.

...and black helicopters...?

--
John H

Hannity, is that you?

The Snapper Trapper May 25th 05 01:22 PM

Wait, then you are Smithers. Everyone remembers you using a sock puppet as
an arbitrator in one of your silly arguments.

wrote in message
ups.com...

The Snapper Trapper wrote:
grin,
Kevin,
You are seeing Smithers everywhere you look.

wrote in message
ups.com...

John H May 25th 05 01:32 PM

On 25 May 2005 05:13:13 -0700, wrote:

Netsock wrote:
"SallyRd" wrote in message
19% posts regarding boating/marine, and the rest about anything else

I just luv it!

Yup. And you can thank pretty much one person for all the OT garbage here.

Our village idiot, Harry Krause.

Kill file the a-hole.

--
-Netsock

Really? I don't see any boating related posts by YOU, either. Take a
look at P. Fritz next. How many boating related posts or replies do you
see by him? How about Smithers and all of his nasty, vulgar clones?
Take a look at how many OT posts JohnH starts, and also how many he
replies to. Next, take a look at NOYB, the best person in the world at
everything, living in the best house, with the best boat, in the best
neighborhood in the best city ever, and see how many posts HE replies
to that have nothing to do with boats.

I think the last time I started an OT thread was when I mentioned the birth of
my grandson, back in mid-April. I'm probably not the best example of OT thread
starters. Maybe HK would be a better example. Let's look at today, for example.

John H May 25th 05 01:33 PM

On 25 May 2005 05:15:27 -0700, wrote:

The Snapper Trapper wrote:
grin,
Kevin,
You are seeing Smithers everywhere you look.

wrote in message
ups.com...

SallyRd wrote:
19% posts regarding boating/marine, and the rest about anything else

I just luv it!

Of course you do, Smithers.

A Smithers is anyone who mungs addresses then answers himself, get it?

Could you post the dictionary reference you used? Or are you just parroting
someone?

John H May 25th 05 01:34 PM

wrote:

grin,
Kevin,
You are seeing Smithers everywhere you look.

wrote in message
oups.com...

SallyRd wrote:
19% posts regarding boating/marine, and the rest about anything else

I just luv it!

Of course you do, Smithers.

...and black helicopters...?

--
John H

Hannity, is that you?

You're a great American!

[email protected] May 25th 05 05:13 PM

Netsock wrote:
"SallyRd" wrote in message
[...]

You sure as hell don't have a problem replying to them, though huh?

[email protected] May 25th 05 05:13 PM

wrote:

grin,
Kevin,
You are seeing Smithers everywhere you look.

wrote in message
oups.com...

SallyRd wrote:
19% posts regarding boating/marine, and the rest about anything else

I just luv it!

Of course you do, Smithers.

...and black helicopters...?

--
John H

Hannity, is that you?

You're a great American!

You're an idiot!

John H May 25th 05 05:22 PM

On 25 May 2005 09:13:17 -0700, wrote:

John H wrote:
On 25 May 2005 05:13:13 -0700,
wrote:

Netsock wrote:
"SallyRd" wrote in message
[...]

Are you admitting the error of your implication that I start a lot of OT posts?

John H May 25th 05 05:22 PM

On 25 May 2005 09:13:50 -0700, wrote:

John H wrote:

wrote:

grin,
Kevin,
You are seeing Smithers everywhere you look.

wrote in message
oups.com...

SallyRd wrote:
19% posts regarding boating/marine, and the rest about anything else

I just luv it!

Of course you do, Smithers.

...and black helicopters...?

--
John H

Hannity, is that you?

You're a great American!

You're an idiot!

LMAO!

[email protected] May 25th 05 05:28 PM

John H wrote:

Are you admitting the error of your implication that I start a lot of OT posts?

--
John H
On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD

Here's a simple thing to do. I urge you and others to try it. Do a
google groups search. Then, in the Author section type JohnH. In the
Subject contains box, type OT. Tell me, how many OT posts by JohnH do
you see?

[email protected] May 25th 05 05:33 PM

..........really gone to hell lately.

Looks like the profane cross posting has definitely "changed the tone
of the group".

How swell.

This morning there are more OT posts than ever, with a bunch of folks
from a dozen different NG's all dumping crap in rec.boats to get even
for the profane cross posts directed into their groups.

There's even some discussion between a bunch of gamers pledging to
start a war that will "destroy the NG" and threatening everybody with
"invisible swords"? Keerist.

