Jeff

Default transom saver (piece of crap)

Just got back from the lake with half a Transom Saver and no fin below the
prop. Had no idea it fell, but it torn up the lower unit. Anybody making a
fix kit for outboards? It's a Merc 90hp. I didn't hook up the Transom
Saver so I'm not sure what went wrong. Any help would be appreciated
because I'm bummed.

Capt. Neal®

"Jeff" wrote in message ...
Just got back from the lake with half a Transom Saver and no fin below the
prop. Had no idea it fell, but it torn up the lower unit. Anybody making a
fix kit for outboards? It's a Merc 90hp. I didn't hook up the Transom
Saver so I'm not sure what went wrong. Any help would be appreciated
because I'm bummed.

Let that be a lesson to ya. Ixnay on all that lift fin crap and transom saver
crap and anything else that modifies the stock setup.

You're looking at a new prop as yours is probably badly bent. You need a
new gear case plus the labor to install it. We're talking big bucks here.
Prepare to shell out close to a grand.

Live and learn. I'd be bummed too...

CN

Capt. Neal=AE wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message

Just got back from the lake with half a Transom Saver and no fin

below the
prop. Had no idea it fell, but it torn up the lower unit. Anybody

making a
fix kit for outboards? It's a Merc 90hp. I didn't hook up the

Transom
Saver so I'm not sure what went wrong. Any help would be

appreciated
because I'm bummed.

Let that be a lesson to ya. Ixnay on all that lift fin crap and

transom saver
crap and anything else that modifies the stock setup.

I certainly wouldn't nix the transom saver. I never pull my boat
without it. I'd never rely solely on the tilt rams to take the load of
the whole engine when bouncing around the roadways. Using the transom
saver isn't rocket science, it's just a bar that goes from the motor to
the trailer roller to keep the engine from lowering.

tony thomas

You don't necessarily have to use a transom saver. It really depends on the
boat. The trim is designed to and will hold the motor up all the time
unless there is a problem w/ your trim system.
Transom saver is just that - save your transom. The load on a transom from
a 300+ lbs motor bouncing off the back of a transom (especially if you have
a jack plate that has as much as 15" of setback) is enourmous. This device
transferes the load to the trailer and does not allow the motor to bounce.
I know people who have a weak trim system that leaks down over time and will
not hold the motor up. In this case they use a transom saver to keep the
motor up while trailering as well as to transfer the load.
--
Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

-
wrote in message
oups.com...

Capt. Neal® wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message

[...]

Dan Krueger

A transom saver isn't designed to keep the engine from lowering. It
takes the pounding from trailering off of the transom and moves it to
the trailer. That's why they are call *transom* savers! Most will
attach to the trailer with a wire and a pin or just a pin that is
inserted - and then rotated - into a square hole. The other side uses a
bungee to keep that end securely attached to the lower unit. If
installed properly it can't come apart.

The 2X4, which I also have used on difficult trailers, doesn't perform
the same job. The bouncing will still flex the transom with the entire
weight of the motor.

Dan

Dan Krueger wrote:
A transom saver isn't designed to keep the engine from lowering. It
takes the pounding from trailering off of the transom and moves it to

the trailer. That's why they are call *transom* savers! Most will
attach to the trailer with a wire and a pin or just a pin that is
inserted - and then rotated - into a square hole. The other side

uses a
bungee to keep that end securely attached to the lower unit. If
installed properly it can't come apart.

The 2X4, which I also have used on difficult trailers, doesn't

perform
the same job. The bouncing will still flex the transom with the

entire
weight of the motor.

Dan

If the 2x4 goes from the lower unit to the trailer, it certainly will
do the same job, in that it changes the load path.

tony thomas

Probably what happened is the motor bounced and the transom saver fell off
of either the trailer end or the motor end if it was not strapped on.

I always ran the trim down to jam the motor against the transom saver on
boats that used one. And you always need to strap it to the motor. I
assume you strapped it or you would not have had 1/2 of it left.

As for the lower unit. The skeg can be replaced by a prop shop. You need
to verify that everything else is ok first. Take it to a dealer and have
them do a leak/pressure test and verify the propshaft is not bent. If
everything checks out - then have a new skeg welded by a prop shop. They
know how and won't overheat and melt the seals.

--

"Jeff" wrote in message
Just got back from the lake with half a Transom Saver and no fin below the
prop. Had no idea it fell, but it torn up the lower unit. Anybody making
fix kit for outboards? It's a Merc 90hp. I didn't hook up the Transom
Saver so I'm not sure what went wrong. Any help would be appreciated
because I'm bummed.

Doug Kanter

Is that the thing that's supposed to keep the outboard from whomping down
when you're launching/unlaunching? Doesn't the outboard have its own lock to
keep it raised at those times?

Doug Kanter wrote:
Is that the thing that's supposed to keep the outboard from whomping

down
when you're launching/unlaunching? Doesn't the outboard have its own

lock to
keep it raised at those times?

The transom saver holds the motor up while trailering. It has a vee
notch that cradles the bottom end of the motor, and the other end is a
semi-circle that hits the last trailer roller.
See he

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

backing plates sel1 General 28 December 14th 04 08:10 AM
Mercruiser coupler replacement / transom issues Rich General 4 August 10th 04 10:07 PM
transom repair K. Smith General 0 August 7th 04 02:01 AM
how do you bend wood into the boat shape? Marcel Boat Building 63 March 29th 04 06:02 AM
Steam bending basics?? steamer Boat Building 11 August 28th 03 04:29 PM