Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Sal's Dad

Default Sailing instruction

I am looking for a curriculum or instructor's guide, for teaching sailing
and general boating skills to 9-year-olds.

We have invited a few of my daughter's friends to join us for a "camp" at
our waterfront home, with a variety of boats - paddle, row, sail, outboard.
It would be nice to have some structure for the time on the water,
especially for kids who didn't grow up in boats. Instructors will be a
college-student cousin (very experienced on the water in all types of craft,
from kayaks to square-riggers) and me (it's been a long time since sailing
lessons as a 12-year-old...)

US Sailing has a coursebook http://www.ussailing.org/sailingsmart/, and the
Canadian Yacht Association has a series of "checklists" online
http://www.sailing.ca/cbet/. Any other suggestions or resources?

Thanks,

--
Sal's Dad