Instead of the usual on-and off-topic discussions (and the
ever present HK Fan Club), we now have anonymous netkops posting
obscene remarks, racist/fascist cartoons falsely posted under the name
of an individual too "liberal" for the perpetrator's taste, and a new
group that feels the "anonyous remailing" services allow them to behave
like the irresponsible, pimply, 13-year old delinquents they mentally
are.

You guys happy with the results of your campaign?

Next time you set out to change the world, make sure you've got a
better plan.

*JimH* May 25th 05 05:36 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

And you have been innocent in this? Seems to me you have been one of the
more prolific OT posters and crossposters here.

John H May 25th 05 05:41 PM

On 25 May 2005 09:28:40 -0700, wrote:

John H wrote:

Are you admitting the error of your implication that I start a lot of OT posts?

--
John H
On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD

Here's a simple thing to do. I urge you and others to try it. Do a
google groups search. Then, in the Author section type JohnH. In the
Subject contains box, type OT. Tell me, how many OT posts by JohnH do
you see?

You left out a step:

Once the list of OT threads is presented, count how many of them John H actually
*started*!

John H May 25th 05 05:48 PM

On 25 May 2005 09:33:37 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Good morning, Chuck!

The east coast weather didn't cooperate today, so we couldn't go watch the Blue
Angels do their thing at Annapolis. That would have been a nice run, and
sometimes the bottom fishing is pretty good at the mouth of the Severn.

So, I've been trying again to get Harry to stop his name-calling. Not much
success, I fear. Kevin woke up and jumped into the fray. He was extremely
offended by my calling Harry some gross names for comments he made (for which
I've apologized) and for using the terms 'horse****' and 'bull****'.

And you jumped right in the middle!

If you'll disregard the profane net cops, and especially stop crossposting with
further feed Harry's ego, causing even more of his caustic, name-calling posts,
thus adding even more to the general chaos.

Good job, Chuck! Welcome aboard!

*JimH* May 25th 05 05:53 PM

"John H" wrote in message
[...]

will
further feed Harry's ego, causing even more of his caustic, name-calling
posts,
thus adding even more to the general chaos.

Good job, Chuck! Welcome aboard!

--
John H
On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to
resolve it."
Rene Descartes (A true binary thinker!)

Chucks post was a perfect example of his typical "Who Me?" attitude.

[email protected] May 25th 05 06:51 PM

John H wrote:

Are you admitting the error of your implication that I start a lot of OT posts?

--
John H
On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD

Here's a simple thing to do. I urge you and others to try it. Do a
google groups search. Then, in the Author section type JohnH. In the
Subject contains box, type OT. Tell me, how many OT posts by JohnH do
you see?

You left out a step:

Once the list of OT threads is presented, count how many of them John H actually
*started*!

--
John H
On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD

Ah, so in YOUR idiotic world, you can post off topic a million times,
and be perfectly innocent of it, as long as you didn't START the
thread??????
Would it be the same if a couple of people stole your car? Let's say
someone broke the window (STARTED stealing the car), then runs off,
another gets in, hotwires it, and takes it. He's caught down the road,
would you tell the cops they should let him go because he wasn't the
one who STARTED stealing it? Here's your sign!!!!!!!

[email protected] May 25th 05 07:25 PM

And you have been innocent in this? Seems to me you have been one of
the
more prolific OT posters and crossposters here

***********
I don't deliberately cross post. Our porfane net cop is taking care of
the cross posting in his/her effort to secrew up the group. The only
place I noramlly post is here. The only group in which I normally
respond is here. Click on the "Reply" line in a Google newsgroup, you
don't know where the post may go beyond the group you're reading.

I have posted OT, but no more than many of the regulars, yourself
included.

Am I "innocent" in areas of profanity, cross posting, using anonymous
remailers, spoofing the ID of others, initiating threads simply as a
vehicle to make personal attacks, posting obscene cartoons or photos
purported to be of other NG participants? Of deliberately disrupting
things and demanding that everybody else conform to my personal view of
what the NG should be?
Far, far more innocent than some- and certainly as innocent as most.

[email protected] May 25th 05 07:34 PM

Can you follow a thread, John?

I responded to SallyRd, and deliberately avoided the peeing contest
that included 46 posts from:

atl-m
Snapper Trapper
*JimH*
John H
Harry Krause
Jack Goff
bb
Freddy the Troll
Alfredo
Flaky Foo
Ferdinand
Tony
NOYB
Netsock
FOA

That's not "jumping into the middle", it's walking around the edge to
the other side of the pile.

