Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Alone in the ocean

Doing some research for a story.. so please, excuse this basic
information type questioning.

The story takes place on a 150-200; foot barge-type ship. An older one,
single engine, mid 1960s model (or not this isn't specific at all, but
it's not brand spanking new at all). If needed a half dozen or so
people on this ship.

1. Can a boat like that even make it across the Atlantic, will the
waves kill it (does it have capacity for fuel,. etc) Assuming more or
less empty (as opposed to hauling lead or something)

2. Where does a ship like that get electricity?

3. If it can cross the Atlantic, how long would it take (ballpark)

4. If it ran out of fuel in the middle of the ocean without
communication:
a) what are the chances someone "sees" is? How busy is it out there
b) if no one saw it, how long can a ship just sit in the ocean
floating around before the hull rots and water comes in? (months,
years... assume it is just sitting there)
c) can a ship like that anchor... I mean generally how "deep" is the
"middle of the ocean"

Lastly does anyone have a good "bullet point" set of open water laws
(aka can anyone just climb on my ship, who would I tell they did, what
is legal and not legal on a ship in the middle of the ocean?)