One thing that would help, in general,would be if those who
have appointed themselves the arbiters of the NG would observe the same
standards they demand from others.

*JimH* May 25th 05 07:53 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You are certainly not innocent of inflaming, posting OT and cross posting.

I saw your post as a bit hypocritical considering the cross posting you have
contributed to in at least OT threads ('Aiming Pee' and 'the most important
question in life') and the amount of OT posting you are currently involved
in, mostly political in nature.

I never said I was innocent. But I did not post a complaint about OT
posting.

Fair enough. Let's move forward and work towards improving things.

John H May 25th 05 08:15 PM

On 25 May 2005 11:25:27 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Chuck, if you'd get Agent, it would show whether a post was crossposted and to
how many groups. Then you get the choice of crossposting again or keeping it in
the current group.

John H May 25th 05 08:17 PM

On 25 May 2005 11:34:46 -0700, wrote:

[...]

I gave up. No one seemed interested. Now you can carry the torch a while. If you
decide to try, I'll support you. Get Harry convinced, and basskisser.

[email protected] May 25th 05 08:49 PM

I gave up. No one seemed interested. Now you can carry the torch a
while. If you
decide to try, I'll support you. Get Harry convinced, and basskisser.

*********

There's no reason to carry any sort of torch. At all.
Every person here has the capacity to constructively influence the
group. It's simple:
We simply need to:

1) Take conscious control of and responsibilty for the tone and content
of our *own* posts. Nobody else can force us to behave badly, it's a
choice we make and need to be responsible for.

2) Avoid reading posts from people we find inflammatory. If we can't
read a from Person XXX without getting so upset that we react
shamefully, why read posts from Person XXX at all?
Sometimes, Person XXX only posts because he or she is hoping for a
ridiculous, emotional reaction from almost anybody. Responding with
insults and getting into a peeing contest with
such a person is like trying to douse a fire with gasoline. Wrong
tactic.

There is no way that any type of bad and/or destructive behavior by
anybody will turn this group around. If several people contest to see
who can be the biggest butthole, even if the stated purpose is to
"discourage others from behaving like a butthole," we wind up with a
group of contentious buttholes.

AFAIAC, the rest of the group can post whatever it wants. While I might
comment about certain practices, that stops well short of insisting
that everyone else should behave according to my preferences.(or taking
crazy steps when the group does not confrom to my wishes) Most of
these people are adults. More of the group could behave on an adult
level if it simply decided to do so.

Maybe you should consider picking the torch back up, but instead of
struggling to be torch-bearer for the entire community use it to light
your own way? :-)

You don't like Harry and basskisser? Don't read their stuff. It will
make a huge difference. The fact tha they exist on the same planet
shouldn't ruin your day.

The Snapper Trapper May 25th 05 09:30 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
You don't like Harry and basskisser? Don't read their stuff. It will
make a huge difference. The fact tha they exist on the same planet
shouldn't ruin your day.

Since rec.boats has become such a wreck, the only fun left is to see what
Basskisser will say next. ; )

You do have to admit, he is very humorous.

John H May 25th 05 09:31 PM

On 25 May 2005 12:49:26 -0700, wrote:

[...]

You're doing a great job. Keep it up! Carry your own torch also! If Jim bothers
you, don't read his posts. You are doing quite well preaching at one who is not
a name-caller, but I notice you say little to those who are. Why would this be?

[email protected] May 26th 05 12:52 AM

You are doing quite well preaching at one who is not
a name-caller, but I notice you say little to those who are. Why would
this be?

**********

Because those who never contribute anything except steaming vomit are
normally unworthy of response.

Forgive the "preaching." I was merely addressing your comment (that you
have given up trying to change to tone of rec.boats) by pointing out
the one certain thing we all can do. I don't know why you should be so
personally offended by the pronoun, "we", but- whatever.

*************

JohnH wrote:

If Jim bothers
you, don't read his posts

*********

When I deteriorate to launching attack threads, calling names, and
following JimH around the NG throwing in snide personal remarks after
everything he submits, you will know that he has finally "bothered" me.
JimH isn't such a terrible guy----he's at least consistent and you know
*exactly* what to expect when he enters a thread. He's only changed his
handle a few times over the years, his current handle can be associated
with his actual name, and in my book that gives him a lot more credit
that people using anonymous remailers to act as stupidly as possible.
Some of the worst polluters change handles several times a day- very
understandable considering how quickly they "dirty" the old ones.